Legumes??

I’ve read recipes that contain substitutes for legumes. I was wondering what the deal was. Why not sprout chickpeas and what not? I could use some more complete protein in my diet. I figured raw hummus (with chickpeas) would be a good form of complete protein. As of right now I do sprouted quinoa with hemp. It’s delicious, but I would like more ways. I haven’t read any bad news on chickpeas but I was wondering why no one uses them in their dishes.

So my question is why no chickpeas and etc in recipes? Are we not suppose to be eating them??

Thanks everyone!

Comments

• FeeFee Raw Master

I don’t know what it is but they are supposed to be hard work for the digestion, so I guess the amount of chickpeas (yummy) that you would normally but into a dish would just be far to hard to digest if you used the same amount of sprouted chickpeas.

If you enjoy eating them though, do so. I made some great onion bahjis with sprouted chickpeas and they were outstanding. (The recipe is in Kate Wood’s book Eat Smart, Eat Raw).

• beate64beate64 Raw Newbie

Hi there, in Nomi Shannon’s ‘The Raw Gourmet’ is a great recipe for raw hummus. I took to a birthday party of meat eaters and they love it! We did not have any problems with digestion and I get easily a bloated stomach… it tastes great and you can use for some many other recipes, on a raw burger, with veggie chips, anything.

2 cups chickpeas, soaked 12 hours, sprouted 48 hours, 2-4 cloves garlic, chopped, 1/2 cup water, 1/4-1/2 cup raw tahini, 2 tbs liquid aminos, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 4 tbs chopped parsley, 2-4 tbs extra virgin olive oil

process everything until smooth and enjoy! :)

• iknikn

beate64: I have that book too . and I love it. i have yet to try the hummus recipe.

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

Another legume you may like to try is sprouted French Lentils. They are smaller than regular lentils and almost a blue green in color.

• jellibijellibi Raw Newbie

I had a hard time sprouting chickpeas. I rinsed them many, many times and they still got all filmy/moldy looking and smelled disgusting. Ew, I threw them away. Maybe I’ll try them again at some point, but I don’t really miss legumes at all.

jellibi…. Maybe you are getting old beans or you could try sprouting them a different way. I use the jar method. No problems.

By the way treeoflife, I also sprout, adzuki beans, mung beans, peas, black eye peas, the french lentils,

• TOL, Who knows whether we are supposed to be eating them or not? That is the question…I look at foods from an evolutionary perspective (what would we have evolved eating) and beans (for the most part) need to be cooked to be digested EXCEPT for sprouting. I imagine that our evolutionary ancestors would sometimes find sprouted beans and eaten them, but not dry ones. When you sprout, you get the plant at its enzymic peak, but with legumes you also get a lot of starch, which creates digestive havoc for many.

I’ve sprouted organic dried chick peas and made hummus and it was not great. The sprouted chickpeas are of such a different nutritional composition than cooked ones, which is why I think you find a lot of substitutions in hummus recipes. And, like jellibi, sometimes the sprouting just doesn’t turn out.

I understand that to minimize the starch content of sprouted legumes that one needs to chop and rinse them, and the multiple rinsings wash away much of the starch. I don’t know how much that would help the taste, though. Like jelli, I don’t miss legumes much, either, and I used to eat them all the time (all that gas, though, tells me that they are not something that we evolved eating or else we would have adapted more by now—but I didn’t think about that then). Cheers.

• hannahmariehannahmarie Raw Newbie

i just point blank find sprouted chick-peas disgusting and operate under the assumption that anything that gross couldn’t be good for me.

In the middle of winter when you would like real fresh peas sprout dried peas.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Don’t sprout them-ever!

• beate64beate64 Raw Newbie

Hi there all, you might find this interesting, I posted it under ‘Raw Green Beans’, but it does fit in here very well. And by the way, I dont have any problems with sprouted beans, maybe things change when they sprout… But I also would not eat them every day… This is what I posted:

Hi there, I tried out yesterday the delicious recipe listed here with raw beans and ginger. It was awesome, but… my green beans I picked were already a bit advanced and many of them had big seeds in their pods. I added some other ingredients (swiss chard, mushrooms, peppers) to them, put them into a ziplock bag like it was suggested and tried by one poster and had them for 2 hours in the dehydrator.

We liked the recipe, but the green beans seemed a bit hard to eat, so we just had a few. I have had maybe a handful.

Well, I tell you, after 1 short hour I became dizzy, my stomach bloated like crazy to a balloon, I’ve had cramps, thought I needed to vomit but couldnt. It was terrible! The worst stomach ache I’ve ever had… and my night was one big nightmare, and yes, I’ve had also nightmares on top of it.

Well, I got taught that raw green beans are toxic and should not be eaten but with all those delicious recipes I gave it a try… Well, after researching this topic in a few languages I came up with some good info I like to share and please give me your input on it.

Maybe it is easier to eat the tender fresh and early beans and maybe some people can just take it better, but the matter of fact is that there is a poison in and it cant be talked away:

A toxic compound – the lectin phytohaemagglutinin – found in the bean can cause severe gastric upset. This protein, lectin, binds itself with the red blood cells and can clump those. These molecules also stick to the colon and can produce severe metabolism problems.

This compound is present in many varieties of green beans (and in some other species of bean), but is especially concentrated in red kidney beans and white kidney beans (Cannellini beans). Although in the case of dry beans the ten minutes required to degrade the toxin is much shorter than the hours required to fully cook the beans themselves, outbreaks of poisoning have been associated with the use of slow cookers whose low cooking temperatures may be unable to degrade the toxin. Sprouts of pulses high in haemaglutins should not be eaten. Kidney beans, especially, should not be sprouted.

After a certain amount is consumed, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach and intestinal cramps occur. Toxic reactions appear quickly, usually 1-3 hours after consumption, and disappear 3-4 hours after the meal.

I know many of you eat raw green beans, but maybe some other varieties are better to eat and/or it is different when they are very young and tender.

Anyway, I have had those exact reactions and still have a bloated stomach the night after and dont feel quite right yet.

I like to have your input on this topic. Thanks so much.

I am feeling slowly better now… :))