Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

soaking chickpeas to make hummus

Hi all, I’m a newbie and happy to find you! Wanting to make hummus with chickpeas(garbanzo). My question is, can I use the regular ones from my local health food store or do I need to buy a special variety for soaking/sprouting?

Comments

• I’ve used the kind from the bulk bin in my co-op for years.

Before that, I used the ones from bags in the Indian grocery.

It seems to be pretty tough to neuter a chick pea!

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

I was never more ill after soaking and attempting to sprout garbanzo beans. Be safe and make the bean-free Zucchini hummus on this site. Seriously. I was sick for 7 days!

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

featherbliss, chickpeas are almost always viable when bought dry at any store. No need to buy expensive, organic so-called “sprouting” chickpeas, unless you wish to have them.

Izhpt gives a good warning, though. A lot of people don’t handle uncooked legumes well.

• thanks for the advice. i luv hummus so much!

• greeniegreenie Raw Newbie

I made awful hummus with raw chick peas and then I found the key:

Soak them for a couple of days, and rinse them like crazy several times a day.

When I do that, the hummus is delicious and digestible.

The zucchini hummus is delicious too.

• can someone who is experienced at successful chickpea sprouting post their exact method? Im curious as to hours soaked, numbers of rinsings, temps (in fridge, out of fridge). I want to make a bean hummus, but im scared of messing up the sprouting. thanks!

• Beans are REALLY hard to mess up. Soak them overnight or for 12 hours or however long it ends up being. Put them in a colander so they’re easy to rinse. Rinse them at least twice a day, 3-4 times is better. Rinse them VERY well, like any sprout. Keep a plate or something over the colander so no dust or hair falls in. Put one under as well so your counter doesn’t get all nasty. Don’t put it in the sun or in a closet. The biggest dangers to sprouts are drying out and growing mold. They need to drink and breate and be clean and that is all they need. Good vibes from you help, such as excitement and gratitude. They’ll grow from 65F to probably 100F, faster when its warmer.

• Thanks Jenoz, I have been wondering how to sprout chicpeas, I love hommus and i have hears that you can make the best crackers from sprouted chick peas. regards frangipanni

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I will second what other people have said, make the zucchini hummus recipe it tastes so much better than sprouted chickpeas which always taste horribly bitter to me! If you try the chickpea version and it doesn’t taste good just give this recipe a go!

http://goneraw.com/recipes/9-Hummus

• ZanzibarrrZanzibarrr Raw Newbie

Hmm it looks absolutely gorgeous

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

I enjoy chickpea hummus if I sprout them to short tails, then I will blanch them in hot water. I add sesames, olive oil, garlic, lemon, cumin, garlic and sea salt and blend until smooth. The blanching helps take out the bitter taste.

• ZanzibarrrZanzibarrr Raw Newbie

yup garbanzos, Cayce was warning against them, highly acidic if I remember well.

• hehe lots of hummus luvvers out there… am going to try with chickpeas, and the courgette (zucchini) version as it is receiving so many accolades

• JoyceHJoyceH Raw Newbie

I highly recommend trying Ofek’s ‘Real Hummus’ recipe:

http://www.goneraw.com/recipes/2247-Real-Hummus

This is amazing and incredibly tasty! You use real garbonzo (chick peas). Buy the dry ones you find in the bulk section. They get soaked over night, rinsed the next morning and left to sprout during the day. Then that evening you make the hummus. So the garbonzo beans are only sprounted for about 10-12 hours.

This is a beautiful truly raw recipe that’s not hard to make and it doesn’t contain any strange/exotic hard to find ingredients.

I also like the fact that it uses soaked sesame sees instead of processed tahini from a jar that might not be raw. I’ve tried the zucchini hummus recipes with jarred tahini and find them bitter and a tad harsh tasting. Ofek’s recipe is a huge step above other raw hummus recipes I’ve tried in my humble opinion :-)