Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

New Here - Blender ?

Hi all! I found these forums while searching for green smoothie recipes. I started reading, and I don’t know if I want to go 100% raw, but I want to at least start by replacing two meals (breakfast and lunch) with green smoothies. I’ve been reading and I see that Vitamix and Blendtec are favorites :) I have done some research and I think that, eventually, one of the two (probably a Vitamix) is in my future. The thing is, is that I will have to save up for a little while first. In the mean time, I need a blender that will do the job. I have a dinky Sunbeam one that is about 5 years old and I know it won’t do what I need it to do.

What are your suggestions for a blender (I’ll have about a $150 budget) while I’m saving up for my Vitamix?

Thanks!

Megan

Comments

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

I have a so-so blender I spent about $40 on and it does just fine for most recipes. If you’re only interested in it for smoothies then I wouldn’t spend too much on an intermediary blender. Maybe you could just get the hang of the blender you’ve got, like chopping things up better to facilitate blending. Also always make a base with the easy things to blend, like add your fruit FIRST, then once blended up add the GREENS, cuz they’re easier to blend once you’ve got other fluid going around. I have to chop things up first and add water. No biggie. I also use it for juicing with the nut-milk method. Yes, I have to add water, but it doesn’t bother me. My sister bought me a Vitamix which I’ll start using as soon as we see each other – in a few months!

• evergreenevergreen Raw Master

hi,med0404….i really love my cuisinart blender….ive used it alot in the past year and a half.check them out :)just for fun,check out the videos at www.willitblend.com also ,there is a new magic bullet,www.magicbulletplatinumpro.com...i still use my original one every day in addition to my regular blender

• Paxton SquiggledyPaxton Squiggledy Raw Newbie

This is the one I have: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?produ…

It supposedly has 800 watts. It won’t blend things smooth like a vitamix, but I use a wire strainer to remove the pulp. I have to be a tad aggressive with the strainer, tapping it until satisfied with the state of the pulp. But it is adequate, and for the price I have no complaints.

Like you, I want a vitamix or blendtec. Oh, to be rich…

Welcome, and namaste. :-)

• Hi there,

currently I use this http://www.braun.com/global/products/fooddrink/...

It’s small when it comes to mixing cakes etc as I have to do things in lots but the juicing is fantastic. Soups are also great and easy to make. They are relatively inexpensive and when you weight it up you are getting a blender, mixer and all sort of other things in one. All I have to clean is the rod and the jar that I drink from. I rinse in water straight away. SOoooOOO EASY.

• Before I got my Blendtec, which is BEYOND FABULOUS, I used a Oster Beehive from Target. It looked cool and did a good job, especially if i chopped small or peeled things like cukes and apples before blending. However, this type of blender was never designed to pulverize bricks like what I have now, so maybe you could save for your high-speed blender faster if you did something like Vitamineral Green with soft fruits to stretch your current blender???

We did this on vacation recently when we were using an old 350 watt blender hooked up to the inverter of the rental car battery. The inverter needed for a 1500 watt blender was out of the question, but the Vitamineral Green was a good stop-gap measure.

• Thanks for all the replies! I think that my plan will be to go raw 100% and I think that will be easier to do once I see and feel the benenfits of the smoothies :)

Keep those recomendations coming though! I’m off to look for yummt smoothie recipes….

• I have a Cuisinart which I love, love, love. It wasn’t cheap but it wasn’t the price of a Vitamix. I think it was around $100. If I had it to do again, I would buy the same. Check out the Black and Green Smoothie recipe on this site – it is my favourite. I have it almost every morning. :)

• The black & green smoothie has black sesame seeds. Must these be hulled? I can find hulled white ones on net – but not black ones.

• I am in the same place as you. I thought about getting a blended to hold me over but have found that if I add just the greens with the water first and blend for a good while it breaks up everythink ok. If you haven’t read Green For Life yet it is a good start. It has recipes in the back that are simple and tasty. I replace two meals with my smoothies and I feel great. I even lost some weight. Good luck!