Natalia Rose's Ice Creams

Greetings,

I’ve got a question for all of you raw ice cream enthusiasts.

In Natalia Rose’s first book, she’s using banana and dates for the chocolate ice cream, but coconut and dates for her fruit-flavored and vanilla ice creams. From the looks of it, the reason why she’s using the coconut is to bring out the other flavors. Is my palate’s hypothesis correct?

Many thanks, K.

Comments

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

That’s intersting. Well, I don’t know… but Purely Decadent came out with a Coconut Milk ice cream (sweetened with agave) which has a chocolate flavor and it went perfectly well together… especially with chocolate almond milk and sweet dark cherries.

I don’t see why you can’t make coconut milk ice cream with chocolate.

• Greetings germin8,

I’m sure you could make chocolate ice cream with coconut milk, but can you make strawberry, orange, or vanilla ice cream with bananas and have them not taste like straberry-banana, orange-banana or vanilla-banana?

I bought bananas yesterday (because they’re cheaper than coconuts and I’m so new to opening coconuts that I’m just not interested in dealing that right now), so I’m gonna try the chocolate ice cream recipe per Rose’s book…I’ve got some blueberries on hand, so I’ll go on and try a blueberry ice cream with a frozen banana base too.

Who knows? Maybe the blueberry version won’t taste like blueberry-banana, I’ll get to post the recipe, and then…I’ll be cool ;p

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Oh, I misunderstood your question the first time. Thanks for clarifying. I think your palate’s hypothesis is correct. :o) The banana is truly a strong flavor. Coconuts are not cheap, but they do provide a smooth flavor.

Some ice creams can be made with less coconut… just add almond milk and cashews (plus vanilla and salt). Hope that helps.

• Great tip, germin8. I’m definately going to take your advice with the almond milk and cashews. Thanks!

And wouldn’t you know there’s a banana-based ice cream recipe here on the site at http://goneraw.com/recipes/5095-Nut-Free-Banana…?

I’m getting excited!