Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

anti aging effects of going raw

I read an article with this info in it and thought it was intresting. Also selenium is destroyed when cooking food so it is best eaten raw. Mushrooms, brazil nuts and sunflower seeds have it.

Major Benefits of Selenium

Selenium has been receiving huge attention in recent times due to its role in combating cancer. A five year study has been carried out and it has shown that people taking 200mcg a day there were 63% less prostate tumours, 58% less colorectal cancers, 46% less lung malignancies and a 39% overall decrease in cancer deaths. This study was carried out at Cornell University and the University of Arizona.

In other studies selenium has also shown promise in helping to prevent other cancers such as cancer of the cervix, rectum, ovaries, bladder, oesophagus, pancreas and liver. It is also being tested against leukaemia with the hope of promising results.

With this in mind scientists are on a daily basis continuing to research into the benefits of selenium and how it may indeed be among the answers for curing cancer.

Additionally, selenium can protect the heart, primarily by reducing the “stickiness” of the blood and decreasing the risk of clotting, in turn, lowering the risk of heart attack, and stroke. Moreover, selenium increases the ratio of HDL (“good”) cholesterol to LDL (“bad”) cholesterol, which is critical for a healthy heart. Smokers or those who’ve already had a heart attack or stroke may gain the greatest cardiovascular benefits from selenium supplements, though everyone can profit from taking selenium in a daily vitamin and mineral supplement.

Remain In Good Health with the Benefits Of Selenium

Selenium may be useful in preventing cataracts and macular degeneration, the leading causes of impaired vision or blindness in older Americans. It is also vital for converting thyroid hormone, which is needed for the proper functioning of every cell in the body, from a less active form (called T4) to its active form (known as T3). In addition, selenium is essential for a healthy immune system, assisting the body in defending itself against harmful bacteria and viruses, as well as cancer cells. Its immune-boosting effects may play a role in fighting the herpes virus that is responsible for cold sores and shingles, and it is also being studied for possible effectiveness against HIV, the virus that causes AIDS.

When combined with vitamin E, selenium appears to have some anti-inflammatory benefits as well. These two nutrients may improve chronic conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis, lupus, and eczema.

Latest Findings

Recent studies show that in the test tube selenium works relatively quickly, helping cells grow and die at normal rates and protecting them from becoming cancerous. Experts suspect that selenium’s cancer-fighting benefits may be fairly fast-acting in the body as well.

According to the journal Agriculture Research, studies in mice show that a deficiency in either selenium or vitamin E both antioxidants – can convert a latent, inactive virus into its active, disease-causing form. This may help explain why selenium is effective against cold sores and shingles.

Comments

• This reminds me of a book I read by Tim Robbins. Its called Jitterbug Perfume. ALthough it is a work of fiction its a book on eternal life/anti-aging.

In one of the steps the character was listing, is eating more uncooked food, especially beets and those high in vitamins. I looked this up online and found a theory on wiki, basically stating that the more raw food you eat that has the highest vitamin count, basically overloading your body with vitamins with as little food as possible. ( The theories name is on the top of my tongue, I just cant remember it, Ill find out when I get home tonight)

Scientists has done tests on monkeys to rats and have shown this eating lifestyle has almsot completely stopped aging, and/or dramatically reduced it.

• That’s cool. I have just been wondering if it could possibly be true. I have seen some people in pictures claiming it but they were usually promoting a product or something. I was wondering if anyone else had experienced something like that or had their Dr. say that they had changed significantly and had some kind of tests that showed results in this direction. Also there are so many choices when it comes to choosing foods to eat. Which ones are the best? I am eating tumeric, pineapple, and yucca root to help with joint pain. I have also added flax meal and brazil nuts to my almost every day diet. Today I didn’t take any advil. I am feeling subtle changes. I hope they get more dramatic.

• jenergyjenergy Raw Newbie

I love Tim Robbins! He’s such an unabashed weirdo, hehe. Skinny Legs And All is one of my alltime favorite books. :o)

• Although since being raw most of my allergies have disappeared, I still find myself allergic to dogs (sometimes) and the occasional fit with spring time allergies, I usually take raw apple cider vinegar and it clears it up. APC has many benefits that help clear your system and can actually stop pains and headaches. Do a search on it at google.

I havent read any other books by Tim Robbins. I heard if you read Jitterbug Perfume first (like I did), the rest of the books get ruined. I dont know this is true or not. So you recommend Skinny Legs and All?

• I think Tim Robbins is the actor who lives with Susan Sarandon. ;) Tom Robbins is the writer. (Sorry, I’m a writer geek and I love him too!) Jitterbug Perfume is one of my favorite books. Try “Another Roadside Attraction—” it’s fantastic.

Writeeternity, I totally believe in the anti-aging effects of raw. During my first 30-day 100% raw challenge, the silver hairs on top of my head actually started going back to brown—no lie!!! The roots grew in brown. I’ve read many times too that black sesame seeds are good for turning grey back. Anne Wigamore’s hair turned back to her original color. :)

• :-) I always get him and the actors name confused!

• jenny2052jenny2052 Raw Newbie

Hi writeeternity – just FYI – like cashews, most brazil nuts you find in stores aren’t actually raw. :(

I think if you can find them in their shells you have a better chance of them being raw, but the shelled ones are almost always heated during processing. Not everyone’s worried about this, of course, but it’s definitely something to be aware of if you’re someone who’s aiming to be totally raw. :)

• Natural Zing has truly raw cashews, and the price is really reasonable! I think they have truly raw Brazils, too. :)

• jenny2052jenny2052 Raw Newbie

Ooh, that’s good to know, RawVee. I miss brazil nuts a lot!

• jkd_soccer801, I believe what you are describing is Calorie Restriction with Optimum Nutrition (CRON): http://www.calorierestriction.org, although I would not use the term “overloading” as that has negative connotations.

• Hi

It’s a good idea to buy all nuts in the shell if possible and from the source. You also don’t need to focus on brazil nuts as the only source of selenium. Another source is barley. I was researching it and here is what I found. I have added soaked grains to some crackers and they turned out great.

Barley, a type of whole grain, originated in Ethiopia and Southeast Asia, where it has been cultivated for more than 10,000 years. Barley was used by ancient civilizations as a food for humans and animals, as well as to make alcoholic beverages. In addition, barley water has been used for various medicinal purposes since ancient times.

Barley contains high levels of dietary fiber and selenium (a type of antioxidants). Recent studies showed that a diet high in beta-glucan from barley helps lower blood LDL cholesterol (the bad cholesterol). Barley may also help stabilize blood glucose levels, which may benefit people with diabetes. A study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition in 2004 reported a 6 percent and 8 percent reduction in LDL cholesterol following consumption of diets containing barley with 3 grams and 6 grams of beta-glucan soluble fiber, respectively.

FDA approved Barley Health Claim In 1997, the FDA authorized coronary heart disease risk reduction health claim for beta-glucan soluble fiber from oat products. In December 2005, the FDA extended its approval to barley as well. To qualify for this health claim, a food product must contain at least 0.75 grams of barley beta-glucan soluble fiber per serving.