Sad yet Touching: Gorilla in Mourning

MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

I am sure this article will appear macabre to some, but it illustrates that the qualities humankind often identifies as unique to our species really aren’t.

Gorilla refuses to let go of her dead baby

Bless her heart. She only feels this loss but doesn’t comprehend it in the way we do.

Comments

• Very touching!

• That is very touching and my heart goes out to her. I was unable to find the articles I remember but humans too often want to hold the child for a day or two while acceptance is setting in, it aids with the grief process. We may not be able to know just how she comprehends it, but she is dealing with it the same as we do, she is just not bound to our cultural constraints.

http://www.readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=92556

Blessings.

• So sad. First I read today that they might euthanize the lost baby whale that has been trying to suckle a yacht, and now this. I love all animals, but monkeys – especially gorillas with those giant eyes – just kill me. Who doesn’t want to be hugged by a gorilla?

I remember an old story about Koko, the first gorilla to learn America Sign Language. I do not know if it is true, but I like to believe it is. Allegedly, Koko had a baby and it died. Koko spent hours signing at the baby, “Baby give hug,” over and over again. (The reason I don’t know if this is true, is because I learned it from one of my favorite short stories, and a quite famous one, “The Cemetery Where Al Jolson is Buried,” by Amy Hempel. In the story, she tells lots of arcane facts, one of which is this story about Koko. From what I can tell, the other facts are indeed true, leading me to believe this is also a real story. But who knows)

Sorry, thanks for indulging my nonsene.

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

poor thing! im always amazed some people find it facinateing that animals feel…uh duh..or at least its a big duh to me…with my own little farm ive witnessed alot of “amazing” animal behavior that most people would only attribute to “advanced” species such as humans. I often wonder if the animal world is treating us like the poor misguided younger brother…are we the butt of jokes for our foolishness, maybe looked on with great pity…hmmm makes ya wonder doesnt it?