Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

dehydrator issues?

hi all – i use an Excalibur dehydrator and for some reason, i can never get any of the cracker recipes to come out crispy. ive tried more time, less time, varying thicknesses, and they always come out more like a flat bread, than a cracker. (which is fine – ive made some great meals with them – but lately ive had a real hankering for something crunchy..) Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Comments

• Have you tried just mixing flax seeds and sea salt and a little water? The “glue” of the flax tends to bind really well. Also, if you try a higher heat at first (say, 120 degrees) and then reduce after a few hours, it may give you a crisper cracker.

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Yes, a little more water will help. Are you doing whole flax seeds or ground? I noticed that ground will produce more crispy – soaked you get chewy.Also, dehydrating longer for certain recipes tends to produce a crispier cracker too.

• Thanks for your advice. Im going to try some ‘experiments’ this weekend. Ill let you know how they turn out!

• I would recommend making the cracker as thin as possible using a spatula, dehydrating longer and making sure to turn and flip the cracker off of the teflex sheet onto mesh sheet halfway. Also, I stick my crackers in a freezer bag after dehydrating and stick them in the freezer. They come out even fresher and crispier.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Another tip… use parchement paper instead of teflex sheets. They dehydrate from the bottom better.

So you get more of flat bread? Does it stay together that soft? If so… what’s the secret there?