Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Yellow Watermelons!

Got 2 at the farmers market today. I love them. Had a whole one today for breakfast/lunch.

Just had to share that! :0)

anyone else had one of these yet?

Comments

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

My brother-in-law’s family has been growing them for 30+ years.
    They have their own name for them – they call them ‘yellow babies’.

• 30 years?! im mad ive never come across these yellow babies before!

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

I always thought they must be modified in some way. Sounds like that isn’t the case! Do they taste just like traditional watermelons?

• shgadwashgadwa Raw Newbie

They are supposed to taste better!

I never had them though…what do you think rawcourt?

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

I wonder if they are nutritionally equivalent to the red flesh watermelons. When I try one, I know my brain is gonna have a bit of an electrical storm and say something like… What’s wrong with this picture? lol

This week I had an awesome, juicy, sweet, cold, red flesh watermelon… ate 1/4 per day… a couple of times with lemon juice on it… Paradise!!! Today I savored an amazing 1/2 of a honeydew with lemon juice. Oh my!!! Thank you Trader Joes! :)

Iced cold fruit on a hot day… does it get any better?

• The yellow ones have more of a sweet honey taste… I definitely like them better than the typical red watermelon

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

I miss the water melon with the large black seeds. When we got one home we would first get it cold. Then put it on the cutting board. Now this was my favorite part. You would get the biggest knife you had, take a wack and there would be a crack sound. Up would come the most welcome wonderful aroma. Watermelon! Today the smell and seeds, and the crack are gone. I truly wounder, what is it we are eating. This thing we call watermelon.

• blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

I bought a small one from the farmers market yesterday, I splurged and spent the $6 because it’s one of only local or normal ones I’ve seen lately(stores all have seedless variety lately). It will be my breakfast tomorrow :)

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

they’re AWESOME! yellow is yummy.

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

I was told that they were a hybrid of watermelon plants, but not frankenfood— They are not genetically modified with any foreign DNA. They were hybridized to be a bit sweeter and there are seedless varieties.
    Obviously I can’t speak for the yellow watermelons that are mass-produced coast to coast for the big chain supermarkets, but I know that my (former) brother-in-law’s family are local farmers with their own farm-stand. They grow most of their own fruits & vegetables.
    To be on the safe side – anyone who wants to try the yellow watermelons might want to ask at their local farm stand if their yellow watermelons are genetically modified in any way.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

they are not modified at all. there are so many varieties of herloom fruits and veggies that we have probably never seen due to the monocropping that is practiced these days. the yellow does seem to be more popular, although I remember it from 10 years ago at the farmer’s market.

• Check out some of the amazing heirloom melons that this seed company carries: http://rareseeds.com/seeds/

This year, I’m growing tigger melon (I grow this one every year… super flavour and fragrance!), ananas (white flesh, from the 1800s), banana melon (SUPER sweet), and my five year old is growing his own French charantais melons for the second year in a row. Amazing, orange, custardy, melt-in-your-mouth melon! All of these are non-hybrids. I save the seeds every year, and am always happy to share if anyone wants to try growing their own.