Are unshelled nuts raw?

It makes sense to me that unshelled nuts would inherently be raw, but I really have no idea, I’m just making wild assumptions here. Anyone know for sure? I googled the subject but didn’t get a definitive answer (you failed me, google!).

Comments

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

It depends. It used to be that you could count on unshelled as being both raw and unpasteurized, but I’m seeing unshelled walnuts(for example) and other types of unshelled nuts on my store shelves that have clearly been cleaned. Since I can’t always find out how they have been cleaned, I don’t buy them.

The best way to get them is to find a grower, and directly ask them if their unshelled nuts have been cleaned or pasteurized in any way and buy them from them in bulk. Some types of cleaning still produce raw nuts. For example, “cold water method”(bleach water) will leave the inside nut raw. Steam washing will heat up the nut. Don’t always count on organic nuts being raw, always ask a grower or processor. Not a store.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Hi check out our Dead Food List For what is commonly thought to be raw but isn’t. And here is a post I made earlier about nuts which I think should answer your question:

The thing with nuts is that Brazils, Pecans, Macadamias, all are definately boiled or steamed when they are shelled. So they are not raw if bought shelled. Almonds: if they are from USA are definately pasteurised and not raw, unless you bought them illegally from a farmer, or maybe it is still legal to do that, I’m not sure. The rest of them: the pine nuts, walnuta and hazelnuts although they are not usually boiled or steamed during shelling, they are dehydrated/dried and for all we know this could be at a high temperature. So if you are going to eat nuts, then those ones are the most likely to be raw.

Substitutes for nuts in sauces are: bananas – tastes amazing and not like banana at all if you use salt with it, avocado, coconut oil, hemp oil, sprouted sunflower seeds.

Substitutes for nuts in cheese: sprouted sunflower seeds, hemp seeds, sesame seeds and hemp oil, raw olive oil.

Substotites for nuts in cakes and pies: Sprouted sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, coconut oil – which makes cakes solid if you put them in the fridge, avocado.