Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

youre eating too much fruit!

2»

Comments

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

I have a supportive family(they saw how I benefited) but the people at my work are never endingly telling me how “worried” they are about me. One woman said to me “I hate to be like this but I’m really concerned about you, you’ve lost weight. I think you need to eat more”......she’s had two heart surgeries and suffers heart attacks fairly often. She’s also probably fifty pounds overweight. I still have at least ten more pounds to lose and have never felt better in my life! I doubt she’ll ever get it and it makes me sad because she could benefit even more than I did.

• yes troublesjustabubble!! I hear you! a couple years ago a very well meaning lady at a church i was going to went to one of the leaders because she was very concerned about my weight (i’ve ALWAYS been thin) and in so many words wanted her to do an “intervention” for my “eating disorder”.

but i am trying to gain weight with nut butters, bananas, shakes stuff like that, cuz my butt is starting to hurt when i sit in hard seats for too long…. must be all that ‘fruit sugar’ i’m eating. ; )

• thecavsmanthecavsman Raw Newbie

Wow these stories are horrifying. I am lucky enough not to have run into people who do anything besides try to learn more about what I am doing, or if they don’t want to learn, they simply ignore it and treat it as if it is normal. In fact, my mother planted this seed of being raw, etc, back when I was younger and she had me on a rotation diet for allergies that actually helped me a whole lot – and exposed me to rice bread, spelt, guinoa, etc and forced me to only eat whole foods w/ lots of fruit + vegetables. My point is, I haven’t truly done this “on my own” because of the health food exposure when I was young, and I just want to say that I have a lot of respect for you people who have family that “dont support” eating fruits and vegetables – it is amazing to have gotten to this point with that type of background. And then to still have to fight off people who viciously come after you – wow.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I love it (sarcasm) when people are WORRIED about my health, while they’re eating pizza or drinking Red Bull! ;)

okay, so sorry about that posting a trillion times. The site doesn’t work for me all the time and it was giving me some trouble so I canceled my post and wuala it shows up like six times. haha

It’s just weird because even though I wasn’t overweight before butI had a good few extra pounds(I’ve lost about twenty) and losing that just made me look proportional. There are thinner people all around me but for the simple reason that I was losing weight from changing my eating pattern made them “concerned”. I didn’t lose it from working out so I”m not natural.

• thecavsmanthecavsman Raw Newbie

yeah troublesjustabubble

Reminds me of a friend of mine who told me to never try to get abs because you have to work out ALL the time to maintain them “to keep the fat off”. People don’t realize you can just not eat the bad stuff in the first place. He soon realized when I went raw that you can eat right and never have to run to lose body fat – as I rarely exercise for the sake of exercising.

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

while it’s tempting to dismiss the “too much sugar, too much fat” accusations of SAD eaters about our diets, and i agree that these concerns are often unsubstantiated, it is also important to keep in mind that a lot of raw diets DO have too much sugar and/or too much fat. too much raw sugar is still too much sugar, ditto with fat. it’s all about balance.

I agree. Although, this is just my opinion I feel that my communications with my body are very open and free on raw food. I tend to have a craving and fulfill it with whatever simple raw food happens to fit the craving(I do have to say that I eat very very simple foods like whole fruits, simple salads and never eat nuts) whether it be two bowls of cherries or a tomato.

• springleafspringleaf Raw Newbie

My feeling on the issue of people not responding well when you tell them that your are vegi/vegan/raw vegan is that they feel you are rejecting their food items and their gut reaction is that they feel rejected as a person because of this, (even though you may love them and are only rejecting their food, not them) they don’t stop to think about the nutrition content of any particular food, yours – or whatever they are eating at the time. Example: This morning I was having my “Filling breakfast smoothie”, my boyfriend commented that I was like a dog chewing one of those disgusting pig ears, thinking I was eating something nice when everyone else thinks “yuck, looks thick and brown” I pointed out that as an omnivore he has certainly eaten more pig ears and who knows what else in sausages etc! tehe ;) he said no more!:)

• springleafspringleaf Raw Newbie

Why did I get a line through “he said no more”? I didn’t mean for there to be one!

• Debbie5125Debbie5125 Raw Newbie

I’m enjoying these stories. First, I can relate to those horrible comments. I’ve heard many of them from friends, family and nutritionists. Second, as a Mom, there is no stopping my kids with fruit or veggies. They want four peaches for a snack? Fine. They want seconds on their smoothies? Fine. Though I do notice a little voice in my head that sometimes I want to say, “maybe that’s too much fruit”! Then I stop and remind myself to forget about those old ways of thinking.

• Lovin’ my sunshine. why dont you eat seedless watermelon?

• You know, you can talk and talk until you go red in the face, but if you want to make an impression and shift in other peoples minds then just do it by showing them and going about your raw food ways quietly and you’ll probably notice that they will start to pay more attention and become more curious because you’re allowing them to observe freely rather than being ‘told’.That’s the hardest way to get through to people. If they aren’t feeling too crash hot or are overweight or unhealthy, seeing you wake up with zest and joy each day and radiating good health eating raw food – they’ll soon stop laughing or criticizing and think ‘hey, maybe there’s something to this…’

Fi