annoyed

hannahmariehannahmarie Raw Newbie

so today i was making raw tahini so that i could make some zucchini hummus and since i recently got a candy thermometer and am always curious about how hot the stuff i process gets i checked at the end. 125 degrees! i am so mad, how the hell am i expected to make raw nut butters?

do any of you take temperatures/what do you use to make nuts butters (i was using a food processor… maybe a vitamix does better)? i am thinking about going 100% raw again and nut butters are (almost) essential since i would rather eat a spoon full of that than a handful of nuts.

help!

Comments

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

Vita-Mix can get hot too. With the processor. Stop about half way through and let the food cool down,then start again. You may have to stop one more time.

• I wish someone could tell me exactly how they successfully make raw tahini. I tried to make it in a friends vita mix but it got too warm and was still grainy even though I added some olive oil. I tried to cool it in the freezer but I could never get it creamy. I need to know how much sesame seeds and anything else and how to blend. Can anybody help me?

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

most nuts aren’t raw anyway!

i’ve made tahini by grinding sesame seeds in coffee grinder – only take a couple of seconds and mixing it with raw oil. I have made that zucchini hummus recipe a lot and just put in ground sesame seeds instead of tahini, it always comes out lovely ;)

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

Zoe, after you mix your ground seeds with oil, do you process them more?

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

I do the same as Zoe but didn’t put in the oil. It is harder to get out of the coffee grinder tho. When using the blender and processor I also put in the whole seeds or nuts.

• hannahmariehannahmarie Raw Newbie

i will probably just learn to live without… i barely have enough patience to wait for the sesame seeds to turn into butter, much less turn it off and have another go later. and i really like it smooth and with the oil expelled, though i have done the “grinding” trick.

rosehebrew- i obviously don’t know how to make it at a low temp., but i always use sesame seeds only.

• Ok zoe I will try that. I don’t have a coffee grinder yet but I now have a new blend-tek coming. In the near future I will get a coffee grinder and try it that way. Wow I have been raw for 7 months and I still don’t have a grinder! geeesh!

• I wouldn’t use the Vita-Mix for nut butters and seed butters, typically. I would use a regular food processor. You can put your attachments in the freezer for about 10 min. before starting to chill them and chill your nuts or seeds.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i have found that the food processor does better with nuts and seeds because it has a broader base.

hey zoe, are hulled sesame seeds ok?

• How do I make a a nut butter in the food processor? I have yet to do this.