B12 in Spirulina

LauroliLauroli Raw Newbie

Hi everyone. I have heard that Spirulina is a great source of B12 and I have also heard that it is not bioavailable for human beings. Does anyone know the truth about this? Thanks!

Comments

• as afar as i know, both statements are true

spirulina is a great source of b12

and

b12 analogues in spirulina have been shown to inhibit b12 absorbtion

• LauroliLauroli Raw Newbie

Thanks for your response. Judging by this, perhaps bee pollen or something else would be a better source of B12?

• have you been tested as having a deficiency ???

No, but I haven’t had a blood test in over a year and I have been more strictly vegan (excluding bee product) than ever for a while now. I will be going in soon for another blood test. I would just like to make sure I get enough as a safeguard to prevent a deficiency from occuring. What are your thoughts on B12 requirement?

• my thoughts on b12 are probably not the same as most…..

i understand the urge to be preventative but b12 deficiencies apparently give rise to many symptoms during the time it takes to become deficient….if you are symptomless, then maybe you don’t need worry

consider that b12 testing exists in spite of the relatively few vegana and (even less) raw vegans in the world….this might suggest that the majority of testing and, therefore, deficiencies are in the meat eating world

bearing this in mind, the theory that b12 is more about effective absorbtion starts to look more sensible

when eating a diet that ensures proper elimination and health of the intestine those things that are present in the bodies may be better absorbed…..

even if you chose to supplement, you probably don’t need to do it every day…or even regularly…if you are eating in rhythm with you body a small amount will go a long way

http://www.rawfoodexplained.com/why-we-should-n…

Thanks for the information, el-bo! This does make a lot of sense to me.

• i’m no doctor, and i’m not telling you NOT to supplement, but just to think outside of the current raw ‘box’

i’d definately wait till you’ve had your blood test…you may find everything is tickety-boo :o)