Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Costa Rica- Help!!!

JoyceHJoyceH Raw Newbie

For my next vacation (sometime in either spring or fall of 2009)I’d love to do a raw food retreat in somewhere like Costa Rica or the Caribbean with my husband. Does anyone know of any places or websites that have such holidays? I’d also love to incorporate some hiking, biking and outdoor excursions into this type of vacation. I remember someone posted a Bikram Yoga/raw food retreat in Costa Rica for March of 08. Can’t seem to find if that will be happening again. That would be amazing as I do Bikram yoga as well :-)

If anyone knows of any such dream vacations, please let me know. I’d even consider Hawaii, but it’s closer for us to fly into the Caribbean.

Looking forward to responses! :-)

Comments

• Have you tried Wendy Rudell’s place down in Cabo?

She authored Raw Transformation and a few other books…

http://www.milagroretreats.com/retreats/baja-su…

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Here is the Raw Treat from March that you are talking about. The guy who was giving it is a friend of my bf’s and he owns land in Costa Rica that he has a raw/yoga retreat on – I think he is apparently also selling land to people?

http://rawfood.meetup.com/67/boards/view/viewth…

He has a raw food website too but I don’t think there is one for the retreat. His contact email is on there though. www.vivalaraw.org

• JoyceHJoyceH Raw Newbie

Thanks queenfluff! I’ll check it out!

I also found this site that has cool ecotours with low-impact on the environment.

http://www.costaricanadventures.com/index.html

Anyone live in Costa Rica at the moment? Seems like the ideal place to retire too. Better start learning Spanish!

HELLO HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO…over here!!!! :-)

Surely out of 5000+ members there would be more people who have been to Costa Rica.

Please pretty please, tell me about your raw food experiences….

• Hi JoyceH,

I don’t live in CR but I’ve been there a large number of times.

Just to make sure, CR is not really a Caribbean country but a Central American country. It is between Panama and Nicaraugua. It has beaches on both the Pacific Ocean and on the Caribbean Sea.

I am a low fat / simple and whole food diet person so for me the fruits of Costa Rica are to die for. They are delicious and very cheap. I love the bananas, mangoes, mamey, papayas, pineapples, and most everything else. It almost pays for me to go there just to eat as these same fruits are poor in quality and cost a fortune here inside the US.

Greens and salads are also available everywhere. Food is not an issue at all.

As for events, you might want to check out Dr. Doug Graham’s web site: www.foodnsport.com as he does a few events in CR every year. He does a big 6 week fasting event at the start of the year and he does a walking event. I know people who have done both and were talking about them nonstop for months afterward.

They are a bit expensive but if not for health what would you have left anyway?

As for retirement, I would warn you to take your time with that as the real estate market there is way overblown due to the popularity of the place. I started to travel there in 1995 for the first time. I noticed such a huge change over the years I can not believe it is the same place. I wish I had bought some speculative land when I was there that year … but I did not.

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

Hey JoyceH – I was there years ago, not raw, so I can’t help with the retreat, just can tell you what we loved – Arenal (the volcano) and Monteverde (the cloud forest). Arenal has an insane hot spring at the base, an underwater bar if you drink, there’s always water, and you just sit there in paradise and watch the volcano erupt. Hopefully you’ll get a cloudless day. It was one of the highlights of all of our travels. Don’t recommend the caves (giant cave spiders), unless you like giant spiders and a low cramped cave with rushing water. Monteverde was gorgeous like a fairly tale. Could you try emailing Angela Stokes? She lived there raw during her juice feast.

• I do not eat any of the toxic high fat ‘raw’ junk food, so I wouldn’t know that they are difficult to find. If you want raw food though you just have to buy fruits and vegetables and eat them like we are meant to do since the days of Adam and Eve.

and yes, CR is beautiful but with the large amount of foreigners who are buying properties there this is changing fast. I see the country like the US in 10 years.

• Hi! I visit Costa Rica a couple times a year(my boyf was born there)and I my self am Cuban. I have to say unless you plan to eat nothing but fruit while you are there, good luck. I have to second what lezlie said. Life there is very simple. I love it there but I know I would have to simplify my raw food lifestyle. They have great Eco tours that are worth looking into and some of them include lunch which usually means salad and fruit bar along with typical food.

Thanks for all the replies. Leslie, I enjoyed your website and video!! Thanks and very much appreciated.

• I am taking my 17 year old in feb of 2009 to costa rica and currently looking for places to stay and eat; Trying to find a balance between showing my son a good time and encouraging him to eat healthier. I have contacted Eric Rivkin who is a raw food chef and has a farm,costaricabackpackers and also just emailed Cascada Verde if anyone has any updated info on things to do and places to stay I would appreciate any additional info thanks.

• Lezlie do you no if the almonds are pasteurized ? I ask because I have friends going to San Jose soon and Im sure you know about the California problems here. If they sell truly raw can you tell me a place close to downtown San Jose ? Thanks Alot