Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Extremely Empty!!!

I came back from a two month summer vacation from the land of SAD and my body screamed for raw. I have been 95% raw for almost 3 weeks. I also joined the Raw-fu 100 day raw challenge. Although the trip was exhausting, it was also life changing and I knew that the consequences for eating in certain ways were outweighing any “pleasure” derived from the food. I feel so emptied out and exhausted. I have been here before, long jaunts of raw only to go back to cooked food which sets up more cravings for cooked food. I really need some advice on how to fill up (not with nuts/nutbutters or oils….way too addictive!) and be able to function.

Comments

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

I’m struggling with the same. I just got back from vacation back home and indulged in a lot of the things I used to eat. Getting back on track is hard. I’ve been eating about 1/2 cup of chia seeds, 1/2 cup blue algae, carrot/celery juice in the morning (to make 1 quart). This has helped to keep me full and get back on track. Yesterday was the first day since being back that I made a green juice and smoothie, which has really helped too.

I’m there with you! We’ll get through this together ;-)

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Flush your system while giving it replenishing nutrition. Drink lots of water (at least 64 oz per day, more is better). Add lemon for more cleansing. Cucumbers are also cleansing. Lots of fiber. ... and remember patience and being kind to yourself!

• jellibijellibi Raw Newbie

Are you craving something besides food maybe? Sometimes when I feel extremely empty, and no amount of food can feel my up, I realize that it is something else I am after that I am trying to compensate with food… Often it’s fear and I am in need of security. Sometimes it’s loneliness. A good exercise to try is to take a piece of paper and write: ””What I need to fill me up” at the top and then just write whatever comes to mind underneath it. You might list activities or things or people, etc. but you might also list types of food too. Just let it flow for a good 10 minutes or so. Whatever answer you write that makes you come to tears—or at least that you feel a powerful emotion for- is your answer. Hope this helps! I know how you feel, I’ve been there so, so many times :) Maybe you’ll find that you need some time to be by yourself or maybe you’ll find that all you need is a banana hemp smoothie. Either way, your body knows what it’s after…Take care!

• try eating fruit…fill up on your favourite stuff….and then do it again few hours later…and then again

simple :o)

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

juices and green smoothies. exercise.

• Joy:) I feel community.

Emotionally full – check! Green smoothies – check! Exercise – check! Water – check!

I could stand to add more fruit and fruit smoothies. Just trying to watch calories too!

Thanks…keep the ideas coming.

• well , there’s your ‘eureka ’ moment right there….not eating enough calories will set you up for cravings, whether raw or cooked…you are playing a dangerous game

again, i’m still amazed that saying this is going out on such a ‘limb’, but our natural food is being taken from us, fuelled by phobia and bad science….

E A T F R U I T :o)

• Honestly, I wouldn’t worry about fat intake if you’re in that place. I’m there, too, and not sure how low (er) fat I can go without having issues…I exercise a lot as well. So don’t be scared to dress up your salads with healthy oils and eat lots of kale and other greens, seaweeds, for the important minerals. Do you eat a Brazil nut a day? HOw about sprouts?

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

You have to be patient with yourself. It’s a process and you won’t get there overnight. I lost 20 pounds (and still losing) not counting calories. Others have done it too. It is very difficult to go from a SAD to a low fat raw food diet. You have to just eat raw, whatever you want as long as it’s raw, and trust your body will slowly move away from high fat. You have to work your stomach up to being able to hold massive amounts of fruits and veggies because they are used to dense cooked foods. That is why nuts and avocados are so popular with raw foodies. They are raw, filling, but do not give us the same addictions that cooked food does. The main reasons I see people leave the raw diet is simply because they are not eating enough. Trust that you will eat less over time, but at first, eat up! your body is starved for nutrition!

• I added some steamed edamame to a salad last night and I felt satisfied. Maybe some tofu, edamame and miso here and there will help at first. I’m wanting to do this for the long haul.

El-bo, Superfood, bitt…thanks for reminding me of patience (humming G-n-R’s patience in my head right now:)