Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

He said, She said and who started it?

lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Of our raw couples out there, I’m interested…Who went raw first? How did your partner lure you into this amazing lifestyle? Were you the change you wanted to see or did you embark on this journey together. I’m alone on my island. Husband tried it for 5 days, lowered his fasting sugar to the point of great health and then came home and made eggs, bacon and toast with a big martini! What’s a girl to do? Time to spill, Chris & Zoe!

Comments

• I went vegan first and raw first. I got him hooked first on Living Harvest hemp milk instead of cows milk. He hated the taste of soy milk and pretty much everything soy. His first taste of raw was a raw lasagna (he ate half the pan) and felt super energetic afterwards. It takes time, but keep luscious raw treats around and make tasty raw meals, he will eventually try and like. I keep finding that the less i force my health ideals on others the more people come to me and ask advice.

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

I’m pretty certain it would be the ladies getting the guys to come along. I’m working on getting more veggies and fruits into my husbands diet….there will never be a day he won’t eat meat though. haha.

Girls have a complex with their skin, hips, love handles, cellulite, hair, etc that leads them to find solutions. I think guys are a lot more laid back and don’t care so much about those superficial things.

I’m interested to see if someone out there has an example of the opposite!

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

My bf was more raw when I met him than I was – I was sort of resistant to it as I was just going vegan at the time and he was a bit too pushy about some of my habit (ie coffee) and I would get mad that he was pushing me into it to fast.

But I still see myself as embarking on the journey alone in a way – I had advice and help with was good – I don’t think I would be as knowledge about raw today if I didn’t learn from my bf and friends.

Even with us both being into raw – we don’t have the same tastes. He like spicey stuff and I don’t. He will eat anything I make but I won’t eat most of the stuff he makes because I don’t like the taste of it. Of course, he takes it personally and I told him not too. Men! :)

My advice to you is that you can’t push it – people don’t want to be nagged and pushed to fast into things. Sounds like your husband is definatley interested or he wouldn’t have tried it at all. At least, he was open enough to try!

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

I don’t need the husband to be raw. We all make our own choices here and Bubbaw6 i think you hit a good point in mentioning the “meals”. What meals? I just eat fruits, then I eat an avocado, veggie hummus w/ veggies is often dinner, pesto or a huge salad. I’ve really moved away from recipes and especially 3 course “dinners”. My body is quieting at that time and a salad is all i want in the evening. But, you’re right, if i whipped up the dehydrated veggie burgers w/ jicama fries, some seed breads, and a fabulous raw pie I’d have the whole family on board. I just don’t do that anymore. I honestly couldn’t eat it and i’d have to quit my job to prepare it.

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

I think a lot depends how old the person is. Mine is 78. He figures why change. Unless of course, like his latest scare of high blood pressure. On raw for two weeks. Got his weight and pressure down. Now it is back to his old ways. My thought is that when a man gets to be over 21, he must figure these things out himself. All women can be is the example. Sadly, men hate to be followers.

haha so true beany.

lzhpt-I eat my “dinners” with my husband even though I make him something different. I am also a simple eater like you. I don’t think I could handle all the recipes. I have a piece of fruit or two during the day and a salad and an avocado or something for my evening meal. Maybe later I snack on a tomato but I never have big meals. I just enjoy sitting down with my husband for dinner. Even if it’s just to have a plum:)

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

hey tjab-we do eat together, all 5 of us. 1 vegan, 1 raw vegan, 1 vegetarian, 1 no mammal flesh and 1 meat eater. Putting together a dinner is an exhaustive process,juggled between driving to soccer, dance and gymnastics, but i’m happy for the changes everyone is making. My biggest problem being married to the no mammal eater is i notice how cooked foods negatively affect his energy and the raw foody in me is on a whole different plain. We’ve been married 18 years and i’ve been raw for 2.5 years. It’s a big change as you know. It affects all those things you do together like dining out, dining with friends, social gatherings. I have full intentions of staying raw for life.

lzhpt-Wow! Quite a collection of eaters you have! My husband I’m pretty certain will never go raw no matter how unhealthy he is. Although I cook very healthy food for him and he’s lean and athletic. He loves food and loves trying new things but meat is something he’ll never give up. He thinks it’s awesome that I’m raw because he’s seen how much it’s helped me so that’s a comfort to have his full support. Eating out has never been a problem since I just get raw options like a salad or whatever they can prepare me. I love salads so it’s good enough for me!

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

How long have you been raw? I ask that because initially I had that same reaction like, “Wow! She’s fixed!” He was so happy because I was so happy all the time. LOVED the raw wife. I know I’ll figure it all out. Thanks, tjab.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Well, since you asked!

When Chris and I met we were both vegans. I was a total junk food vegan, I lived on coffee and potatoes in every shape and form that it is humanly possible to arrange them into. He was much healthier and he had been living at a retreat centre in Virginia, USA, where he met lots of raw foodists. I had heard about raw food in magazines, you know “Demi shares her diet secrets” “Diets of La La Land (L.A.)”etc, but I thought that it was only for celebs with chefs and zillions of pounds. Chris talked about how he wanted to go raw and I said “Blimey normal people can do it??” And one raw lemon tart and mock salmon pate later and we both went raw.

Chris found it easier than me at first. He just went right into 100% really, he did yo yo a bit at the start, he did have a bit of a Love affair with the English Chip, I mean come on, who wouldn’t?!

I yo yo’d a lot, which taught me plenty about what cooked food does to the body and what raw does. But you know, when we would eat cooked food, we would start to argue and we’d really have a problem with each other. But when ate 100% we got on so well, it was totally different.Eventually after about a year of yo yo ing I made a promise to myself and went 100% and haven’t looked back since. We didn’t know anyone who was raw, and until 2007 we didn’t even go on any forums at all, it was just me and him and a big pile of books.

It is funny how we met, and then a week later our situation meant that had to live together in my tiny one person flat, and then pretty much right away we both went raw together. It has been one crazy ride ;)

It is amazing for us both to be raw, we are so lucky! He is obsessed with making recipes and he is really anal about making them taste perfect. He’ll work on something for literally months, so I get to be his sounding board and the taster for all his new creations. And our cat is raw too.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Awesome to hear about raw couples! Thanks.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

OK Zoe. So does he have brothers? :D

• I proposed the raw vegan diet and made some dishes for both of us to try out and we were both hooked pretty much on the same time… but I do the reading up and looking for recipes n stuff.

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

We both found out about it at about the same time, several years ago, only referred to it as “living” food. So..neither started it. Although we both did not make a full and official effort to make it our diet until late last year/early this year(together). We always ate alot of raw fruits and vegetables, but we ate 45-85%(varying) cooked vegetarian(generally vegan but not always, and fairly healthy). For me, probably more, just before I went raw I ate nothing but wheat and beans (cheaper).

Sorry to be off topic…Zoe, what/how do you feed your cat. I am interested. I can’t take seeing my sweet baby obese and tired. I love him and I want him to be healthy and happy. I’d had some meat-based freeze-dried “raw”(don’t know how truly raw it was) food for him and he was doing well, but it was expensive and I hate feeding him meat, not only because I don’t want the animals being treated cruelly, but they are fed chemicals. So anyway, what do you do?

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

My cat is not vegan, but he is all raw. I give him 2-3 chicken drumsticks with the meat trimmed off and the bone smashed with a hammer inside a plastic bag, and with that he has a little bit of chicken liver, some pre packed raw ground rabbit, a few multi vitamins and some hemp oil. The essentials are bone for their bones to stay healthy, and they also need internal organs – liver, heart kidney for taurine. The feline vitamins just to make sure he has everything he needs, and the hemp oil for the omegas, well I don’t really know if they need omegas but he likes the hemp oil and I heard someone gave their cat it and it is good for flexibility.

I get the pre packaged rabbit from the pet shop, they sell raw ground meat for working dogs, who have traditionally always been fed a raw diet! It is really cheal, about 69p/30 cents for a package that lasts him for a week. If you live in the UK go to Pets At Home which is a huge chain of pet shops and they sell it there.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

back to the raw couple topic, my husband is finally pretty much raw! i left on a trip and thought for sure he would revert back to what he used to do (cooked vegan). well i just talked to him and he is making salad dressing and planning what raw meals to whip up. honestly he doesn’t want to be dogmatic about it,; he just naturally gravitated towards it. he always loved cooking vegan so once he figured out some raw tricks and gadgets he was into raw un-cooking. the first thing that hooked him was the green smoothies, then the raw desserts, and then the fancier prepared raw meals (burgers, chili, etc). i do make time to make some fancier recipes now and then because it keeps me interested and on the diet. and the ice cream maker helped too. now we make raw ice cream together (which is really easy actually). so at first it was me but now it’s both of us.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

bitt-That’s great. I must say, I’m so impressed with all these raw couples. Truly…raw is easier that way, isn’t it?

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

Izhpt, I think it depends on the couple’s interests. He had a strong interest in cooking and also making food for me. So when he wasn’t able to do that with cooked food, he tried with raw. I think it was just adjusting the pattern you are in. I never once cooked him cooked food when I was first trying out raw, if he wanted that he had to do it alone. Of course with no audience his cooked food was boring and my raw food was much more exciting. Probably the one way to “convert” a partner is to refuse to cook for them and un-cook with an open invitation for them to try it. (Yes, I play hard ball!)

• BeTheChangeBeTheChange Raw Newbie

Even though it’s not my personal raw couple story, and not to sound like a raw vegan celebrity fanatic, but I do know that Jinjee went raw after meeting Storm who had already been raw for years. They tell their story on their website at www.thegardendiet.com, and it’s a pretty good story, because now they even have 5 raw vegan kiddos! They make it seem so easy to raise an entirely raw family sometimes.

Anyways, not that she is my partner by any means-just a good friend-but I will finally be living with another raw vegan! I am SO excited. I can’t wait to see how our creativity with food plays off of each other, etc, and I can imagine it is similar with raw vegan couples that live together. There is something powerful about sharing true nourishment, which is what I personally think brings us all together too!

Happy full moon everybody!

• don’t Jinjee and her family consume bee pollen (not vegan?) just curious

• I went veg 3 years ago and my husband had no intentions to follow. But as I learned more and more about eating healthy (and sharing it with him ;) he gradually began to follow, but never completely gave up meat. a couple of months ago I was telling him about what I’d read about raw food, not at all like “hey lets do this”, just interesting facts. a few days later, he told me he felt like we should go all raw vegan, he was tired of battling allergies and stomach problems and wanted to dive in head first. so we did! and it’s been great! It was his idea (with my input) and he is totally into it. I don’t think we will be going back.