What are leafy greens?

Everyone says “be sure to eat lots of leafy greens” but what exactly are those? Salad? Baby spinach?

Comments

• Yes, spinach, as well as kale, swiss chard, collard greens, arugula, bok choy, dandelion greens, and mustard greens…...I like them chopped and marinated in a dressing of lemon and sea salt, or honey and apple cider vinegar. They are good in fruit smoothies too.

• “Leafy greens” covers a lot of ground. Yes, spinach and salad. But certain greens are more healthful than others. I’m sure you know iceberg lettuce is fairly empty of nutrients. Look for your darker greens – kale (my personal favorite), chard, collards, spinach, etc. For your salads, try mixing some bitters (arugula, watercress) with slightly lighter greens (butter lettuce, red or green leaf, romaine, endive) for great flavor and lots of nutrients. Basically, anything green except for green jello and green m&ms are going to do your body right.

• Spinach, kale, green leaf lettuce, frizee, edible weeds, swiss chard, broccoli, cabbage, celery, mache, carrot tops, beet tops, wheat grass. There are so many more but these just came to mind. You need to eat a variety though as you would would in nature for the best health benefits.

• ok, thanx. yum, marinated in lemon & sea salt, that sounds great!