Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

favorite cake recipe?

jellibijellibi Raw Newbie

Hey everyone, tomorrow is my birthday :) And for my first ever raw birthday I want to make myself a cake, from me to me with lots of love. There are so many raw dessert recipes out there… are there any specific recipes that you would recommend? I love raw cocoa, I love carob, I love fruit. mmm, I love it all. Allergic to cashews though…

Help me decide! :)

Comments

• QTLaylaQTLayla Raw Newbie

Hi jellibi

I’m glad you asked this as I am in the same boat… need to make a cake for a b-day party 2 days from now… yikes!

I was thinking of making the Decadent Chocolate Torte from Living in the Raw Dessert book… has pecans, dates, cacao nibs & vanilla as ingredients. There is also an Incredibly Decadent Chocolate Cake in the same book that has similar ingredients but I like the Icing ingredients that goes with it… made with avocado, banana, dates, pine nuts, cacao nibs & vanilla.

So far this is my plan… unless someone here says they have tried it and its not so good.

I tried the Fudge Brownies Supreme recipe (same book) and it was NOT very good… but could not find the raw carob, used cacoa powder and extra dates but the flavor was not there.

Let’s Here from Others!

QTwho’s also looking for feedback on this topic

• I always make Alissa Cohen’s Black Forest Cake. It is delicious. My whole family loves it even the non raw ones. My dad even likes it and he doesnt even like chocolate!

Hi Tiny1

What are the main ingredients to the black forest cake (just in general terms as I know these recipes are copywrited)?

Waiting to Here!

QT

• jellibijellibi Raw Newbie

QT—you have a raw dessert book? Lu-cky! I’m going to have to get myself one of those.

Thanks Tiny1, I am going to see if I can find the Black Forest Cake recipe on the web…

-jelli

BTW jellibi

“Happy Birthday to YOU… Happy Birthday to YOU!!” [singing in saprono tones] :D

QTwho meant to sing that in my first message

Awe, thanks QT! I’m the big 33 today. I think it’s going to be a lucky year.

I decided to make the Deep Forest Carob cake with Fudge Frosting that is in Ani Pyo’s raw food kitchen book. It’s just basically brazil nuts, dates, and carob powder for the cake and a little more of the same for the frosting with some oil added. The brazil nuts were spendy, but, what the hell, it’s my birthday. I’ll let you know how it turns out :)

I think I might make a summer berry cobbler today too for, um, breakfast! yum.

• hey Jellibi, that’s the cake I made for my birthday a couple of weeks ago! I love Ani’s desserts, it was awesome.

Happy Birthday :)

Thanks littlegems! Yes, the cake was sooo good, I’m glad I decided to make that one. I really loved it. Couldn’t eat too much of it at once though, it was so rich. I also made the pad thai from the same recipe book and it was awesome too.

All in all a great raw food birthday experience :)

Littlegems, that is a beautiful website that you have! I have a soft place in my heart for creative stay-at-home moms (I’m one too!) I think that staying home with my daughter is the most important thing in the whole world.

Just wanted to let you know that your website was an inspiration to me!

• mmm cake, I need a good recipe for my birthday cake, it will be my first one, plus, I don’t have a dehydrator…I was thinking of doing a carrot cake, yum, yum

Hi jellibi

Actually I don’t own the Living in the Raw Desserts by Rose Lee Calabro… I borrowed it from the library… it does have some yummy sounding treats in there.

I did make one of the cookie recipes in there… but my own version… I should post it for all since it is very different from what was written… LOL

I often use books to get ideas to create my own recipes. I also look at my old cookbook and convert to raw.

I do own Ani’s, the Complete Book of Raw Food, Rawvolutions and Rawsome… after reviewing them from the library I thought they were worth the purchase.

Ani’s Berry and also the Mango Cobbler look really good.

QTwho loves being creative with food

Hi littlegems Thanks for the review of Ani’s Deep Forest Cake… I have her book and will look at that one too.

Will be making cake this AM!!

“Let Them Eat Cake!”

QT

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

I love my chocolate orange cake, quite mousse-like but tastes yummy. chocolate orange cake

Sweatpea, that looks like such a lovely recipe. I love how there is no nuts in it.

• Jellibi, here are the ingredients for the Black Forest Cake. cocoa powder, agave, dates, almonds, almond butter, avocado, cherries, almond milk, and sea salt. I think that is all, but I don’t have my book with me because I am on vacation and I only brought 5 of my six books with me but Alissa Cohen’s was too heavy so I had to leave it behind.

• Hey, I’m just getting a chance to check back in here today… thanks for your kind words Jellibi! I’m glad you had a nice RAW birthday experience. :)

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

happy birthday! mmmm, cake!

Hi jellibi

I’m glad your cake turned out great… I will keep that one in mind for the future.

Just to give a review here of the Decandent Chocolate Cake recipe from Living in the Raw Dessert book:

It was awesome… even those who were not on a raw diet LOVED it.

I did add extra cacao to the cake dough and the icing (from the Incredibly Decandent Chocolate Cake recipe, same book) as I like a deeper chocolate flavor.

So I do recommend that cake as well.

Remember to check your local public library… I was truly surprised at all the raw recipe books there were there… to order from their system.

Yummy Cake Day!

QT

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

Wow sweetpea! You have so many recipes! They all look great. I really want to try your Maca Runes and Squash Cakes. Thanks for sharing!
    LBNL:
    Happy Belated Birthday to jellibi!

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

“i like this cheesecake”: http://thesunnyrawkitchen.blogspot.com/2008/01/...

I made it and it was very good.

Thanks for the birthday wishes, everyone!

Sweetpea, I agree, your recipes look amazing. I went to your website and it is just so great. There are so many amazing people who post on this forum!

• I came across a great dessert blog by the raw food goddess: http://rawgoddessheathy.blogspot.com/ She has some beautiful cakes and dessert recipes that may give you ideas too!