Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

why am i brusing so easyly?

i have noticed that i have bruses up and down my legs > why have i been brusing so easy?

Comments

• heyenglishheyenglish Raw Newbie

I’ve just noticed that too, actually! Pretty much just on my knees. I seem to keep bashing them into things more than I used to, but random bruises seem to pop up too.

• Oh my goodness! I’m not alone! There are more of you out there! My legs are always bruised. Big purpley brown yellowy bruises. Admittedly I’ve always been prone to bumping into things and knocking myself on my bike pedals but my bruises are lasting so so long these days, sometimes weeks. I went to the physio last week and she questioned me worryingly. Has it got to do with high raw?

One way that I seem to prevent the bruises from coming up it rubbing the area with a firm hand and like crazing as soon as I bump myself. I think I have a half baked theory that if I rub, the blood won’t come to the surface, if that is indeed what happens.

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

I bruise pretty easily too. There is a vitamin deficiency responsible – I remember reading about it but I forget what it is. I rub MSM lotion on my bruises and they go away very fast. Like yesteray, I slammed the back of my hand on the shower door handle right on where my veins are – normally I would have a bruise today but I rub my MSM lotion on it right after and no bruise! Yeah!

• Paxton SquiggledyPaxton Squiggledy Raw Newbie

I bruised easily before raw, so nothing new here.

Couldn’t be vitamin K deficiency, could it? I keep thinking that the greens take care of that, because of all the K in them. But I may be talking out my hat.

I read somewhere years ago that if you rub onion juice a few times each day on spider veins, they fade. I tried it, and it does work somewhat. Perhaps it can help with bruises too? This is a head scratcher.

• queenfluff-What is MSM lotion? ps. I like your new picture, it’s very cute!!!

mmmmorgans – You buy MSM lotion from all the online raw sites. You can get it at most HFS too but I noticed the ones on the raw sites too be more pure (no chemicals). You could make your own too I guess – I not sure what sort of MSM they use in the lotion so I just buy mine – it lasts a long time anyhow. I bought it first to use on my acne scars because MSM is great for scars and I noticed it works well for other things too.

Also works great for cuts and bug bites – I cut my finger on my mandoline and for two days with a bandage it didn’t really heal much – still open. I took off the bandage and rub MSM lotion into the cut and it was sealed up in the morning! :) It will also help prevent scars if you put it a bad injury when your skin might scar up.

Thanks! My picture is my Almy the Almond that I created last year when we were campaigning against the Raw Almond Pasteurization last year. We put him on little flyers and signs. :)

• penfoldpenfold Raw Newbie

It could be iron deficiency. That’s what was causing my bruising a few years ago.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

You have disordered eating, don’t you? I’m not sure if I’m remembering right. Anyhow, I think you’re probably missing something like vitamin C or K. Why don’t you give us an example of a daily menu so we can help more.

• Deficiencies in B vitamins, Folic Acid, Vit. C and K (as tomsmom mentioned) can cause easy bruising. There are many many things that can cause easy bruising and we’re all just shooting in the dark here. If your bruises are lasting longer than a week or two, see your doctor or naturopath asap. (I’d do this anyway) Age does this too (but you don’t look much past 20!) I noticed over the last 5 yrs., I bruise easier and easier.

Go ahead and get a routine, baseline blood workup done. This will include a CBC, Iron, and anything else that your dr. or naturopath thinks may be worthy to check into. (hormone levels, thyroid, etc.). It doesn’t hurt for everyone to have a baseline blood workup done every couple of years, so when strange things happen to our bodies, we have a “normal” to compare to.

My daily menu is: Breakfast ~Water with lemon juice ~Green Smoothie – 2 cups water, 2 large handfuls of greens (usually spinach or kale or mixed greens), 1 banana, and 1.5 cups of fruit (usually mango or mixed berries)

Lunch ~1/2 bell pepper stuffed with diced veggies (carrot, broccoli, green onion) and sunflower “cheese” ~1/2 English (hothouse) cucumber ~Handful of broccoli or cauliflower florets

Snacks ~1 whole orange ~1 whole pear

Dinner ~Another green smoothie (with hemp protein added) and an avocado OR ~A huge salad with mixed greens, tomatoes, avocado, assorted chopped veggies, sunflower seeds OR ~Nut pesto over carrot or zucchini noodles

I seem to be eating a lot and getting a lot of variety. I never go hungry (and I have a healthy appetite). Not sure what the problem is :( Maybe I’m just getting more clumsy. I did recently start spinning class since going raw, and my knees occasionally knock into the bike.

• sheesh heyenglish, stop fighting with the bike… make it your friend. ; ) your meals sound yummy and simple. my kinda stuff.

check your B levels. low – B is a top cause for bruising easy. i know the whole B thing and whether supplementation is necessary is controversial with vegans.

do you take bee products or nutritional yeast? (i know thats a silly question, but some people who classify themselves as vegan still eat bee products)

Mamamilk – I haven’t taken any bee products or nutritional yeast. I’m thinking about adding nutritional yeast to my diet though. I think I’d rather be safe than sorry. Isn’t kelp supposed to be a good source of B-vitamins? I’ve been trying to work that into my diet.

• queenfluff-what does MSM stand for?

MSM = Methylsulfonylmethane. This is basically organic sulfur. All humans are deficient in this because of our current modern farming practices and our depleted soil. MSM is destroyed by cooking so most people are deficient in it. The raw diet supplies more of it but because of nutrient-less soil not as much as we should have. It is said that the reason we scar in the first place is because we are deficient in MSM. If we had enough MSM in our bodies, we would never scar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylsulfonylmethane

• KrystaleKrystale Raw Newbie

I’m not sure it’s raw (although mine fermented, so it can’t be TOO unraw) but if you’re low on B vites or iron try floradix. It’s vegan iron supplement. I am very anemic, and have to take this around that time of the month or I… get the vapors? Light headed, spins and bruising at the bump of a lightswitch. Yes, a lightswitch.