Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

witch nuts are not?

i have been raw for 2 months now and i herd just recently that alot of nuts arent even raw. could some one please help me out with a list of all the un raw nuts. thankyou so much

Comments

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I wrote this post earlier today, I just copied and pasted it here, hope it helps ;)

“Try our Dead Food List We have got most of the suspect items on there. The thing with nuts is that Brazils, Pecans, Macadamias, all are definately boiled or steamed when they are shelled. So they are not raw if bought shelled. Almonds: if they are from USA are definately pasteurised and not raw, unless you bought them illegally from a farmer, or maybe it is still legal to do that, I’m not sure.

The rest of them: the pine nuts, walnuta and hazelnuts although they are not usually boiled or steamed during shelling, they are dehydrated/dried and for all we know this could be at a high temperature. So if you are going to eat nuts, then those ones are the most likely to be raw.

If you want to be full on with your rawness, or if you have been 100% for a while with ‘the most likely to be raw’ nuts and feel like something isn’t right then just leave the nuts out and like me, you may feel amazingly better. I now only use sprouted sunflower seeds, and coconut butter/oil I know they are both raw. But I have been all raw for 3 1/2 years, it is only recently that I felt the urge to quit nuts.”

So it could be a good idea to veer towards the coconut butter, raw oil, avocado, bananas to use to make things creamy and heavy. These alternatives which don’t mean you have to compromise on taste and decadence levels. :)

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

Just something to add on the nuts: a lot of processors for pecans are using bleach water on the shells instead of hot steams. So these pecans are actually raw.

What I do is I buy direct from a grower who does their own processing, and I get in contact with them and ask specifically how they clean their unshelled nuts. Don’t rely on any store owner to be honest with you. Do this with other types of nuts, too, like walnuts.

Buying raw almonds from a grower/farmer is not illegal. They are allowed to sell their own raw almonds directly from their farms under certain conditions, so again, contact and ask.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Zoe said: "Brazils, Pecans, Macadamias, all are definately boiled or steamed when they are shelled."

TomsMom said: "I get in contact with them and ask specifically how they clean their unshelled nuts."

I have a question about this-- "unshelled" -meaning the shell has yet to be removed. Or did you mean to say shelled nuts (ones that do have the shell removed)? This has all got me wondering- does the boiling or steaming happen only upon shelling, so that nuts with the shell still on, are truly raw? or are some folks "cleaning" nuts with a heat source, even with the shell on?

• J AJ A

How about raw food sites selling raw-labelled nuts (pecans, cashews, brazils, you name it)? You know it is perfectly possible to shell nuts without steam so if there is a raw brand which makes sure the nuts aren't heated above 110 F then those should be OK, no? For instance, David Wolfes Sunfood specifically states they have developed a technique to get rid of the toxic cashew shells without heat.

• No cacao, no nuts, what's left ? )-: