Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

The Condition of Our Soul

13»

Comments

• shgadwashgadwa Raw Newbie

Yes, beany, I did know that…Isn’t that amazing.

I believe it is speaking about when Jesus returns.

alix1962, then if you are disgusted, do not read this thread.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

Pfffft. The big, bad lesbian is not going anywhere, God boy.

• Paxton SquiggledyPaxton Squiggledy Raw Newbie

Alix…

I mo gitcha!

jk, babe. CYEM

I have to admit paxton, I am often very busy and have not had time to read ALL of someone’s post, before replying….

But, if I would have spent more time to read what you originally said on page 2, I would have known that you were a Christian….

But, I do not believe the bible is the only good book. There are a lot of other books, some are really inspired of God. Although I never read it yet, the book of Enoch is great. In fact, many NT writers quoted from that book. The dead sea scrolls are good reads too. There are books of the early church. I wish I had more time to read this stuff but I do not.

Flavious Josephus, was a Jew historian, lived around the time Jesus walked the earth. He has some very good reads.

Also, this is what my dad told me and I think he is right….The holy bible, is not very holy. It is really just a book. The words inside it, is God’s living word. And God is holy. But seems as if the book, is not very holy. If it was holy, then we would not be allowed to touch it unless we were washed in his blood.

Alix…

I mo gitcha!

jk, babe. CYEM “

What does that mean?

• Alix1962, you nailed the obnoxiousness of all this bible thumping right on the head. It is AGGRESSIVE, and just feels like religious SPAM. shgadwa, sorry, but you have no right to tell Alix or anyone else not to read these posts. This is a public forum, and generally a place people come to for support and comfort. And it is not religion that people are necessarily rejecting, but the tone of this thread. Instead of actually engaging and having a true dialogue, you are doing what most fundamentalists do, hiding behind scripture, twisting it and hitting everyone over the head with it. It is disrespectful and disruptive. I have to say that I humbly disagree with Kandace regarding the acceptance of the pro atheist and pro religious posts. Although I am a firm believer in the first amendment (I know, I know, this isn’t journalism, but…), I feel these topics often devolve into arguments that go nowhere, and hardly become healthy debates. I hope in the future that Kandace and Ray will possibly consider more intensive monitoring of this type of content as I feel it truly takes from the original intent of goneraw.

• Alix 1962, The fact is, that we Christians are one big family. It doesn’t matter what our denomination. God loves us all, atheists included. We are all His children with the one Father. Families talk and when one of us needs help, we talk it through. Sins of the flesh are the biggest ‘Tool’ next to television, that the devil uses to try and take people away from God. Masturbation is used by lots of people, male and female. It is no less a sin than if a person has illicit sex with s person. It is nothing to be ashamed of. Just another problem to be sorted out.

Only those who have been enlightened will know what a joy it is to spend as much time with God as possible. Our home is where our heart is and our home is with God our Father and with our family. He is there for everyone atheists included.

Shgadwa, thanks for the tip about when the devil flashes my past memories at me. I will remember that one. God bless

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

shgadwa~ For your education…

You posted:

Flavious Josephus, was a Jew historian…

Your use of the word “Jew” in this context is disrespectful, derogatory, in addition to being ambiguous.

If you are specifying Josephus’ religion and not what type of history he wrote about, a respectful form of your statement is Flavious Josephus, was a Jewish historian. If you are specifying the history Josephus wrote about and not specifying his religion, a respectful form of your statement is Flavious Josephus, was a historian of Jewish/Judiac history. The context in which you used the word Jew usually indicates a lack of exposure to people who are Jewish and exposure to people who have either an underlying or overt disrespect for Judaism and/or people who are Jewish. I find the disrespect ironic considering the religion Jesus practiced and taught was Judaism. However, this type of disrespect is very prevalent with Christians towards others that have a different interpretation of Christ’s historical role. If you intend to be respectful, consider the above as an area for you to “change.”

For those Christians that have a focus to “help others” and are up for taking on a REAL challenge!!!~ I have an idea… In Marketing, it is known that it “costs less” to “service” previous customers than to get new customers. Also, as you can see, there are many who have had and continue to have very hurtful and negative experiences with those that you say aren’t “real” or “saved” Christians. Here’s my idea… Why not turn your energies toward those “faux” Christians and educate them and save them? Look, they are giving Christians a bad name and really turning people off to the Christian message. If those faux Christians are saved and begin to live a “proper” Christian life, people will begin to flock to Christianity. In addition, with those faux Christians, you won’t have to “prove” Christ is the son of God!

If you really want to be educated about the world around you and really appreciate your religion and others, study different religions from the folks that practice the religion… actually learn from many since, as with Christianity, there are as many interpretations as there are people. I have found that when someone is educated about a religion by someone who doesn’t practice that particular religion there are many myths and misinterpretations that occur. Learn and be open from a place of respect and compassion and be aware if you are seeking from an agenda of proving your way is the “right” way.

People here (and at other non-Christian focused places) who are not Christians will ask if they see something they want and you won’t be offending those that are not asking… Sounds to me like a win-win-win situation.

To be inspired about unity and coming from a place of compassion and appreciation to make a difference in the world rather than “tolerance” or defensiveness, listen/watch Karen Armstrong’s Ted Award talk on that very “out-of-box” approach. You can even download her video/audio so you can view/listen to it offline and share it with others.

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Shgadwa said: I have to admit paxton, I am often very busy and have not had time to read ALL of someone’s post, before replying…

Hmmm . . this does not speak very well of you, shgadwa.

TO THOSE DISPLEASED WITH THIS TYPE OF THREAD: If you want this thread and the others like it to die down, or at least show up less frequently, the best response would be no response at all. When you respond negatively, you simply “feed” the thread and poster. If you agree, please respond to my post by NOT posting.

Bluedolfin,

I had NO IDEA that me mentioning somebodies religion….would be offensive. I am sorry if I did offend you….

He was a Jew, and his books are good reading…because someone mentioned the bible not being the only good book.

I guess if it means that much, I will not mention he was a Jew, in the future.

Does anyone else agree with what bluedolfin said?? I want to know.

I was not intending to be disrespectful….I just thought that if I was to talk about say Gandhi I should mention that he claimed to have a respect for all religions, him being Hindu (I think).

Thank you for your time in bringing this up.

Alix1962, you nailed the obnoxiousness of all this bible thumping right on the head. It is AGGRESSIVE, and just feels like religious SPAM. shgadwa, sorry, but you have no right to tell Alix or anyone else not to read these posts. This is a public forum, and generally a place people come to for support and comfort. And it is not religion that people are necessarily rejecting, but the tone of this thread. Instead of actually engaging and having a true dialogue, you are doing what most fundamentalists do, hiding behind scripture, twisting it and hitting everyone over the head with it. It is disrespectful and disruptive. I have to say that I humbly disagree with Kandace regarding the acceptance of the pro atheist and pro religious posts. Although I am a firm believer in the first amendment (I know, I know, this isn’t journalism, but…), I feel these topics often devolve into arguments that go nowhere, and hardly become healthy debates. I hope in the future that Kandace and Ray will possibly consider more intensive monitoring of this type of content as I feel it truly takes from the original intent of goneraw.

OK…..I read the whole thing.

I want to know, how am I arguing with anyone??

If you agree that this is a public forum….then keep it that way. You are MORE than welcome, here.

If you find the fact that Jesus Christ freed me and gave me victory over the things I struggled with…hard to live with, then call me a liar and get on with life. Please. However, you should consider the truth regardless.

I am sorry….but with all due respect, I find your post, Mon46, hypocritical. When I posted on your thread, everyone was saying it was too bad it got hijacked. Looking back, I am sorry it went that way…. my fault.

I mean no harm.

Peace.

shgadwa~ Either you misread my post or I was unclear. In no way am I suggesting one can’t mention a person’s religion. What I am pointing out is using the respectful term for the context. Using the word “Jew” as an adjective is offensive. The word “Jewish” is the respectful word that is an adjective. The word “Jew” is an informal and slang word. To use the word “Jew” as a noun is respectful.

Maybe this is clearer. From Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1):

noun

1. one of a scattered group of people that traces its descent from the Biblical Hebrews or from postexilic adherents of Judaism; Israelite.

2. a person whose religion is Judaism.

3. a subject of the ancient kingdom of Judah.

adjective

4. Offensive. of Jews; Jewish.

verb (used with object)

5. (lowercase) Offensive. to bargain sharply with; beat down in price (often fol. by down).

Is this clearer?

Whoever taught you to use the word “Jew” as an adjective is either uneducated in the correct/respectful use of the word or is teaching you disrespect. You are welcome to use the words “Jew”, “Jewish”, “Judaic”, etc., just use them in a respectful manner that is based on context.

OK…..I see.

Thank you bluedolfin.

I never really thought about it, at all…but you might be right. I will try to say Jewish, next time.

shgadwa~ One day you will begin to realize how much you haven’t thought about and incorporated as unquestioned “truth.” The moment you realize this, then learning really begins. I assert much of what you have espoused on these threads are things people have told you and you haven’t given much thought or research to.

I have revised my last post a few times and am not sure you read the complete reply before you responded. If you can find a credible source that negates what I posted, bring it. The definition I cited in my post is from a pretty creditable source that is based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary.

• You’re not reading, shgadwa. I never posted on the other forum. And I’m certainly done contributing fuel to this fire.

Alix1962, you nailed the obnoxiousness of all this bible thumping right on the head. It is AGGRESSIVE, and just feels like religious SPAM. shgadwa, sorry, but you have no right to tell Alix or anyone else not to read these posts. This is a public forum, and generally a place people come to for support and comfort. And it is not religion that people are necessarily rejecting, but the tone of this thread. Instead of actually engaging and having a true dialogue, you are doing what most fundamentalists do, hiding behind scripture, twisting it and hitting everyone over the head with it. It is disrespectful and disruptive. I have to say that I humbly disagree with Kandace regarding the acceptance of the pro atheist and pro religious posts. Although I am a firm believer in the first amendment (I know, I know, this isn’t journalism, but…), I feel these topics often devolve into arguments that go nowhere, and hardly become healthy debates. I hope in the future that Kandace and Ray will possibly consider more intensive monitoring of this type of content as I feel it truly takes from the original intent of goneraw.

That was what you posted on this thread….... mon46.

And that was what I responded to and I read the WHOLE THING.

Thank you bluedolfin…. I appreciate this. Very helpful.

Actually… I have studied things things a lot on my own.

• clr-1976clr-1976 Raw Newbie

Ok, I dont know what I’d be ‘defined’ as. I was Christened a Danish Lutherin so I guess that makes me a christian. I believe Christ existed and I believe he was a healer.

Shgadwa, you say ‘If anyone here notices my problem(s), I want to know more about it because I WANT TO CHANGE.’ I noticed this, ie problems, in the other post but didnt want to offend by saying so, since you asked..

The things you mention, alot of them are NORMAL, not always good, agreed, but NORMAL!! There are positive and negative forces all around us and in all of us, its our actions that count. I debated the existence of God for 2 years in ‘philosophy of religion’ and one of the most interesting (in my opinion, although they all were) is the argument of free will.

Here’s a rundown

http://www.abarnett.demon.co.uk/atheism/freewil…

It might help you understand an atheist/objective/undecided viewpoint.

I would love to think there’s someone looking down on all of us, but tell me, how is there then so much evil in the world? Why are so many people killed because of religion. Was London bombed on 7/7 because Islamist Fundamentalists (who really believe theyre right – something I still cant grasp) were right and they were wrong?

There is no rhyme or reason in this life. You choose your path and you take the consequences and whatever helps you through, well, great. But dont live in fear of retribution or punishment, live right because you feel you should. Forgive and accept yourself, that’s whats important, you’re the one who lives with you. The only people who seem truely evil are those that seem unhinged, watch a documentary on the logic of seriously disturbed criminals and you’ll see that. Seemingly there has been research to suggest some literally are ‘missing’ a conscience. That part of their brain was unresponsive in tests. Weird but true.

I did a project on how much peoples beliefs were effected depending on their age, perhaps not surprisingly the % was higher as people got elderly. People need something I understand that.

Believe in yourself, have faith in yourself, if he’s there, he’ll still love you for it.

I hope some of this makes sense. Shgadwa, you’ve had a very particular upbringing and it will mold the person that you are but I think to punish yourself for things that are a normal part of growing up is unecessary pain and anguish. You know what’s right and wrong where it matters, thats morality and ethics not religion.

I am a Reiki practitoner, have you thought of finding out how to protect yourself from negative energy or to have some healing, proper, unbiased – doesnt care what religion you are, healing, for the human in you, it could be good to help you let go of some of some things

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

Here is What a Christian would say. ” Believe in God. Have faith in God. As He is real, Your Father will love you for it.” For the Word says, Faith pleases God.”

This may well have moved on in the time I’ve typing this, so my first paragraph is in response to Beany

If we are all part of God & He part of us (which I understand is kind of the underlying point if you’re a christian) then believing in & loving yourself is pretty much the same thing but I dont have to feel like I have to put the word ‘God’ in there as he’ll get that anyway. To be God he has to be pretty switched on I imagine. Are we talking about the same thing here coz now I’m confused?

I really dont think if Jesus were the son of God and looking down right now he’d be overly happy that people were ripping each other to shreds over who’s right and who’s wrong on a raw food forum.

Surely there’s a bigger message than this, humans have clashed for the history of the world over this topic, because of a ‘label’

‘God’ ‘Allah’ ‘Krishna’ ‘Budda’ ‘Mother Earth’ ‘Nature’ – Arent we all talking about the same thing here? A higher force that you can believe in if you wish, but wont judge you if you dont

clr-1976~ You wrote:

Why are so many people killed because of religion. Was London bombed on 7/7 because Islamist Fundamentalists (who really believe theyre right – something I still cant grasp) were right and they were wrong?

It comes from the same place as the “rightness thinking” that fueled/s the KKK, the annihilation of the Native American population, Spanish Inquisition, Nazis, McFay et.al, bombing the Federal Building, and all other atrocities. It is not religion specific because it can occur with any fanatical way of thinking regardless of the shroud that is worn. It is hard to grasp any inhumane actions that are perpetrated.

I agree with you, by whatever concept or name one calls it, we are talking about the same thing.

I used to train Aviation Security & have been lucky enough to have done courses in stuff I cant talk about, that sounds very self important, I promise you its not supposed to. But its very scary, especially the specifics, its all out there on the old ‘world wide web’ so I dont feel like I’m giving anything away. Our Threat Level here in the UK is ‘Severe” which means ‘An attack is highly likely’ highly likely, that scares me. This is sort of info is avail on MI5’s website etc. We have real problems here with some fundamentalists.

I’m trying to understand, I know what you mean about the kind of ‘brainwashing’ that occured with the holocaust etc but how is Jihad not religious? I realise its not all religion specific but that certainly seems to be. It makes me sad.

And thanks for the “I agree with you, by whatever concept or name one calls it, we are talking about the same thing.”

If only we all did eh?

OK clr-1976…

I clicked on the link there and read it…. It is seriously flawed.

It starts out as this

“Experiment Try it for yourself. Right now, this minute, exert your free will.

Do something, anything at all, that you don’t think God could have possibly known you were going to do.

Can you do it? Can you surprise God?

If you can, then God is not omniscient – he is not all-knowing. And if he is not omniscient, then how can he be omnipotent – unlimited in his ability?”

The thing is, if God is omniscient, then I CANNOT do anything that he did not know I could do. So, I cannot surprise him. Especially when he made me, to begin with.

See, God gives us free will…. but he knows what we are going to do. Its like this, if my brother was going to drive three miles east or three miles west…. he is unsure of which way to go. But, I know that he will go west. He is going to go west. Now, I do not know that much. I am NOT Omniscient.

Maybe that is also a bad example.

Anyhow, this guy has another, maybe a better, example here:

“Another example: Does God know what I am going to eat for breakfast tomorrow? I’ll make it easy for Him : it could be either toast, cereal, porridge or nothing. Four options. Is it possible that God, who is infinitely powerful, in all places at once, having knowledge of all things, who created the space/time universe, who is utterly un-restrained by any physical laws and exists outside the space/time universe, does not know what I’m going to eat for breakfast in the morning? How ridiculous is that? This omnipotent mega-being cannot accurately look 24 hours into my future? Think about it.”

My answer, it is not possible that God would not know what this guy was going to have for breakfast. Even if he wanted toast but burnt it and then had porridge , or something like that, God still knew. It is not possible for God to not know, if he know everything.

Just because God knew that you were going to hit your thumb, that does not mean you do not have free will…you were the one that chose to build the shelf and God knew what you were going to do.

This article is SERIOUSLY flawed and it is straw man arguments. The guy assume things about God that is not true, about God.

My bible tells about these things you are talking about…

God is allowing all these bad things going on in the world because they have rebelled against him… He will not allow it very long.

Jesus is coming back. Soon.

That wasnt to make you change your view, it was to give you a different one. You asked for different views and that was only 1 link. I’m not trying to change your mind here, chill out!

Seriously, work on some anger issues. I think you know they’re there.

That’s great if its all going to be sorted, someone needs to do it. Do you think the people that do ‘bad’ things in the name of God think they’re going to be punished? They think they’re martyrs!

I can only imagine the type of training you have experienced regarding security. It is scary. My point that was unclear is that the threat is not specific to one specific (religious) group. There are those that would want us to think so to separate us and for those that make money off these situations. There have been atrocities done in the name of “God” in every religion, done by a few in those groups. Since you are in the UK, I would presume that your training included (or maybe not) identifying potential Irish-conflict related threats. Harder to identify “those” threats since they look “just like us.” However, those threats have been more numerous than the threats attributed to Islamics. There are fundamental causes (economics, something to live for, etc.) to the threats that are not being addressed that are NOT religion based. I am trying to keep this brief… My main point is there is a lot of finger-pointing that goes on that fuels the conflicts without many looking at their own part in the problem or seeing it is not specific to one ideology. I am so saddened by the untruths that have been spread about Muslims and that they have had to endure such unfounded backlash. We are all capable of the same atrocities of the “few” given the “right” conditions. History is filled with examples. Let’s appreciate our differences, unite to deal with those underlying causes, and stop the finger-pointing and hate/fear mongering.

I see clr-1976.

Thank you for giving me the link, it was good…. I thought you were like, I dunno…that you believed in it….Thank you for your time.

Honestly, the internet is TERRIBLE when it comes to finding people’s motives… I am not angry at anyone. At all.

The bible also talks about this…. “they will kill you thinking they do God service.”

Bluedolphin you’re making a good point.

The Irish are relitively quiet now and there’s a bigger threat from another group. that’s not to say I dont know or have Muslim friends and am in no way trying to finger point, I’m not making this stuff up. Its a fact.

There was a group here called ‘Fathers for Justice’ who were protesting against lack of fathers rights. They did quite funny things like break into Buckingham Palace and climb on the roof in a Batman costume (for real). They did crazy things for a while and made people laugh, then one of them wanted to bring in extremist measures (like explosives) and thankfully they disbanded.

Its the extremists, that are the concern, in any sense or any group.

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

OK, friends, I’m giving this topic a well-deserved end. This has simply gone too far! Gone Raw is not a place to debate theology and, unfortunately lately, our desire for an open communication space is being vastly taken advantage of and is now usurping our raw, vegan focus in the forums and on the home page. We have one forum area supporting Christians here on Gone Raw and one forum area supporting athiests and agnostics. Please use these in the way they were meant to be (to support other raw, vegans with similar spiritual views).