Flax - how much is too much?

I’ve been eating loads of ground flax lately cuz I realized it helps me lose the bloat, plus I know it’s really good for you. Question is, how much is too much? I’ve been eating about 3-4 tablespoons per day. Is this too much? I know it contains lingans and omega-3 as well as loads of other goodies, but I just don’t want to be giving myself too much of a good thing. :)

Comments

• springleafspringleaf Raw Newbie

I don’t really know an answer to this – just a thought. When we (I) eat flax crackers even two or three would be 3-4 tablespoons of flax seeds, so from that point of veiw you are probably fine… :-)

• springleafspringleaf Raw Newbie

carmentina I just read your profile, was the raw gourmet book you read “The Raw Food Gourmet: Going Raw for Total Well-being by Gabrielle Chavez” ? this was the book that got me started on raw but no one else has ever mentioned it and of the people I have asked no one has heard of it! I really liked it, it had lots of useful advice about the practical and emotional side of being raw, as well as recipies (which I really like by the way).

• I would probably say not more than 4 TBSP of flax a day. 4 TBSP is equiv to 30 grams of fiber. you might not want any more than that because it will cause diarrhea.

• I have that book, too!

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

springleaf, the book I have is The Raw Gourmet by Nomi Shannon. It’s pretty good, but certainly not a beginner’s book. I was wanting to buy something on RAW food, but didn’t know where to begin and saw this among other books without pictures, so I got it!

3relefords, thanks for the advice. I knew it was pure fiber, but I didn’t realize just how much.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Carmentina. I don’t know how much is too much. I guess you could “feel it”. In Fats that Heal, Fat that Kill you skin would turn a certain way… (I have to check my book). But, don’t forget to balance it with Omega-6. The ratio is different for differente people… but healthy people need more omega-6 than omega-3 (according to the book).

• My fiber is UP there most days. I eat about 20 cups of salad. Love it!

But I have made flax-basil-sundried tomato pizza crusts (no fat added like restaurants do) and eaten them and been fine. That’s probably 2/3 c. flax each.

• shgadwashgadwa Raw Newbie

A five gallon bucket of flax seeds eaten in one sitting…. is too much.

Hope that helps.

• heathermarsbombheathermarsbomb Raw Newbie

when you cant stop running to the bathroom, it’s too much flax.

• beate64beate64 Raw Newbie

I us often flax, sometimes in a raw pancake recipe, or in a raw hamburger recipe together with sunflower seeds. No problems at all, but I guess you got to test this out for yourself, how your body is reacting.And I dont do this every day…

Carmentina,I started too with The Raw Gourmet by Nomi Shannon, but my favourite is Ani’s Raw Food Kitchen by Ani Phyo. Great book, lots of info, awesome and easy recipes. If you have a chance, go and get it! :)

• That is pretty funny shgadwa. I think the key is not to get to crazy with anything. :-)