preserving corn? freezing?

beate64beate64 Raw Newbie

Hi there, we have lots of corn in our garden, half of which we picked and peeled. Usually we would blanch it briefly, cut off the kernels and then freeze. I tried before freezing the whole thing on a cob and it became kind of rubbery afterwards.

Did anyone try to cut the kernels off the raw cob and then freeze it? How did it turn out? Any other suggestions of doing it without cooking?

Thanks so much! :))

Comments

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Cut the whole kernels off, dehydrate and vacuum seal in canning jars… No freezing needed… Always ready.. Good luck!!!

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Sweet! I just bought some corn at a farmers market – good timing. :) I make raw corn tortillas: fresh corn & seasonings blended in the food processor, then add a little flax to help it stick together. Spread out on teflex or parchment paper & dehydrate. Store in Ziploc type bags in the freezer. Sorry I don’t remember more specifics, but it was good even after being in the freezer for a year, and it was WONDERFUL to have in the winter time.

• Waterbaby, how long do you dehydrate for?

• beate64beate64 Raw Newbie

Hey, both suggestions sound good, thanks! :)) I will do either of them, but also might have to do some freezing… we do have approx. 2 wheel barrels full of corn, and it is ripe… so even my 9 tray wont be able to keep up with that ;))

But I will for sure make some of those recipes and I look forward to taste the tortillas!

• I’m gonna try to make those tortillas Angie.