Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Allergic to cashews?

Hi, I’m wondering about something.

I’ve been raw about three weeks and lost about thirteen pounds. It was eighteen, but in the past few days I actually put on a little weight. I’ve been eating a lot of different foods, trying things out, and have eaten just a whole lot of dried fruit, nuts, seeds, raw foods from the store, olive oil, goji berries…just everything.

But last shopping trip I read something online about nut cheese, and the guy recommended cashews so I bought some at whole foods and proceeded to eat an awful lot of them. I didn’t like the cheese I made, but I made a killer veggie dip with the rest of the cashews. In the past couple days I’ve gained about three or four pounds.

I just finished my moontime, so it can’t be that. I am sure my calories are pretty high—I’m 5 10 and I’m tracking about 2000 calories a day. So what do you think? Is there such a thing as a food sensitivity like that, that can just make you gain weight?

R

Comments

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

They’re not raw, so that is why you are having problems with them. Most nuts aren’t raw. Check out our Dead Food List for more on what is raw and what is not. I always feel like a porty pooper when I recommend out Dead Food List, but hey, knowledge is power ;))

• ZanzibarrrZanzibarrr Raw Newbie

I have received today raw (or so they say) cashew nuts from David Wolfe’s Sunfood Nutrition via Shazzie’s detoxyourworld and they’re delicious :) (although not organic to UK standards)

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Livingnutritionals.com sells truly raw cashews.

• Wellll….I know about the Cashew Controversy, but on the site I was reading the guy said that he felt that cashews were “raw enough”

http://www.livingtreecommunity.com/store2/faqs.asp

This is what the guys said, it's at the bottom of the page, a person named Habib Bailey.

...does’t matter though because I’ve eaten other stuff in the past three weeks that wasn’t raw. In the beginning I bought raw carob chips and demolished them and ate storebought trail mix, a million dates and “raw” pecans from whole foods which who knows if they are or not.

So I guess the question is, are there foods that, regardless of whether they’re raw or not, cause people to have reactions?

R

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

From wikipedia: ” The cashew is surrounded by a double shell containing a dermatogenic phenolic resin, urushiol, a potent skin irritant toxin also found in the related poison ivy. Some people are allergic to cashew nuts, but cashews are a less frequent allergen than nuts or peanuts.”

And from Inidiana University website: “Cashews are in the same family as poison ivy and poison sumac. Like the others in this family, the cashew plant contains powerful chemical irritants, so handling and eating raw cashews will cause the familiar itchy skin reaction in people sensitive to the chemicals. People who are sensitive to one plant in the family, for example poison ivy, are likely to be sensitive to others.

Why don’t we get a reaction when we eat cashew nuts, then? The irritants are found in the shell oil, but not in the nuts themselves. So, handling the shell or eating a nut with shell oil on it can cause the reaction.

This is why they’re sold shelled, but why are they roasted? Roasting at high temperature destroys the shell oil, so commercially sold nuts will not trigger a reaction. But, cashew nuts that are still in the shell or that are shelled and roasted at home at lower temperatures may be contaminated with the oil. So, shelling raw cashews is about as much fun as handling poison ivy. “

So when you buy really raw cashews, spare a thought for the poor guys shelling them!!

Really? Lord, poison cashew…I didn’t know that… I guess I’ll stick to my hemp, flax and sunflower seeds… pity, cashew nuts are rawsome…. thank you for the info Zoe… BTW, I have premium grade coconut oil from essence of eden, and the unfiltered olive oil from Sainsburys, do you think they’re alright? And do you think they should go in the fridge? I’ve also have had pine nuts, hazelnuts, and walnuts recently, I usually don’t and… they did not feel raw at all, well… maybe it’s just me…

• jellibijellibi Raw Newbie

That’s funny, I just posted about this topic too.

I’m allergic to poison ivy—and just recently found out that I am allergic to cashews. It feels like getting a poison ivy rash inside your mouth, lips, and (ew) rectum. Yup, it’s not fun.

And the latest info is that it is very, very dangerous for a person who is allergic to poison ivy or mangoes to eat a truly raw cashew (it could be fatal) so be extremely careful!

• jellibijellibi Raw Newbie

Oops, I forgot to put a link to my source:

http://www.wisegeek.com/are-raw-cashews-really-...

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

You explained that really well Zoe. :)

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I hope those guys who hand shell them for Sunfood Nutrition wear gloves!

Kevyn, the oil from Sainsbury’s is raw, coconut butter is usually raw if you are buying good quality. I don’t put them in the fridge.

The pine nuts, hazelnuts and walnuts aren’t usually boiled and steamed during their shelling, but they are, as all nuts are, dehydrated/dried, and who knows at what temperature. After being 100% for 3 1/2/ years I gave up nuts a couple of months ago, now I only use coconuts butter and sprouted sunflower seeds, and I feel really good. I felt good before, but now I feel even better. This change came from within, my body just stopped wanting me to use nuts, it sounds nuts (ha ha) I know but my body tells me what to do all the time and is way more clever than my brain ;))

It wasn’t that they were causing me a problem that I could pin point, but it is just that when I cut them out I just felt like everything had been upgraded, physically and emotionally.

I use avocado, bananas, coconut oil and hemp oil as my ingredients to make things heavy and creamy. No compromise on taste, it is a nice change.

yes it’s good to hear… I am usually pretty unhappy with nuts, but I think it’s probably because of their processing, I love them when they come from my parents garden! Do you get your coconut butter from Shazzie or something? ANd can you find unheated, unrefined hemp oil, or is just only always premium grade? I love the “avocado, bananas, coconut oil and hemp oil to make things heavy”, they’re so light and they’re Light :)

• Zoe-I am glad to hear that you still feel like hemp is ok. I love hemp and banana! It just gives the banana that extra something that makes them more palatable to me. However, I would have a hard time giving up the idea (yes the idea) of almonds because they seem like such a perfect food. They are also great for a snack on the go!

Hmmm, I must say I have to agree with the almonds, they’re the only one I feel ok with in small quantities, but I am afraid I am probably being awfully partial because Cayce recommended them so much and I’ m a huge fan of his. I am a glycothymoline, atomidine, wetcell and animated ash kinda guy!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I use “Good Oil” brand hemp oil. I rang them and they told me/promised me that it had never been heated. It is £5.99 for 500 ml from Tescos. I get coconut butter from my local health food shop. There are many brands that are raw that are sold in most health food shops. Usually if you are buying organic, virgin coconut butter that is about £10/tub then it is raw.

I never shop at detox your world because it is so over priced. Funky raw is usually half the price. www.funkyraw.com I read in Shazzie’s journal that she got sick from eating her own cashews. Something not quite right with them isn’t there?

You can buy spanish and italian almonds, they’re raw (ish) depends on how they are dried, and how can we find that out? I have never been able to, if you guys can let me know ;)

Yes, I know… I mailed them (at Shazzies), to have more info about their cashews, why it was not organic etc etc, they replied “don’t worry, just have blind faith, we only bring you the best!” Oh? ok, such a fool I am, asking questions! ;-) Yes, it IS overpriced I know, pity, and I like Rob, I see him on thursdays in Vauxhall for 5 rhythms! Woyouyou it’s soooooooo cool , you should come once, it’s rawrawrawrawsome! Everybody in London or around, come to CHristians’ 5 rhythms, you won’t regret it:) And I like his olives too (Robs), I mean the ones he sells on his site! Are you coming to the funkyraw festival or will you already be in the country of the sharks and the jets ?

Ah! the sea spaghetties are sold out :(

• If you eat foods that are energy toxins for you, and food allergies are only one type of toxic reaction, then your body will try to dilute the toxins by holding water. Quick weight gain may be a BIG sign for you that whatever you are eating is toxic to you!!!

• :). thanks jenoz!

This is what I was thinking. I’ve eaten a lot of different foods in the past few weeks - carob chips ( not raw); “raw pecans” ( who knows); store bought trail mix ( no way) - but I didn’t have any reaction and actually lost weight and felt better. Then, suddenly.. cashews. So I’m thinking it’s just something I can’t eat, raw or not.

R

• chicorychicory Raw Newbie

cashew trees are cool! i stayed with an herbalist in St. Lucia a few years ago. He had a cashew tree in his yard. From what i understand about food allergies, they usually do not react in a way that causes weight gain, usually the opposite, although a true allergy may cause rash/ swelling. I would not be worried about small fluctuations in your weight though.

• Mangos are also in the family with cashews and poison ivy… People often have sensitivities to them too. I noticed that my eczema flared up big-time whenever I ate cashews, so I stopped using them in my food… avos and coconuts are all I need!

Rawcuss: I had that same major attraction to cashews when I first rediscovered them… they’ve got a seductive way about them… but I listened to my body, and feel better for it!

• Maybe not an allergy, exactly, chicory; maybe just thing that doesn’t agree with me. Not sure. Sunshine, my body has no idea what to make of all this :).

I was just reading about acid/alkaline foods and cashews seem to be on the list of offenders in that way. A lot of nuts are. Maybe that’s part of the issue? I’ve yet to be convinced of the acid/alkaline thing but it’s something to consider.

R

Mango as well! Poison mango, OH no! No way, I love mangoes too much… BTW, talking about Acid/Alkaline, does anyone know why it’s worse to have a slightly alkaline Ph than a slightly acidic ph? I have to say I’d like to know that…

• No idea, Kevyn. Chemically it doesn’t make sense to me. I’m not saying it’s wrong, I’ve just never been able to make heads or tails of it.

R

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Hi kevyn, we were going to go to the Funky Raw but other things got in the way, like getting ready to leave this soggy land ;)

ahhhh soggy, yeah, I know, tell a frenchman about it :(

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Love your new photo, is that in London? It looks like it should be in South America or something ;)