Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tooth paste or tooth not to paste?

shgadwashgadwa Raw Newbie

That is the question.

I use one that is more natural than most, from a company called melalueca. It does not have fluoride in it. Also, if anyone uses regular toothpaste or cleaners or anything like that…. you would be doing yourself a HUGE favor by getting rid of them.

Now, I have read a few things. One dentist says to use baking soda, salt or just plain water. Says a lot of toothpastes have sugars and things you cannot pronounce in them… and they can help tooth decay.

Then there is natural toothpastes…. what do you use?

Comments

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

I either use baking soda or I use peelu.

• I use a brand called “Tom’s of Maine”. No fluoride and better then most commercial toothpastes. I’d like to try baking soda though and save a few dollars.

• i use a tooth powder i buy from my nutritionist, dr. fred bisci-i forget the name and also a remineralization powder if anyone’s interested I can get you the information

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

you have to at least brush (not so important what you brush with) and floss. I am determined that it is very important if you want to keep your teeth. If any health problems I have heard of with raw foodists it is their teeth.

• I use Tom’s of Maine…even thought I just found out that they were bought out by Colgate/Palmolive and they test on animals…eeeek

• I use a tooth powder made locally in my area, but you can also buy it online: http://www.allnatural4me.org

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

Baking soda is usually my choice. I’ve also used Dr. Bronner’s Soap (peppermint). It’s a little weird at first, but you get used to it :)

Cheers, Kristen Suzanne

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

Sometimes I put a drop of peppermint essential oil on my toothbrush along with baking soda. Works like a charm and gives fresh breath. The important thing is to change your toothbrush often – once bristles start spreading it’s worse than useless. My oral hygienist recommends changing brushes once every 2 months. I also use a Japanese eggplant/salt powder that works great too. I’m a little lazy with flossing…

• ZanzibarrrZanzibarrr Raw Newbie

This is what Gabriel Cousens said, as seen on Courtney’s blog

Toothpaste, even natural toothpaste, is very bad for your teeth.

Suggested substitutes:

Neem oil, neem powder (can be mixed together into a paste)

• Combo of peppermint oil, menthol, coconut oil, oregano
    • Hydrogen Peroxide (only if you have no mercury fillings or metal in the mouth)
    • Water picking

and what he says about fluoride as well :

Fluoride is another big contributor to neurological degeneration.

Fluoride:

Increases the aging process

• Decreases spiritual willpower (it was used in concentration camps for this very reason)

What David Wolfe recommends in the sunfood diet success system :

Wadging like the primates is an excellent way to heal the mouth of pyorrhea, gum disease and cavities. Wadging means to load your mouth with greens and chew and compress the pulpy matter into the teeth and gums like a ball-player who chews tobacco. Continue to chew and compress the pulpy matter in the mouth for 30 to 45 minutes without swallowing. I have done this everyday for weeks at a time for lunch by chewing on mouthfuls of wild malva for 20-30 minutes – Wadging with wild foods heightens the healing potential.

This is what Edgar Cayce recommended in cases of Pyorrhea, (which looks still interesting when you don’t have any)

1. Massage gums thoroughly for five minutes twice a day with Ipsab. Repeatedly apply a liberal quantity of Ipsab to the tip of the finger and massage the gums vigorously on all surfaces. After the massage, rinse out the mouth with an undiluted solution of Glyco-Thymoline.

2. Brush teeth once each day in the evening before retiring with a mixture composed of equal parts of common table salt and sodium bicarbonate

3. Eat a large raw vegetable salad each day.

(Ipsab is a compound composed of prickly ash bark, sea water, calcium chloride, sodium chloride, iodine trichloride (trade name: Atomidine), and essence of peppermint. )

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

The dentist told me that when you don’t keep your mouth clean, you get a build up of bacteria which create toxins that you swallow all day, and that this can be a contributing factor in heart disease!

• I use a mint tooth paste from a line of Austrailian skin care I represent. The ingredients speak for themselves:certified organic aloe barbadensis (aloe vera) leaf juice, aqua, sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), xanthan gum, sea salt, certified organic mentha spicata (spearmint) essential oil, certified organic mentha piperita (peppermint) essential oil, certified organic cinnamomum zeylanicum (cinnamon) leaf essential oil, certified organic syzygium aromatica (clove) bud essential oil, stevia rebaudiana extract. I love it and the lemon flavor is really excellent as well! Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

• clr-1976clr-1976 Raw Newbie

I use Jasons toothpaste ‘sea somthing’ cant remember, might be sea fresh. Or Green People mint toothpaste, I prefer the taste & texture of the jasons toothpaste, tried to find it on that cosmetic safety database (http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/index.php?noth…) but couldnt, so I think its ok,if anyone knows any diff please could you let me know?

I also oil pull in the morning, organic sunflower oil with some peppermint essential oil, I find they feel cleanest this way. Am a bit bad at flossing enough too :-( Need to get better.

Bitt – you said If any health problems I have heard of with raw foodists it is their teeth.

Could you expand on this?

• SuzicalSuzical Raw Newbie

I use ORAMD. Developed by two dentists, it is the oil of spearmint, peppermint and almond and kills all mouth bacteria. Great for the gums as well. The oil gets in all of the nooks and crannies between the teeth.