Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Mouth ulcers

Does anyone know why a mouth ulcer starts and is there a natural way to deal with them?

Comments

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

no i used to happen when i had too much sugar but now i am getting them too. no idea why.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

What kind of mouth sore? Is it inside the mouth or on the outside? Where exactly is it? Does it hurt?

• mouth ulcers can be caused by food or virus or combination of the two. it is almost impossible to extract the cause, because it could be a totally different thing for different people. drink lots of water and eat your greens, it’ll go away. wish there was a definitive answer, but what it is for one person may not apply to another.

• It is on the inside of my bottom lip but nearer the gum. It is very painful and when you look at it, it is like a white sore place. It is diminishing but with ‘Bonjela’ applied. I would like a natural alternative. I have started to swish colloidal silver around my mouth and then spit it out. (NICE!) Now, the gum along the back of my lower teeth is tender. It comes after having a huge cold sore. I was wondering if it due to low immune system, or if they are all related as well. When I eat nuts I hit the ceiling. It is too painful. Oh yes, it also comes at the same time as large yellow spots appearing on my face??? I have started drinking white and red grape juice plus other fruit juices about 3 – 4 weeks ago. Fruit has got so expensive for the two of us, and so I buy the 100% fruit juices from asda. It is so much more cheaper on a fixed low income. A lot of these juices contain a huge percentage of white grape juice.

• bluebells: I can’t say anything from my own experiences, but someone posted a couple weeks ago saying that they got a mouth full of sores after drinking pasteurized juice (which, given that you’re buying it from a store, I am assuming your juice is as well). Here is the post: http://www.goneraw.com/forums/3/topics/6875

• Thanks progressive chick. The juices I buy are non pasteurised. But I will check with the shop and find out just for sure.

I forgot to add, bluebells, that if your sores are canker sores, using a non-detergent toothpaste should go a long way to help. Almost all toothpastes contain detergents and this will strip the mucus coating from the inside of the mouth. This opens up the sensitive mucus membrane to all sorts of invations from viruses and bacterias, not to mention irritants from foods that normally should not bother us. It’s just a thought. I know once I stopped using detergent based toothpastes, my problems with canker sores all but vanished.

• Thanks for that. That is so interesting. I use aquafresh. I have been thinking of using just bicarbonate of soda, to avoid the fluoride. Now I’ll just do it instead of thinking about it.Somebody said if you put myrhh on canker sores it heals them. I’ll look up canker sores and see if there is a photo. Then I’ll know if that is what I’ve got.

Myrhh is awesome for oral care! It’s especially good for gums that are “spongy” and for gingivitus(sp?). You can put it in some homemade toothpaste or make a tincture for a mouthwash. WArning, the taste is horrible it’s bitter, so I used to add xylitol, which is also good stuff for oral care. But definately wean off of the detergent toothpaste. I know they taste good, but they’re so horrible.

You can also try a mild wash with a couple of drops of tea tree oil and/or clove oil for infection and pain, but I would try getting off the detergent toothpaste first and see how things go.

• I got a bunch of canker sores and a bad sore throat when I went from cooked vegan to mostly raw, and thought that it may be a vitamin B deficiency. I started taking a veggie-based B complex and they went away. When I finished the bottle and didn’t buy a new one, the symptoms eventually came back. I started taking them again, and the sore throat went away and the canker sores are clearing up.

I forget what vitamins I took originally, but the ones I started taking recently are DailyFoods Balanced B Complex.

• Alix1962 Thank for that. I was hoping Myrhh would taste nice. (depressed sigh). Still, don’t they say that the more bitter tasting the herb, the better it is for you. What is xylitol and where do I get it?

Benny. Someone else said about B vitamins. I stopped taking mine a while ago. I will start them again.

I am dreading the winter. The colds and flu etc., With my illness I can’t afford for my immune system to get any lower. I will start my winter battle early this year to try to build myself up before the onslaught otherwise I’ll be getting more cold sores and canker sores. (even more depressed sigh)

• chicorychicory Raw Newbie

i used to get them when consuming lots of sugar, dairy, chocolate, or caffeiene. haven’t had one since last month though.

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

I got some ulcers when I was doing the Master Cleanse. Otherwise I seem to bring them on by chewing on the inside of my cheeks by mistake, but maybe there’s some other root cause I haven’t figured out. Saltwater garggling helps.

• FeeFee Raw Master

Hi Bluebells, as TomsMom said try avoiding toothpaste without sodiumlaurylsulphate (the stuff which makes it foam). I used to get loads of really big ulcers but they have mainly cleared up since I started this. Have you seen the advert for Iglu? Its a new mouth ucler treatment which is supposed to stick to the ulcer – I always find that bonjela or equivalent always just comes straight off.

Hope it clears up soon, there is nothing worse than the pain and not being able to eat cos of an ulcer.

• Yes, put bonjella in taste the anise and off it comes. I will get some iglu just in case. I have looked into toothpast and don’t like what I read now. I will try just bicarbonate of soda for a while and see what happens.

• I used to get them all the time. After reading “perfect health” i found that i should avoid TOMATOES.

its generally stress and acidity that do it. i also switched to baking soda tooth paste.

i still get them, only if i eat acidic food though.

• jellibijellibi Raw Newbie

Some people get canker sores if they are allergic or intolerant to gluten (me included). Thought I would mention it just in case you eat any grains (wheat, oats, ...) maybe that could be the culprit?

• FeeFee Raw Master

Also I used to get them when ever I bit myself or when I had braces and they rubbed on my mouth, so I guess they can form from an injury site.