Lamp/Light to Grow Food

germin8germin8 Raw Master

I want to grow some herbs and food indoors. Herbs are easy… but I really want to grow food like tomatoes, eggplant, kale. However, e don’t get enough sunlight for plants, unfortunately, so can someone recommend a growing light or lamp?

What are my options? Note… it must be indoors.

Comments

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Anybody…

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

Well I know marijuana growers do it. Have you googled it? The kindergarten teacher at my school grows starter plants inside. I can ask her in late August when we get back. Sorry.

• denzildragondenzildragon Raw Newbie

Check out hydroponics suppliers online – you’ll be able to get the right kinds of lights from them.

bitt, hehe, that’s what my husband said… I haven’t googled. But, denzildragon has at least given me a starting point. I’m totally clueless when it comes to growing any food… I have no green thumb… so any input on those lights is appreciated.

Late August is fine… so if you remember, do share.

cherie03, Thanks for the link. I’ve been looking for plant stands or shelves too… I had no idea they came equipped with “grow” lights too!

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

If you just want to grow greens. Get shop lights 4 feet long. That holds 2 florescent tubes. Put in 1 cool tube and 1 warm tube. You will need two sets of these shop lights for your trays of greens. So that would then be 2 cool florescent lights and 2 warm. One color in each shop light The place you grow greens will have to be on the cool side.AND all lights will make noise. Grow lights are good if you want to grow things like tomatoes ,cucs and peppers.These need a warm place. What ever you grow, make sure the seed is for indoor growing. Johnny’s Seed Company Has seed for indoor growing.

I had no idea there were seeds for indoor growing and outdoor growing. Yikes! I’m glad you mentioned it…

Hmmmm… a warm and cool tube. Wow, I really have no idea what it takes… I need to do research. Thanks for the advice. I think I may start smaller than what I had planned. I certainly didn’t expect the lights to make much noise, or the stands with lights to cost so much.

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Beany, you’re a delightful treasure trove of information. I also had no idea there were seeds specifically for indoor growing. Just shows we’re never too old to learn.