Ever heard of someone turning osteoporosis around with raw?

Have you ever heard of a case of an elderly person turning osteoporosis or osteoperenia around with raw vegan or raw vegetarian diet?

Me Mum’s got bone loss. :-(

Comments

• shgadwashgadwa Raw Newbie

For those who do not know how this works:

The body NEEDS nutrients. It NEEDS calcium. Now, if it is not getting enough calcium from food, it takes calcium out of the bones. God designed our bodies, in such a brilliant way that our body sees it more important, to keep the heart and lungs working and other vital organs… while your bones rot away. If it was the other way around, you would have strong bones, and be dead.

Many things contribute to this lack-of-calcium. Such as that…. YOU ARE NOT CONSUMING ENOUGH. What about all that milk I drank? I heard you say. Well, every scientist knows that excess protein prohibits calcium absorption.

Dairy is a POOR source of calcium. I think most of it is because its cooked.

SO, what she needs to do is get on a raw food diet and LOTS of carrot juice. Anything green and orange has calcium. She needs more calcium in her bones.

Hope that helps.

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

I am 66, in my late 50’s I shrunk 2”. When I started eating raw I regained 1 1/2” back. Stay away from dairy and meat. Try to eat brocc., collards, or kale every day. Sea veggies are also high in minerals.

• Paxton Squiggledy, My mom was diagnosed with osteoperosis in her hips and oteopenia in other areas. She’s 4’9”, 85#, and has always been a pescatarean, but mostly veggie. But, she eats out a lot, and microwaves a lot. I advised her to go raw, down greens, etc. but her doctor (supposedly one of the top in the Nation), advised NO greens, increased dairy, etc. She tried his way for a while, but I think she’s with me now. Weight lifting can help too, or any weight bearing exercises that bear down on the affected part of the body. Keep me updated on what you learn, I will do the same… To me, it seems that the body can heal itself of anything, from cancer to cavities, if it has the right tools. An alkaline diet full of fresh veggies, fruit, good fats, etc, a good mindset and exercise should do the trick, if the person is willing. Good luck! :)

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

So many people believe that it is simply a matter of calcium for protecting our bones against OP. It is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much more complicated than that!
    Without enough Vitamin D it does not matter if you ingest calcium until the proverbial cows come home. It will not get properly absorbed.
    AND calcium needs to be balanced with the right amount of magnesium AND the right amount of other minerals like zinc, iron, BORON, manganese, as well as Vitamin K…etc etc etc…. ie: just one example: too much Iron will compete with absorption of Calcium.
    AND one needs to make sure that they do not get too much Synthetic Vitamin A because that will kill your bones. (avoid Multivitamins with excess Vitamin A!!!!)

Whenever blood pH gets thrown off your body will rob minerals from your bones. Eating a SAD diet is the worst thing anyone can do if they want to have a functioning skeleton throughout their lifetime.
    Sticking to a vegan diet is best. Dairy is NOT good for bones.

PS: most people (sun-worshippers included) do not get nearly enough vitamin D… especially if they use sunscreen lotion. Don’t expect your average MD to tell you this though…. unless they are a holistic medical practitioner or a ‘think outside the pharmaceutical company’ type of doctor

• Paxton SquiggledyPaxton Squiggledy Raw Newbie

Shgadwa...

DUH.

• shgadwashgadwa Raw Newbie

Very much, agreed, greenghost.

Good thing we are out in the sun… or should be.

True about the pH level… I forgot to mention that.

peace.

Beany, thanks for your input. That is exactly what I’m looking for! Very glad to hear that your condition improved with raw. :-)

Do you take any supplements as well?

Shakes, thanks for sharing. :-) I will definitely post anything new with her condition. Upping the greens is definitely in the plan, along with a few other adjustments.

Glad to hear that your Mom is willing to try raw for this. So sad the things that doctors tell us, that they don’t even know is wrong.

Greenghost, yes there is that freeky relationship between calcium and Vitamin D. And it is so interesting how the minerals all work with each other. The relationship between copper and zinc, for example. And how calcium levels affect blood pressure.

Definitely gonna get the Moms off SAD. She was raw for some time, but cooked garbage lured her back.

Be well.

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

Paxton Squiggledy – I sincerely wish the best for your Mom.
    Cheers
    PS- Weight Bearing exercise (walking, weight-lifting etc…) is known to help maintain bone structure (you probably are aware of this, but I figured it’s worth mentioning…)
    oh – sorry – shakes13t already mentioned the exercise!

For my bones I do take a vit.D fall-spring, and MSM for cartilage. 5 years ago I was taking 18 supplements a day, now look what I take.

In case you are wondering vegan is a great help for RA.

I have a bounder, bar-bells, do daily stretches and walk a lot plus live in a two story house. I have tried running but I don’t like the feeling on my bones.

Hi beany. Vitamin D and MSM supplements? Cool, tells me my mind was headed in the right direction.

Bounder? If that’s what I’m thinking about (tiny trampoline), always been curious…does it make sore your knees or back to spend more than 15 minutes on it? Always been curious about those things.

I got my Mom walking the dog (cumulative 2.5 miles daily, 5 days). but she will stab me if I try to get her to walk stairs, LOL!

• beany, did you gain the inches back through better posture, or did your bone density actually increas?

I slouch just as bad now, as then. Good posture has never been my bright point.So when I get measured I stand the same at all times. Couldn’t say if my bones got denser. Never had that checked. All I know where once I was 5’3”, now I am 5’4 1/2”.

Bounder is the mini tramp. Just start out easy. Meaning don’t lift the feet off the tramp at first, just heels. My trainer wanted me to do 10 min. a day on it, we settled for 5 min. for 5 days. I now jump off and on and run in place.By the way I sprained my back years ago. So slow and easy was the key for buld up.