Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

What kind of Mattress do you sleep on?

LauroliLauroli Raw Newbie

Hello. . . I am curious what mattress anyone here would recommend. I know that a lot are very toxic due to flame retardants and formaldehyde etc. I have been looking around quite a bit and it seems that most natural, organic specialty mattresses are insanely expensive. Does any one have any ideas. Why is it that only the rich seem to have easy access to health!!!??

Comments

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

Yes, the prices for natural mattresses are grossly inflated. People are greedy, even people in the health industry. I have an all-cotton futon, Japanese(nice and thin!), and yet because it is sold in this stupid country, it had to be treated. Someday, I’m going to get a note from the quack I’m forced to see now and then and buy an untreated latex mattress. Maybe. Our modern mattresses are totally poisoned and we wonder why little babies and children get cancers. Gee.

• We use IKEA mattresses. They are treated with an “eco-friendly” flame retardant as opposed to the normal cancer-causing kind. Not as good as an organic mattress, but still better than standard mattresses.

• thecavsmanthecavsman Raw Newbie

Even matresses are toxic? The list goes on and on.

• LauroliLauroli Raw Newbie

yes, I am starting to believe it’s a conspiracy. Why use toxins when there are plenty of natural alternatives to fire resistance?

• Paxton SquiggledyPaxton Squiggledy Raw Newbie

I just sleep on the wood floor, on an old comforter. Any flame retardants or formaldehyde that may have been on/in it at one time has surely been washed away in the 6 years that I’ve had it. Worked wonders on my back.

Maybe there is an inflatable mattress that hasn’t been treated with chemicals. If so, that would rock. They are more comfortable than conventional mattresses, IMO.

• chicorychicory Raw Newbie

I also just sleep on a mat on the floor with some blankets and pillows. No falling out of bed! besides being toxic, why are all the newer mattress ridiculously tall? My parents got a new mattress and box spring last year, and my dad is only 5’3”. he practically has to take a running jump to get on that thing… looks like princess in the pea it’s so tall

• Paxton SquiggledyPaxton Squiggledy Raw Newbie

A running jump? LOL!

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

That air matress might be a good idea. Wounder what they are made out of. Might be a problem there. Going to see about it tho. Your right about the height! Feel like I am mountain climbing just to get into bed.

Well, I broke down and bought a mattress last night. It’s a Simmons Natural Care mattress designed by environmentalist, Danny Seo. According to the website, “The Natural Care collection is an eco-friendly sleep system that features a natural rubber tree based latex layer made from biodegradable materials like rubber tree sap and a layer of base foam enhanced with soy. Not only is the latex supremely comfortable and supportive, but it is also inherently resistant to dust mites, mold and mildew.” The manufacturer states that there are no toxic flame retardants sprayed on the mattress. These are now sold exclusively (I think?) at JC Penney, which has finally been putting forth the effort to become more eco-friendly. This is good, but a little late in the game I think. I’ve got to admit, it was still expensive (although a bit less than other eco mattresses.) Total it was $1,699. The only reason I was able to swing it is the no-interest until Jan. 2010 deal JC Penneys offers with their charge card. Hopefully as more consumers begin to make eco-friendly, health-conscious choices, prices will be driven down. :)))

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

That is great to know. Thanks. I wounder how they get buy with no flame retardant?

I believe it’s a flame resistant layer of fiber made out of kevlar. Kevlar is the stuff they make firefigher suits out of (I think!). Also, some materials are just way more flammable than others. Natural wool is not terribly flammable as opposed to the synthetic materials most mattresses are made out of.

• I’m in the market, but $1,699? Yikes!!! I wish I could sleep on the floor. I tried a futon on the floor at one time and felt nearly paralyzed with pain the next day. We’ll see. :)

Sleeping on the floor has it’s own issues. Most carpets are even worse than beds as far as toxic chemicals, and sleeping on a wood floor would just kill my back. I am still reeling from spending that kind of money, but the no interest payment plan softens the blow A LOT! And my bed is really important to me. I will definitely post if I find anything cheaper, Karuna. :)))

• Aw, thanks doombot – I didn’t mean to imply that it wasn’t worth it – just that I don’t have it. :) Peace, Karuna