Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Severe Back Pain!!

As many of you know, I have been training over the past 3 months for my first triathlon (it’s on Sunday!). Today I am having severe back pain. I used to get similar pains when I was a competitive springboard diver but in those days I would just pop some advil and move on.

Any advice on natural anti-inflammatories? I’ve heard MSM and green leafy vegetables are good. The only thing I have been doing differently is eating a lot of flax seed crackers, could this have anything to do with it?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Reaserching the web, I found some info:

“Another possible source of irritation comes from the nightshade family of plants. Whole fruits and vegetables are important to eat for their vitamins, minerals, and natural antioxidants, however some vegetables like potatoes, tomatoes, and eggplant may actually make pain from inflammation worse. These vegetables are part of the nightshade family of plants and contain a chemical alkaloid called solanine. Solanine can trigger pain in some people. While there isn’t any formal research findings that back the claim about nightshade plants, you can avoid them for a few weeks to see if your pain and symptoms of inflammation improve.”

“The right types of fats in your diet will impact pain and inflammation in a positive way. Omega-3 essential fatty acids are very powerful antiinflammatory agents. They are found in cold water oily fish, walnuts, flax seeds, canola oil and pumpkin seeds. Adding omega-3 fatty acid supplements from flax oil or fish oil may also help reduce inflammation, just be sure to speak with a doctor or nutritionist before taking larger, therapeutic doses of any supplement, or follow label instructions.”

So maybe it’s not the flax seeds… I have been eating a lot of tomatoes recently, maybe I’ll cut back. Lots of info out there, just don’t know what the RIGHT info is!!

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

It is joint pain? I take MSM and I have no joint pain – although I didn’t have any pain before. My bf said it helped with his back and joints though. You could try the MSM lotion and rub it into your back when you do a back massage. The MSM is working wonders for my skin and hair. :)

• It’s not joint pain, it is actually reminants of a pinched nerve (sciatica) that I have had since I was a competitive athlete…

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

If it is remnants of pinched nerves, I suggest using arnica. It helps relieve pain and inflammation in soft tissues (muscles, nerves, etc.). Also, you could soak in a tub with epson or other mineral salts, and of course alternated hot and cold packs.

• If it’s a pinched nerve I would say go to a good chiropractor and get adjusted….with pinched nerves usually pain killers don’t do a whole lot to numb the pain…ginger I believe is an anti-inflammatory herb….and hot peppers and chammomile….I’ll post more when I remember them…

• Linda in the Raw,

First off, I love your avatar! Gorgeous representation of the chakras. :)

I have three herniated discs in my lower back, so I literally feel your pain, lady. My chiro has been a life saver. But in the meantime, I highly suggest Arnica. You can buy it as a homeopathic, under-the-tongue tablet, or as a cream. You can also use both at the same time. It’s pretty cheap (a thing of the Boiron tablets runs about $6), brings down swelling, bruising, and tissue trauma.

Stupid question, I know, but are you stretching? If you want some suggestions for yoga poses that will release your back muscles, I can help ya out. Also, do you have an exercise ball? Slowly rolling out on one of those is fantastic. Feel better!!!

• PamPam

I believe cherries are a natural pain reliever. I’m seen bags of organic cherries at Whole Foods recently. They also sell them frozen.

• Thanks everyone for your input! I think I will try some Arnica and see if that works.

RawVee, yes, I do stretch, a lot! I have an exercise ball that I use too. I would love to hear some of your great yoga poses!!

I was just adjusted on Saturday evening… This is all just frustrating because 1. My back has been feeling great for the last three months, and 2. My triathlon is on Sunday

I’m going to rest as much as I can and take your suggestions. I just made a huge green smoothie as I haven’t gotten as many greens this week as I normally do. I’ll keep you posted.

• GET SOME ” YUCCA ROOT ” EAT IT RAW AND/OR VITA MIX IT IT WORKS LIKE A CHARM !!!!!

• HI, Tumeric used in the eggless salad is supposed to be an ancient remedy for inflamatory pain. I have tried a supplement called gaba that has worked for me for pinched nerve pain. It’s gamma amino bytric acid. I have tried the yucca and think it works somewhat but need to get more to try. I’m not sure how much to take.