Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Buckwheaties?

I haven’t made buckwheaties before because I do not have a dehydrator. This week is finally really warm out and I thought I’d try and lay them outside on a baking sheet to dry and see if that works well enough.
What I need help on is how long to soak? I have found contrasting advice on different websites and don’t know which to do!

I understand that for soaking AND sprouting you only want to soak for a short 30 min, to an hour. But for soaking and then drying I have found some say just to soak 30 min’s and others say 6-8 hours. So how long should I soak the buckwheat groats for dehydrating and making buckwheaties?
Thanks!!!

Comments

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

I soak them overnight. I also rinse them a few times. I think it probably makes them crisper because it bloats them up. Once they are dried they are more like rice crispies.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Just to confuse you I only soak them for about 2-4 hours, I don’t think it really matters, I have done them for an hour and also overnight and everything in between, and I can’t see it ever making any difference. But only let them sprout for 24 hours, any longer than that and it can get nasty!

The buckwheaties are amazing with a little oil, salt and maybe one herb or spice. Can’t get enough of them at the moment.

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

I’ve been soaking for an hour and then sprouting for 24 hrs with lots of rinses in a colander or a sprouting bag and it works great. Gabriel Cousens mentioned that they can ferment quickly if you let them soak too long.

• My family LIVES on Buckwheaties. We soak the hulled groats for 20 minutes, and then sprout in a colander for 24 hours with 2-3 rinses. Then you rinse them like there is no tomorrow!!! I mean REALLY, REALLY rinse them.

We use a dehydrator. Sorry I can’t tell you whether or not sun drying will work.

We eat them as cereal w/ coconut milk, shredded coconut, soaked and dried almonds and walnuts, cinnamon and dried fruit. Oh, and sometimes Mesquite Meal. They are beyond wonderful!

Good luck!

• Thanks for the tips everyone! It seems that a few hours of soaking or overnight doesn’t really matter.
    Do I want to sprout them before I dehydrate them? I orignally got the idea from Ani Phyo’s cookbook. She soaks them overnight, rinses, and then just dries them without sprouting. Do they taste different when sprouted?

• I use them often after just an overnight soak. Like said above, rinse the heck out of them, they get slimey. I will also start drying them in the sun once the weather gets a little warmer… from what I remember from doing it last summer, you might want to put them on a screen or something instead of a baking sheet, otherwise they take forever just to dry.

• What are buchwheaties?

• I don’t know about taste, but sprouting gets you more nutritional value for the money!!!

• bluebells – buckwheaties are sprouted (or at least soaked) dehydrated buckwheat groats.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

yes sprout them for 24 hours, until you see a tiny tail. Like jenoz says They have more nutrients like that, they taste the same, absolutely gorgeous!

• Where do you get hulled groats? I ordered buckwheat and got it with the hulls. It was not fun to try to eat, but I did not know that they were supposed to be hulled first. Maybe I am supposed to be hulling them? But how?

• evergreenevergreen Raw Master

hi pulse..i did the same thing the first time i bought buckwheat !!! they were labeled “for sprouting” so i thought those were what i needed to sprout..hehe..i guess we both just got a little more fiber.i now buy hulled buckwheat groats by bulk in the health food/co-op store.i like www.sproutpeople.com for info ,and they sell seeds ,too.here are the buckwheat groats

• I think mine may have come from the sprout people. Thanks. I will try this again!

• I soak for six hours and then sprout for about 36. (I’ll try just soaking for an hour today and see what the differences are.) They are so slimy until later in the sprouting process, which is fine if you rinse them like crazy, but if you let them sprout longer, the slime goes away and, as others have stated, nutritional value goes up. I mix them with half a coconut, coconut water, whatever fruit I have on hand, cinnamon, etc, and all my clients are ADDICTED! (I keep dried, sprouted buckwheat -“buckwheaties” – on hand for whenever I don’t have enough time to sprout and serve soft.) Really, either way, the BEST way to start the day. :)

• Thanks. I have had some buchwheat grains in a jar for ages and didn’t know what to do with them. I shall start them off today.