Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

The Wai Diet

I’ve been thinking about trying this… It’s an omni-raw diet that mainly consists of fruits, fats (olive oil, nuts, etc), and raw meat. It claims that we do not need vegetables, grains, and beans as they contain substances that inhibit digestion and/or are toxic. Food processing (such as cooking) is done to make these foods edible.

This leads to the issue of HCA and other substances created by heating and processing foods (many of you are aware of this). I know there are a ton of you who can debate and support some claims of this diet, so please share your insight!

http://www.waidiet.com/

Comments

• I do not think that they explain why lettuce would not be included. I understand why they would not include some veggies, but I thought that greens like lettuce and celery are supposed to be easily digested. As for raw meat, well that just kind of crazy! I could see eating a raw farm egg, but raw meat? Not wise.

• hannahmariehannahmarie Raw Newbie

sounds kind of crazy to me, but i’m first and foremost a vegan so i am probably biased against anything including meat/other animal biproducts.

• Ok for the vegans… Take raw meat out of the picture and replace it with a vegan equivalent such as chlorella.

• greeniegreenie Raw Newbie

It’s definitely not healthy for the animal.

• Read my last post and then take a second to read the other concepts of the diet. It has some interesting info whether you are vegan or not. I understand the ethical concerns of a non-vegan diet, but please try and leave ethics out of this discussion. I’m looking for optimal health, so don’t bash this unless you have information to support your reasoning.

• hannahmariehannahmarie Raw Newbie

ok, in that case i would say it doesn’t look like something i would do. vegetables make me feel healthy and i don’t feel like they are hard to digest, personally. they are super nutrient packed.

• This just sounds crazy to me. Yes, it is true most greens and veggies have small amounts of toxins in them. This is just nature’s way of guiding you to eat a variety, not just one plant for its own survival. Eating raw meat is not safe or healthy. I feed my dog raw meat but her high acid digestion can use it well. We all need to eat a species specific diet. There is always some crazy diet coming down the path but a good raw diet with a lot of variety has made many very sick people well including me so I pay more attention to real results and the ways of nature that has been un-tampered with by man for my best direction.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

The protein amounts are extreme. I understand the attraction of diets like this and others like the paleo diets, but I don’t find the theories behind them to be very substantial. The “well, our ancestors ate like this” doesn’t mean a lot. You can also survive easily on a diet of pototoes.

Also, why get offended about comments? You’ve posted a meat-based diet on a vegan board.

• I am not offended. I was just hoping that I would be provided with insight rather than criticism and biased opinions. I was also under the impression that this is a “raw” foods board and not strictly a vegan board.

I am aware that you can survive on a diet of potatoes, but I highly doubt that it would be a very healthful survival. I’m talking about optimal nutrition and not just eating to survive.

I know that there are some people here who can intelligently debate some aspects of this diet and animal products for that matter, so please do share your unbiased opinions.

Ethics aside, why are raw animal products bad for consumption other than possible contamination? Do you think that living on fruits, fat, and some animal protein/blue-green algae would be a good choice for optimal health?

• Thank you rose for that insightful comment. What do you believe is the proper species specific diet and why is meat excluded?

• I believe that a proper diet for humans is equal to the diet of the chimpanzee and our DNA is almost exactly the same. I do not however personally believe that we have evolved from these primates but I believe that we were created in the Garden and that a diet of foraging on herbs, fruit, nuts and seeds was the diet that I was created for. There is tons of scientific facts to back this up and also many people have gotten well on a good raw diet. I personally sort out the conflicting information by what I believe is the truth of God’s word. I don’t have to spiritualize everything because much of it is just pure biology. The best book that I have found that explains the biological issues plainly is Green For Life by Victoria Boutenko.

• KevlarKevlar Raw Newbie

Chimpanzees are omnivores.

I’ve only been raw about six months, and during that time, I’ve tried raw eggs, milk, beef and chicken (all grass-fed, free-range and organic, of course) and I’ve felt no ill-effects from it.

• The information in articles such as these are still preventing me from becoming vegan. I will still look into the book though.

• I have to say that chimpanzees do only eat a few insects but not all the time and they don’t seem to have any negative effects if they don’t although if really stressed in an unatural environment they do eat meat but in the wild it is very rare. Some other primates are more into the meat thing though such as the baboon. This is according to Jane Goodall who in my opinion should know. I know this has really changed my view in my consumption of greens. I need to eat tons more than I do and I am working on it through the use of geen smoothies.

^ chimpanzees eat each other, too.

According to the website, only raw fish and eggs are required:

The Wai Diet basically consists of:

• fruits (raw, can also be juiced or (sun)dried)
    • olive oil
    • raw egg yolk
    • raw fish

Optional:

• nuts
    • other oils
    • raw meat (not advocated)
    • sugar
    • other

http://www.waidiet.com/twd-diet.html

• thecavsmanthecavsman Raw Newbie

All I needed to know is how long meat, etc sits in our bodies and, NOPE, not happening for me. Ill be honest, it had NOTHING to do with caring about the animals when I first went raw vegan (now I care). But I just think something that takes that long to digest is obviously not for us. I bet I wouldn’t stay body odor-free eating meat, even raw. Just my 2 cents.

• Hey Kevlar, how do you recommend I prepare raw meat? I can’t really hack the taste and it’s way too chewy. I do the raw milk and eggs, but I cook meat (rare to medium-rare). Have you ever tried cutting animal products out of your diet? If so, did you feel any better or worse as a result?

Honestly, I’m trying to be as vegan as possible, and I only tried raw meat on a few occasions. I sliced it really thin and ate it with soy sauce (just like sashimi.)

I was 100% raw vegan for a couple months before I had any meat, and where some people might expect to have a violent reaction from it (stomach pains, nausea, sweats, etc) I felt nothing. No positive effects, and no negative effects. I can’t say anything about the long-term effects of either diet though.

But the effect of going raw, in general, is unmistakable. I definitely feel better.

If you’ve never been 100% raw vegan, I’d say give it a try, at least for a month or two. You might just surprise yourself.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

this actually is a vegan-oriented raw foods site.

• I am definitely going to start eating a lot more raw foods and hopefully go on a high raw diet in a couple of weeks. I’ll also take up the vegan challenge sometime for a month or so to see how I feel. Thanks for the suggestions.

bitt: I hope you don’t shoot trespassers.

• BeTheChangeBeTheChange Raw Newbie

she doesn’t, but I do. psh.

just kidding:)

I’d say go kill your own meat, and then eat it if you want it so bad! ...ya, you won’t find many meat-contenders on this site, myself included. We get along just fine without!

• Not to bash vegans or Christian vegans for that matter, but Jesus ate meat. I’m not sure if any of you believe otherwise, but it is quite true. The two fish and five loaves of bread story should be coming to mind for those Christians out there. I am sorry if this passage offends anybody.

“[I]n the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; Speaking lies in hypocrisy, ... and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth. For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving. [1 Timothy, Chapter 4:1-4]”

I do support some of what PETA does and says, but the philosophy that all animals are created equal is in direct conflict with Christian beliefs. I am not trying to spread religion, but this is just for those of you who believe that the Bible provides a good argument against non-vegan practices.

• Don’t hate me for my evil ways! I would probably feel bad if I went out and killed an animal though. Awesome hypocrisy yeah… You’re all playing vegan mindgames with me! Dragging me into contradicting statements and your temptations of better odor-free lifestyles!

For real though.. I’m thinking about becoming a vegan..

BeTheChange: That is an awesome username. I’m doing my best to follow that ideal each and every day of my life.

• greeniegreenie Raw Newbie

james3112,

I think it’s great you’re exploring this. I can completely understand and respect your interest in doing this right and getting what you need from your diet.

Try the wai diet and see how it suits you. That’s my insight.

I’m not a huge fan of trying to consume a list of nutrients according to the latest science du jour. For one thing, that science is always changing. Tomorrow will bring another finding. No one knows all the health- and life-giving elements in food. For another thing, it’s not (only) what the food contains, it’s whether or not we can digest it. If it were otherwise, we could eat nails to get iron.

I don’t believe there’s one ideal diet for everyone. The wai diet may suit you—that’s why I say try it and see. I don’t feel good when I eat animal products. I’ve been vegetarian since 1968 but have eaten cheese and the occasional egg. They don’t suit me. Even the gorgeous organic eggs and goat cheese produced locally by my friend from her healthy, free ranging animals, that are treated with care and are never killed.

There have been times when I’ve felt something missing from my diet. That always (so far) has been cured by eating more greens and fruits. But that may be just me. Your body may do better with some animal products. Only you can tell.

You might also want to check out the Nourishing Traditions for another viewhttp://tinyurl.com/6555u3. She emphasizes the value of cultured and fermented foods for healthy bacteria (among other things).

Most of us who have been vegan - especially raw vegan - notice that the body feels really really clean. We start to become aware of the effect of different foods as we eat them. No science or reading can tell you that. Only your own cultured health and sensitivity can do that.

Congratulations on your decision to go raw. You’re welcome here – not a trespasser.

• Thanks for the support greenie. I really want to try and create my own diet with the best ideals of each and exclude what I believe can do harm. That is why I encourage debates such as these. I don’t think I’ve learned more by any other method.

I have taken a peek into the world of fermented foods and have found them to be very nourishing and beneficial for most people including myself. I have learned a lot so far, and am continuing my knowledge everyday in hopes of giving back something of my own in the field of alternative health care and nutrition.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

james3112 About your original post:

It claims that we do not need vegetables, grains, and beans as they contain substances that inhibit digestion and/or are toxic. Food processing (such as cooking) is done to make these foods edible.

Agreed. However, the “substances” that inhibit digestion (in nuts, seeds, & grains) are the enzyme inhibitors that are removed during germination (which is why we soak). What other “substances” does the diet refer too?

I agree with rosehebrew about varying your greens because of its toxins (because I, too, read Boutenko’s book).

As for Jesus eating meat. There is no record that he actually ate meat. But, true… why would you serve something that you wouldn’t eat yourself. I do believe if he ate meat, it would be clean meat… from a clean animal and without blood (~kosher). One author wrote this about meat: “Its influence is to excite and strengthen the lower passions, and has a tendency to deaden the moral powers”. I do not have a scientific reference for this… (that would be nice). On the other hand, the same author does say some people need meat (due to their health condition)... I guess, like omegas in fish… I won’t go into explaining what was meant there.

Correction [Sept 28, 2008]: There is evidence Jesus ate meat! Luke 24:42. “They gave him a piece of broiled fish, and he took it and ate it in their presence.”

• There is no recording of him eating meat, but there are plenty of indications in the Bible leading to that conclusion. There certainly aren’t any against being non-vegan.

“Unto Adam also and to his wife did the Lord God make coats of skins and clothed them. [Genesis 3:21]”

Sprouting is one thing that does contradict the Wait Diet, which is what’s holding me back a little bit. Although alfalfa sprouts contain L-Cavanine (excessive consumption can cause abnormal red blood cell counts, enlargement of the spleen, or relapses of lupus in excessive quantity) and red clover has high amounts of phytoestrogen. Other possible sprout toxicity I’m unaware of, but this kind of ties in with the concept of the Wai Diet.

germin8: That quote is merely from a personal/ethical standpoint and should hardly be regarded as something to live by as far as health purposes. However I do respect it’s moral value and those who live by it.

I have some questions… Wouldn’t eating a ton of raw greens everyday make you sick? Even if you vary the types of greens you eat, wouldn’t the toxins be accumulating in your system? What about raw potatoes and other vegetables like that? You’d get sick off of those right? How do you create a strike-through on here?

• Luke 24:41-43 Jesus did eat meat. He would not have eaten it raw, though. When God began to allow meat to be eaten he told Noah to cook it.

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

good grief…. another God this and God that…. Jesus this and Jesus that… forum.
    I’m sorry (sort-of) to be facetious, but not everyone takes NUTRITION advice from the bible.

• jellibijellibi Raw Newbie

check out the book Nourishing Traditions, might be a good source of info for you. It’s just a good read in general… although I don’t follow much of what is written. It’s best to follow your own path, right?!