Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

raisin' a question!

I was just wondering if any one knows if store bought sunmaid raisins are cooked? I made some in my dehydrator and they turned out a lot different from the store bought ones. Thanks.

Comments

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

I’m not sure at what temperature they are dehydrated but I am sure it is high enough to kill all the nurtrients plus a sulphuric acid is usually put on the grapes before dehydrating… At least that is what the old normal proceedure was, doubt it has changed much…

Bet yours tasted wonderful, didn’t they?

• Yes, they are very good. They are not gooky like the store bought ones, and they are bigger. I used both green and purple grapes and the green ones started turning brown so I thoght they were going bad, but they taste great and most likely the purple ones did the same thing and I could not see it through the dark skin. I am keeping them in the fridge because I am not sure about storage so I would love to hear some comments on storage for my raisins in case I decide to make a lot more. Thanks.

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

I believe the sulphuric acid makes them hold on to their natural color, without it they would turn brown… I think the refrigerator is fine for storage as well as the freezer… I bet a vacuum sealer would also work and you would have longer shelf life… But I’m extremely new to vacuum sealing and am only guessing… Mine came today, is that new enough??? LOL

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

pulse may I ask how high of heat did you have your grapes on and how long did you have them drying?

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

can you buy raw raisins? are all organic ones raw?

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I recommend keeping them in the fridge or freezer, because it’s hard to get food dry enough to store on the counter.

• I sun-dried my own raisins a few years ago and they’ve kept really well in a jar since then… they’re my special treat. I got them really dry though, before storing them.

• Storebought raisins are brown too….

• It took me about 3 to 4 days to make raisins. One reason why I was worried about the grapes going bad is because it took so long. I have read posts on here about raw bread going bad in the dehydrator because of long drying times. When the temp has to be low it really takes a while even though I start it out at a higher temp than 118 degrees. It is certainly not economic, but it seems like everything about raw is not economic unless you are foraging!!!

I have heard commercial raisins, organic or not, is not raw.Just like all other dried fruit. If it were raw it would say on the pkg. or bins, etc.

• Yes, beany I am finding that out the hard way! Although what is frustrating is when the health food store owner tells you things are raw if they say they are raw and then you find out that they are not. Why do some of the companies lie? And then some new people to raw, like some of my freinds and myself, get so confused. So thanks to you all!!!

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Correct. If a package says raw it does not mean living! Raw but not living means they are using the ingredient ‘unadultered’ or minimally processed… something like that.

When you see something labelled raw, check if it says something about the temperature it was processed in. However, Whole Foods almonds and other nuts/seeds say raw. When almonds were pasteurized, the word raw is no longer on the almonds, but still on the other nuts/seeds. That led me to believe their nuts/seeds labelled raw are truly raw! Well, except they are dormant seeds (i.e. not growing/activated, yet!)

FYI: The difference between soaking your nuts and germinating your nuts… is simple. You can soak your socks in water. But, you certainly can’t germinate your socks. hehe Germinating means to cause to grow… to begin growing… its living… alive… bioactive.

And remember, (some/most/all) Larabars may be raw… but I am certain they don’t germinate. I called them once to ask if they germinate nuts, but they didn’t have an answer… so, assumed they don’t germinate. I figure they would certainly know if they did.

I stand corrected. You are right. Raw may not mean raw. Maybe we should be called living vegans…? It can be confusing.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

hehe That’s too funny, beany. Living Vegans.

I know this is off the subject but I would like to know if sky princess was ever raw princess. If you are I would like to thank you for a scripture that was put on another forum….................................

Thanks for the time,

Right now I have 4 trays of the green pop corn in the dehydrator, smells ohhhhh so yummy!

GRAPES I do want to say I didn’t want to use so much electrics doing my grapes, so put them in the processor for about 7 pulses then, because of all the juice that came out, strained them before putting them on a sheet and dried,. still took 3 days.but I dry at 110…also, I forgot to take the sheet from under them later on, and turn them over. ( these were not made into leather)