Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Birthday Dinner in NYC

Hey everyone- my birthday is in about a month or so and I wanted to celebrate by going to dinner to a raw restaurant in NYC. I’ve looked at the thread titled “Where to and where NOT to spend your $ in NYC” to get an idea.

I’ve heard of Bonobos and Raw Soul, but I really don’t want to go to a cafe-type place or a place that generally focuses on take-out. I’m looking for a restaurant that is somewhat romantic (as I will be with my boyfriend), reasonably priced (as he will probably be paying ;-)), and offers a variety of foods…

Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Hi Kait,

I wrote the blog you were speaking of. As for romantic atmosphere- Pure Food and Wine however reasonable priced is not in the cards. If you prefer a more intimate and small setting- Quintessence you might favor. The last option would be Caravan of dreams- the rest are more of a cafe and casual setting.
  • thecavsmanthecavsman Raw Newbie

Took my girlfriend to Quintessence for her birthday. Small, quaint, fairly elegant – it has a real going out to eat feel, not a health food store feel. You wouldn’t even know it was raw. I loved it and I’m always looking for an excuse to go back. Even SAD people would like it – so good. I hope someone treats me to Quintessence one of these days.

• Thank you for your replies! I searched Google to find the Quintessence website, but the resulting link “could cause harm to my computer”. I found this site:

http://www.menupages.com/restaurantdetails.asp?...

It has a menu and ratings and such, but no pictures that I could find. Any way I could find out what this place looks like? Or could anyone describe the interior for me?

Also, I didn’t inspect the menu too much, but is everything 100% raw?

www.raw-q.com

The interior actually reminds me a lot of the website. The wall is that greenish tan color. It has high ceilings and is, It’s say, only about 16×20 feet total. Their is one waiter that serves the whole place and their is a candle on every table wooded table. The decor is pretty rich and the lighting is VERY dim. My girlfriend, my mother, and I all went to eat @ Quintessence for 79.00 AFTER tax and tip. We all got drinks and a meal (no desert or appetizer – and thankfully so – it is sooo filling).

• Kait-

Here is the link you need: http://www.raw-q.com/

As for is all ingredients raw- depends whom you ask- but the short answer is no- as Quintessence like many raw restaurants incorporate one or more of the ingredients that are not lifefood including: cashews, agave, cacao, corn, wild rice, maple syrup in addition to including hybridized fruits and vegetables such as carrots, banana, beets, yam, dates, etc.

• I almost forgot- you might also try out Raw Star in Brooklyn- check out my recent posting for details.

• Fantastic! Thanks to the both of you. I read on the site of reviews that the portions are small, but thecavsman, you said “it is sooo filling” so I’ll take your word for it. :-)

• orgfoodaddict – I read your recent posting, but when I clicked on the link, the website would not load properly. Also, I plan on walking around the city before dinner so I’m thinking Brooklyn is a bit out of the way. I will definitely make sure to check it out some other time though!

I read the same thing about the portions. But it was quite the opposite. I guess its because the raw food is so much more filling – maybe the person who wrote the review wanted to feel like they walked out of TGI Fridays to go home and pass out on the couch – that’s not the full that us raw people want though, and it’s kind of contradictory in going to a raw place. My stomach was full and at least one of us didn’t finish our food. And if you aren’t full, I’m sure there are some decently priced desserts or appetizers you can buy after the meal.

• HI KAIT!!!!! I frequently go to Quintessence since I live and work so close!!!!! Its such a great place…I’ve gone on a date there, and I’ve gone just to hang out with my girlfriend for yerba matte lattes and dessert. Its sooooooo tasty and soooooo romantic. Its small, quaint, and it feels like a spa inside. You could also go to Sarma’s place….Pure Food and Wine, although its VERY expensive, but its high-end dining. Quintessence is a sweet little cozy place. Don’t go to Bonobos…its like a take out place. Have fun :)

• Sweet Pea, which nights of the week are the least crowded at Quintessence. I know that weekends are almost impossible. We live across town, and I don’t want to walk all the way over only to find there is a 45 minute wait. I know some people are mellow with that, but I’m impatient! Thanks.

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

quintessence is nice, but for a birthday…i would go for pure food and wine. the patio would be beautiful around this time of year, it’s so elegant and romantic, and the food is outstanding. quintessence is cute for a date, pure food and wine is a nice atmosphere for celebration.

• well last time I was there and I asked the wait staff when it gets busy because it was 6pm on a Sunday and we were the only ones in the restaurant!!!!! He said at 8pm it gets reaaaallllyyyyy crazy. So maybe during the week before 8pm. Interestingly enough I’ve never had to wait, somehow I’ve always walked in and taken a seat, and I go about every two weeks or so.

• I LOVE Pure Food & Wine and would do that for a birthday.

Rawstar is good, but they were out of quite a few things.

• Pure Food & Wine of course! It’s your birthday, so have someone nice treat you to it.

• lol thanks everyone for your responses!

• if it’s your b-day, i’d say splurge and go to pure food and wine. it’s def more of a ‘gourmet’ once in a while type place. i’ve been to both many times and, in my opinion, the quality of food at pure is superior. at first i didn’t like quintessence, but it has grown on me (mostly out of convenience, since i live a block away). i’d say enjoy the ambiance, setting and food of pure food and wine.

• UPDATE: We went to Quintessence last night for my birthday. I didn’t realize how small it was, but it was a great atmosphere and the food was delicious.

• nycgrrlnycgrrl Raw Newbie

I love quintessence!!!!! glad you went there-i like it more than pure food and wine, which i find WAY too heavy in terms of the food, and annoying in terms of the ambience.