Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw Moms

13»

Comments

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

Ok, when you say cryogenic encapsulated it makes it sound like they’re made out of dead people.

mamamilk, I’m with you, but my daughter is no Laura Ingalls. In addition to climbing trees and raising tadpoles, she also enjoys her pink Nintendo DS which she bought with her own money made through her own business. This book Anastasia says that you should give them no toys, and I love the idea of that, even though it sounds harsh. I would love to know what kids would do with nothing but nature. But how is that possible in this time? Like you said, you can’t avoid it. My daughter saw the Nintendo at a friend’s house and she loved it and was determined to have it. I just have to hope that our choices balance the outside influences. I have to remind myself that she’s an individual and she may not choose to live like me. When I was a young babysitter, if the parents said “Help yourself to anything you like,” I would gorge myself on whatever junk they had in the cupboard, because I couldn’t get it at home. And now here I am a raw vegan. My parents did the best they could, but it was my own research and experimentation that led me to this path. Have you ever read the book Roxaboxen about an imaginary town that a group of kids create with found objects? When I read it to my daughter years ago she was mesmerized and said, “Can we go to Roxaboxen, please?!” I told her that the whole idea was that anyone could make their own Roxaboxen anytime they wanted to. But she was determined that we were going to travel to Arizona to visit THE Roxaboxen. The only thing I can compare it to is planting seeds. We spend our time as mothers planting seeds of love and health and inspiration and guidance, all of the things we think will nurture them. some of them will get watered and weeded for a few days, some for weeks, some won’t ever get a drop. But every once in a while one of them will grow into a tree that will live with them their entire lives.

Hey Mamas! Hope everyone had a lovely weekend. What have you all been up to? Congratulations on the green smoothies, green girl!

We’re back from our wedding on Martha’s Vineyard. Gorgeous weather, lovely setting, and I managed to stay 100% raw (by eating in our hotel room!). My daughter found a gang of kids at the wedding and they spent most of their time in a tree. I had a challenge on the ferry when she appeared with cup of Dippin Dots (fake ice cream). I momentarily crumbled, but then I remembered what I had said to Angie that the junk is such a tiny percentage of what she eats. That night at the rehearsal BBQ when the other kids were eating hamburgers and hot dogs she was eating a salad by her own choice. I had one interesting conversation with a woman who lives in the Caribbean when my husband told her about my diet. She was dumfounded, it seemed to be the strangest thing she had ever heard, although her husband is a Rastafarian, so she said they have their own rules about food and their child is somewhere in the middle. Has anyone else ever read Anastasia? I’m on the first book and I’m just trying to take it all in. Interesting ideas about man-made toys.

• ms. raw: how’s your daughter? at least your husband is willing to compromise – every step is a step forward. try making smoothies with almond milk, a couple tablespoons of almond butter and a tablespoon of coconut oil – that will give your daughter a little extra calories and fat.

angie: has school started yet? what diabolical raw plans have you come up with so far for your sons class?? heh heh

yay for green smoothies green girl!

yes raw105 its always a good time around here. Live life, enjoy life, don’t major in the minors and simplify – thats a big part of it.

amysue: congratulations on your daughters salad choice . (what are those dippin dots made of anyway? we’ve managed to avoid them so far….)

Here’s my latest musings….I’m always thinking about how our ancestors did it – they lived simply, in simple homes. They didnt have 100’s of choices of this or that crap food in grocery stores, they didn’t have dozens of pairs of shoes and 95 outfits in their closets. So much of what we think we need, we just don’t need to live full, contented and happy lives. The less stuff I have in my life, the more fulfilled I am. Cool dichotomy. So here is my rant: who the heck decided that a kid needs their own wing of a house complete with media room, play room and whatever else? Back in the day, you had 6 or 7 very content happy kids in a 1600 sf or smaller home! They didn’t have every gaming station and plastic noise making toy filling 2 playrooms with toxic gases. They played outside – they climbed trees like amysues daughter, they caught tadpoles and watched them become frogs, they made mudpies and scaled hills and found fossils and collected leaves and sticks and made go carts out of daddy’s scraps from the garage. They explored fields or areas of their neighborhood and found wild blackberries growing in the most peculiar places and ate them right off the bush. They didn’t have to learn to like raw foods – they discovered and enjoyed them for themselves. This was my childhood and I am so very blessed by it. I want to give my kids something like that. It’s hard when you go to outdoor festivals and the kids see those ‘dippin dots’ like amysue experienced – sadly, these fake things (food and material items) are colorful and fun looking and no matter how raw, organic and natural we are or raise our kids to be, the pull of the world is there… so what we do is let our kids have lots of opportunity to experience creation and all its beauty.

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Dippin Dots are tiny beads of ice cream, yogurt, sherbet and flavored ice (wording from their website). The ice cream is cryogenic encapsulated…a scientific way of saying using super-cold freezing methods to make little beads of ice cream.

• Which brings up my favorite quote about potential:

“Anyone can count the number of seeds in an apple, but NO ONE can count the number of apples in a seed”

The potential of ONE SEED….wow….to produce a tree which produces countless fruits. Good stuff. Yes, we give them what we can and know that one day they will make the choice for themselves. With a 21 year old son, I can attest to that.

....and, my parents gave my kids a Wii for christmas last year. the first gaming system in this house. shoot, we don’t even have rabbit ears for the tv. (which my dad bought the tv for us as well – unsolicited I might add – they thought us a little weird, no tv and all) ‘whadda ya gonna do? for that sort of entertainment, we pretty much stick with the DVD’s from our video club when it comes to media. having older sons, yes, the pull of the material world is HUGE. My 19 year old…..ugh, I just have to close his door and just major in the majors…. (in addition to his own tv, systems, etc he bought with his own money, he bought himeself a personal fridge to keep his SAD foods in…so help me)

Roxaboxen sounds wonderful, I want to go there. : )

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

amysue – How cool, that your daughter has her own business! That’s something I’m trying to teach my son – to work for things. He is soooo unmotivated by money. He is motivated by being connected with people – which explains why it’s hard for him to eat healthy at parties. :P

He has decided not to eat all raw, for now, he’ll eat healthy at home, with raw food AND cooked food, and at parties he will eat what he wants (of course, I still limit amounts).

mamamilk – diabolical plans, huh? I am just trying to get him to try on clothes so I know what fits him for school this year…I am going crazy with all the stuff we have around here right now.

Funny you guys mentioned Laura Ingalls; my son and I have been reading the “Little House” series this summer. :) I spent a lot of time outside as a kid (we lived in a small rural town & didn’t have TV until I was 14). I think my problem is making time to go outside with my son – he doesn’t adventure well on his own, and most places it’s not safe for him to do so, anyway.

I’m going to meet my son’s teacher on Thursday night, so maybe I’ll talk to her about the treat/prize/party issues, but I’m realizing I’m not going to likely have the time & money to be involved in a big way.

mamamilk – my husband and daughter are desperate for a Wii! They’ve played it at friends houses and I think I will be the loser in this debate. There will be limits, though.

angie – we just got a postcard from my 11 year old niece which is an old photo of Laura Ingalls Wilder from her museum, an important stop on their summer vacation since my niece adores her. I read the first two books to my daughter but she had a hard time getting past the first chapter of Little House in the Big Woods with the pig slaughter. She cut me off at book two but she’s inherited most of them so maybe someday. Good luck with the teacher meeting!

• Hi, I’m pretty new here, but I thought I’d chime in. I have been a vegetarian for 19 years, vegan for many of those years, but only RAW for the past 5 months. I’ve been enjoying it for sure. I am a single parent to 1 adorable 6 year old daughter. She’s been a vegetarian for her whole life, and vegan for most of it, but she likes french toast (with eggs). She has lots of food allergies: nuts, soy, sesame, oat, and dairy are the biggies. She’s outgrown her dairy allergy, so at parties she can have pizza and cake now. Because of her food allergies, most of the RAW dishes I eat have at least 1 thing that she can’t have. But she loves green smoothies, and carob banana pudding, and raw veggies and fruit. She has so many food issues that I don’t intend to transition her to raw, I’ll let her do it on her own. She eats cooked beans almost every day!

By the way, I agree about the not needing all of the STUFF in our modern lives. When my daughter was 4 months old, I left my alcoholic and abusive ex-husband. We ran out with her diaper bag stuffed with a few clothes and my purse. So for a couple of months we had none of her baby gear that I had thought we needed except her stroller and car seat! She took baths with me on my lap, and I held her in my sling, or she’d play with her 1 toy that I had brought. We were so fine and happy… and didn’t even miss all of the baby gear that our society says we all need. It is amazing what we can live happily without.

Wow littlegems, that’s amazing! So good to have you here! I can imagine it must be a struggle with the food, sounds like you’ve got it worked out pretty well, though. My Mom and sister used to work for a domestic abuse hotline in their small town in VT. They would take the calls in the middle of the night and teach the women how to get restraining orders or go to court with them. It was quite an education for all of us. I was similar with the baby stuff. We never had baby furniture or bottles and I realize now we could have done without a whole lot of the other gear that was given to us.

Hey Moms! I’m back from jury duty. Our jury kicked butt, such a great group of people. As much as I dreaded it, it was such a positive experience.

Anyway, anyone have any back to school thoughts or concerns?? I know we’re not quite there yet but the catalogs are rolling in, kids are getting their class assignments…

In my case it’s my daughter’s birthday that’s coming up so it’s my second annual, do I bake a cake debate, and I think I’m going to be, only organic. My oven’s going to have a shock – to be turned on! I should probably throw out last year’s flour that’s been in the freezer. Also need to find eco-friendly party favors with a tropical theme.

I signed up to be the Room Mom for my son’s class when we went to meet his teacher last night & I told her I want to be able to decide (at least in part) what kind of food is served at parties. Since we can’t bring home made stuff, I’m going to settle for no sugar or corn syrup and no food dyes (that seems to be a huge culprit in my son’s mental function. I told her that I will gladly pay for a lot of the things, since I know candy is cheap. Luckily, for prizes, she has options for children to choose from, only one of which is candy – the others are things like pencils. I’m going to bring stuff like that for prizes if/when we have parties that include games with prizes. I’m opting for things like fruit leather & crackers for prizes, and juices & fresh fruit/veggie/cracker trays at parties. If there is a dessert, it will be cookies I buy at the health food store or something. It’s going to cost me quite a bit, but I wanted to homeschool and don’t have that opportunity now, so this is the next best way – to be involved with my son’s education and to help make sure he isn’t inundated with “foods” that will compromise his ability to learn and grow properly.

One good thing that came from my son’s decision to eat only raw food (which lasted 3 days) is that I got rid of a lot of the cooked foods, and I told him I’m not going to spend the money to re-buy everything he used to have. So he has at least as many raw options that he likes (mostly just varying kinds of “ice creams” made with a variety of ingredients, including lettuce when he’s not watching) as he has cooked options – which consist of bread, peanut butter, all-fruit spread, popcorn, eggs, and potatoes, and once in a while some whole-grain molasses muffins. I’m making sure he gets good nutrition, but without giving him so many cooked choices that he forgets about eating raw stuff. Diabolical, I know. ;) heeheehee

Go angie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This sounds like a brilliant compromise, so happy that you were able to take this on. I’m sure you will influence many other parents positively.

I’m so glad my jury duty is over. My husband had his hands full so I give him a lot of credit, but yesterday was a rough day at court – long, emotional and tiring and when I arrived home they were out at the local carnival. When they finally arrived home I was looking forward to a big hug, but she came in the door stuffing her face with cotton candy which my husband told her needed to be put away because it was bedtime. So my first vision of my daughter yesterday after two days of being away was her stuffing her face with colored sugar and crying. Good to be home!

amysue – Awwwww! I feel for you! As for influencing other parents positively, I’ve kind of realized that it’s pretty hard to change people’s ideas when they’re set in their ways, and I don’t like to try to change other people (hard enough to change myself, for goodness’ sake!) – but I know that experiences in childhood can come to mind later in life, but if one never has the experience, one can never REMEMBER how good it felt to munch down on fresh fruit at a party! I do similar things with my nieces and nephews. I never tell them what they should eat, but whenever I go to babysit, I take exra food and share it whenever they want. Then, later in life, when they are making their own decisions, they will know that I made good-tasting healthy food, and they will know where they can come to learn how or to find out more, no matter how many Fruity Pebbles they et in the meantime. I just want to make healthy, positive avenues open to kids so they’ll have good options in the future.

Ok, so I reached my limit of battling the junk food coming at us from all angles so I decided to teach my almost 8 year old daughter to feed herself in the hope that it would empower her to eat well. Our kitchen is built high so she can’t reach anything without a stool, so she never bothers. To solve this problem I pulled her little play table out of the playhouse and set it up in the kitchen with a small cutting board, a jar of utensils (peeler, spoons, etc.), and a cool new grater that collects the shavings so you can dump them out. Now that I had her station set up I had to rearrange the kitchen so that she could reach what she needed. I took things out of the high cupboards like raw honey, coconut butter, cinnamon, salt, and put them on a tray on the counter. Then I bought one of those restaurant oil and vinegar dispensers and filled them with olive oil and apple cider vinegar. In the fridge I made a shelf just for her of fruits and veggies we know she likes, and a low shelf in the door for nut butters and condiments. She is SO EXCITED. And I am so excited because she will now be preparing her own breakfast, lunches and snacks!

• Any Raw Mommies in the Bay Area (Northern CA)? We’ll be going to Cafe Gratitude on Sunday 8/30/08, 12’ish time located on 9th & Irving. Feel free to join us.We’ll be in the Green Room.

• Oh wow Shanel, Me Me! I’d love to meet up with you. I’m in the suburbs behind the Oakland hills, so I usually go to the Cafe Gratitude in Berkeley. I have a 6 year old daughter who is allergic to nuts, so it is difficult for her to find anything to eat there. But, last time I took her there I ordered her a side of avocado and a fruit bowl, and she was happy. :)

I’ll put it on my calendar and see if we can make it to the City and join you. :)

• One thing though, I just checked my calendar and Sat. is 8/30! So is it on 8/30 or is it on Sunday 8/31?

• My husband and I are parents to two boys ages 8 and 10. We are not strict about what the boys eat at home because our fridge and pantry are always full of healthy foods, no junk. They love the meals I prepare for them. Although they are not 100% raw (about 50%) and they do have more of a vegetarian diet. Where I have run into some problems is when they are away from home. I tell them to try to make the right decisions about what their bodies need for nutrition. I try not to worry about what they are eating when they are at their friends houses. I don’t want to stress them out over food which is what my parents did with me. Some people (especially our neighbors kids) really make it hard for them though. Our boys have always been at a healthy weight and our neighbors and their kids are very obese. Their 10 year old daughter weights at least 160 lbs (which is exactly what I weight now and I’m 5 ’ 8” and still on the heavy side). It is very sad but I honestly think that if they were not obese, my kids would be over there everyday trying to get sweets and junk from them. They see what junk does to the body but they are still wanting it on occasion. My 10 year old is good about only taking very small portions if he is offered junk or sweets but my 8 year old has a very hard time and has come home on several occasions with a stomach ache and cheetoes powder from ear to ear. Then he had pepsi or coke one day and he was literally shaking for about an hour until he fell asleep and took a two hour nap which he never does. Peer pressure is what worries me, heck even I’m tempted at times. I’m not worried about them having junk but what I am worried about is them being able to only have small portions, not going “hog” wild whenever they are around it. How do you get an eight year old to say no to junk or at least no when to stop? I don’t want to be the parent who controlls everything in their kids life because they are getting to the age when they wont be with me 24/7.

Are there any learning materials/books that they could read dealing with this?

Hey heartofgold! Your problem is so universal. I go through the same thing. I don’t know of any books, although maybe Dr. Sears has written something about it. My daughter always reports back to me what was eaten at a friend’s house or party, maybe because I praise her when she says she controlled herself and only had a little. I think she always feels slightly obligated, though, to accept if something is offered. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

I’m having a problem with rituals. My daughter recently went to a carnival with my husband and came back stuffed with cotton candy, because when you’re at a carnival, that’s what you do. When we go to the movies she begs ahead of time for movie popcorn and candy, because when you go to the movies, that’s what you do. Not to mention Halloween, my nightmare. This week when we went to the movies she asked ahead of time for a snack pack they offer in a cool box. I suddenly got really angry and thought, when did parents become prisoners of these corporations that push cheap chemical junk on our kids??! So I said no, there’s no reason for you to have that when I can bring along organic popcorn, a homemade treat and a bottle of water. And she was fine. I struggle with the concepts of unschooling and letting them find their way as opposed to controlling what goes into them. If we were talking about her stuffing herself on homemade cookies or the treats of yesteryear that would be one thing, but now we’re up against a host of artificial poison that almost surely is linked to behavioral and learning disorders. That’s where I draw the line.

• Hello Mamas! This is my first peek into this thread and wow, can I relate! I have an 8 year old son who is open and tries whatever I make, but since he spends equal time between ours and his father’s house it is nearly impossible to monitor what he eats. Fortunately, his father is more on the health conscious side, and although he doesn’t eat raw, he at least prepares healthy meals. Where I find the most difficulty, is as heartofgold and amysue state – peer pressure and school. I don’t want to be overly strict with him and end up pushing him to eat junk out of rebellion, but I do feel it is my responsibility as his mother to raise him with sound nutritional principles. One of the craziest things I’ve come up against with respect to school is that the district put out a statement last year that children would no longer be allowed to bring in homemade snacks to share with other classmates – birthday parties, daily co-op snack – but had to bring in pre-packaged items from a health inspected facility, i.e. bakery. Say what?! I didn’t know whether to laugh or scream – so I did both! We were now being forced to purchased corn syrup filled, pre-packaged garbage and told that our treats made with our own hands, whole ingredients and love were not acceptable. Of course it was all for the safety of the children… We have back to school meetings with the teachers within the next couple of weeks and I’ll be having the same discussion I do each year about my position on candy in the class as reward for good behaviour as well. I just don’t get it.

heartofgold, I’m unaware of any books out there on this topic, myself. I’ve just been doing the best I can to instill good values in my son and hope he makes the right choices as he gets older – just as we are all doing. amysue, I read your earlier post about creating space in your kitchen for your daughter and think that is wonderful! What a statement to her of your care for her health, not to mention encouraging her independence. I, too, struggle with rituals and regularly bring snacks to movies, the zoo, carnivals and Halloween has become a dreaded event. Before going raw, my former husband and I agreed to institute a tradition of the “candy witch” (please no one take offense to the term…she is a good witch!). Each year, he would be allowed to keep a few pieces he collected and the rest went into a bag on the porch. During the night, the fair “witch” would come and replace the bag o’sweets with a special toy or book he had been wanting. It’s worked so far, but that still means he’s getting garbage. This year I’m looking for alternatives to the whole trick or treat thing.

Thanks to all for sharing your experiences. It’s great to be reminded that we are not alone in our challenges!

• Great thread! I am 100% raw, with two kids ages 3 and 1. They are not raw but vegan. And they do eat a lot of raw foods. The love their smoothies in the morning ever since I started making a big deal, singing a song while serving it to them with a straw in their favorite cup.

Lady Raven – the candy witch is BRILLIANT!! I’m seriously thinking of offering my daughter a trade in. Your school policy issue is really interesting. When my daughter was at a coop preschool they had some serious allergy policies so when we took turns bringing in the snack there were lots of rules. In their case, if you wanted to bring in something homemade you would have to let the allergy parents know so they could provide an alternative, maybe along the same lines so their kids wouldn’t feel left out. Everyone always included some fruit so I was wondering if fruit is allowed. We would have to bring it in and cut it on their cutting boards, but things like grapes were easy. I hope they don’t outlaw fruit!!

rawleen – love the smoothie preparation ritual, whatever it takes!

Our food preparation experiment has been a huge hit, although the honey seems to be disappearing at an alarming rate. The only thing I didn’t consider was the fact that she might want us to eat her creations. So far my husband has had the honor of being served her cinnamon pudding – honey, maple syrup, sugar (which she must have climbed high to find), cinnamon and a few blueberries floating on top. He’s a good Daddy. I declined because it wasn’t raw. She also has a very heavy hand with the cinnamon. Last night she sliced up a banana, spread the slices on a plate and buried them in cinnamon, then put a blueberry on each slice. I’m now showing her the prices of food items, such as agave because I can see her drinking that as a beverage.

I wanted to share one of my daughter’s all-time favorite recipes, avocado fries http://www.welikeitraw.com/rawfood/2007/06/avoc…

• amysue – I got the idea of the candy witch from another parent and am happy to share it whenever I can! I hope it works for you, too. Although, I’m not sure how much longer my son is going to buy it…he’s wise to my trickery. And your daughter’s food preparation is so precious! Expensive, but precious! And how sweet she is being so creative with her cinnamon banana presentation. Kids are so great.

Thank you for the avocado fries recipe! That sounds fun. We’re having a party this weekend and this is going on the menu!

Lady Raven – hope you like the recipe. The only challenge i find is having enough ripe avocados to feed all of us at one time.

The cinnamon bananas ended up on the furniture and I’ve tried for two days to get cinnamon out of a slipcover. Guess that’s why people eat at tables.

• Yes Amysue. Ha Ha. Or you could just be a NORMAL person like in our family and sit on the floor eating with your hands…jk

btw, I can’t believe that no one has gone into a sugar coma – wow. and the honey – whew that can get expensive! my husband is the one in our family that eats it at an alarming rate. heh heh. but love the self-shelf ideas. that is great!

Trades are good. But actually, we just try to tell them to avoid the initial offensive thing in the first place and bribe them with something else (a special ‘date’ or outing – something like that). and we just have to make sure we follow through… ha ha.

Keepin it real, simple and full of love. Life is short. Carpe Diem. (even if sometimes cotton candy attacks…)

• I am a mom of 2 kids, 6 year old girl and 3 year old boy. I have just started this raw journey. I have Fibromyalgia and read that the raw diet can be a cure. I have been medicated for too long and want to get off my meds. I have actually found this way of eating to be easy. I prefer raw veggies anyways so I have just been playing around with my dehydrator for the gourmet meals. My son will try some of the items I make but my daughter will not. She is on a modified diet already (no gluten or casein). She used to be very picky but is better now. But raw is a little much for her. My hope is to get both of them to have as much raw food as possible. My husband is happy I am making salads and will eat that. He thinks other items are odd but will try them mostly. He is glad I am eating better. I had a bad habit of eating cereal a lot. He used to call me on it all the time. I was exhausted and it was an easy meal. I have had so much more energy since I starting eating real food. Many of my symptoms have decreased especaially digestive. I have lost 9 lbs over the last month (started weight watchers first). I used to be thin and active but Fibromyalgia loaded 40 lbs on me in a year. I was an Occupational Therapist and very busy. Then I started to have pain, fatigue and loss of memory. I have been home for a year and spent most of that time in bed or the couch. I tried to exercise but was in so much pain. I am now doing latin dance 3-5 times a week. I have almost no pain now.

• wow amy sue, my daughter is just starting to get into helping me prepare food and she loves the cinnamon also… we were making this apple dessert and i turned my back for a second and she dumped about a tablespoon of cinnamon on top! but she ate it… I think its amazing to have her ‘help’ prepare food, she stands on a chair to reach the bench, most of her helping is just eating whatever i’m chopping up – i was really surprised the other day when she picked up a beet from the cutting board and just started munching away… before that she wasn’t into harder veges raw… now she happily eats carrots straight out of the ground. this summer is our first vege garden and i think it really helps kids want to eat vibrant and alive food if they’ve helped and watched it grow. Imogen also loves the strawberry patch of course. i cant wait till the pumpkins are ready… we did the anastacia method of planting and the pumpkin seeds are what i gave her to put in her mouth and then in the ground.

rawcure-what an amazing story… thats so awesome you’ve found raw foods. maybe just your kids into lots of fruit for now and see where that leads

• amysue – oh my goodnes what a mess! It’s all fun and games until someone gets cinnamon on the couch! Good luck – I wish I had a recommendation for getting it out! :)

rawcure – welcome! What an amazing healing journey you have before you. Well done making such a commitment to your self.

artistruth – I completely agree. Growing their own veggies is great for kids. I remember my mom’s garden when I was little and she used to have to shoo me out of it so there’d be something left to harvest! And then I wouldn’t eat the cooked veggies…go figure! I haven’t heard of the anastacia method and will have to check that out.

Welcome RAWcure :)

For Halloween, we never go trick or treating any more. We used to trade for stuff, but now I do a treasure hunt for my son instead, hiding things like little toys or stickers around the house & then giving him clues to find them. The first year, I just explained that we were going to do this instead of going out in the cold to collect candy he wouldn’t be keeping anyway, and now he is already looking forward to it this year.

As for school, he gets free school lunch, so he was going & eating chicken nuggets & chocolate milk & pudding instead of the lunch I packed for him, so I went back to “healthier” (than at school) choices instead of raw or vegan, so he would have things he likes well enough that hopefully he will not want the school lunch. At least soy milk with molasses is his “chocolate milk” now and he loves it! I don’t know if he is eating school lunch stuff these days or not, but I’m just doing the best I can for him at home. I don’t want him to have food stress issues, either. At least he knows to stay away from red food dye, and it makes a huge difference for him.

• For the last couple of years at halloween we have gone trick or treating to a few houses until we get to a friends house and then the kids pass out candy to all the kids until the candy is gone. I trade the candy for healthier versions (I found dark chocolate with beet juice at Rainbow Grocery in SF). They have a piece and then forget about it after halloween. We moved recently so we will not be doing this ritual this year though.