I'm new to this, like 20 min ago

Hi…Dolly here, and ready 4 change. I’ve been giving a strictly vegetarian diet a lot of thought these past months, and still wondering what sort of effects it could have on someone with IBS (irritable bowel syndrome. Yech!) Anyone?

I do love vegetables, but never ate them raw much. This is all totally new to me, so I’m just a beginner, looking for good recipes and maybe a little advice as I go along.

No dairy products? What about breads? To each his own/up to the individual? I still wouldn’t mind hearing some pros and cons if anyone cares to offer them. Just left one site where it is strictly raw veggie dishes, drinks, etc, and no dairy or eggs. Didn’t notice anything about breads. I never did eat much bread, rarely ever eat an egg, or even much in the dairy products so I should be able to adjust okay, but now and then, I love a little cottage cheese, ice cream and an occasional chocolate milk!

Okay…it’s a start. (: Thanks

Dolly

Comments

• chicorychicory Raw Newbie

I have always had terrible IBS with diarrhea. When i ate raw veggies, it would always irritate me, but within 3 weeks of going raw I don’t get the intestinal pain or issues. I never thought I would be able to eat raw fruit and veggies without a starch beforehand

• SuzicalSuzical Raw Newbie

I have had digestive issues, but don’t think they have achieved the level of outright IBS.

That being said, I would check out, research and incorporate green smoothies into your diet as a good jumping off point.

There are wonderful recipes on this site. I have been drinking one or two a day and my digestive tract is calm, smooth and working well – no matter what else I eat.

• Welcome! I started my path here with a diagnosis of severe IBS and was on 6 different meds. That was in 2005, now im totally off meds and have been for a long time and am 50 lbs lighter.

The number one thing that helped me was green smoothies. Check out Victoria Boutenko’s “Green for life”. If raw veggies upset your stomach in any way its ok to steam/blanch them. Theyre easier to digest this way, esp if your stomach is touchy. Once your body gets more used to the amount of greens and veggies coming in it will start to handle them better. Salad for me used to be an express trip to the ladies room but now i eat greens by the bushel i swear.

Dairy does horrific things to your body- look up some recipes for nut, sesame, or hemp milk on this site. If you dont want to make it yourself right away I like living harvest hemp milk or blue diamond almond milk (unsweetened). Raw vegans stay away from bread b/c of the yeast, but there are lots of ways to make raw breads. If you miss it too much try the Ezekiel breads (in the freezer section at your health food store).

Hope that helps. Welcome to raw- i think you’ll love it here :)

• Hi and thank you, Chicory, Suzical and Bubbaw. All sounds pretty convincing and encouraging. I have wondered why a little blanching, at least, would be a problem with the nutritional value in the veggies, etc., although I’m now thinking…DUH! since they say all the real mineral and vitamin content is found closest to the skin. Awwwww…no Biscuits? LOL I was reared up on rich and spicy Southern cooking. I also live waaaaay out in the countryside of the boonies, and the closest towns are one horse…a health food store is an unknown here. So looks like I’ll be making a few trips to get to the nearest larger town, (civilization?) to find one. But been meaning to anyhow, since I’m looking for other items. Will need to purchase a juicer and a smoothie maker. And now, I just have to get past all the resistance and ridicule from my partner, since he’s one of those meat and potatoes country boys from down home on the farm. LOL That is going to present a big problem. Cooking him a roast and me eating spinach and bean sprouts? <<sigh>> This is super to hear…. I may be one of those fortunate ones like you guys who suffers little or no bowel probs when introducing the raw diet…that’s real encouraging. I am so anxious to try some recipes. Next questions…can we use vineger, and does this mean no more salad dressing for cole slaw? I think I know better…already trying to get you to say yes. LOL okay….thanks again, gals, and…

Thanks for the welcome. (:

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

Hey ready4change! The thread title cracked me up. haha

I can relate with having a significant other who loves the meat. I cook for my husband and make my raw meals for myself. I enjoy cooking alot so I”m glad I still get to. It can be hard at times but after making him a massive pizza with all the best toppings and still managing to be satisfied with my own meal I realized I could do ANYTHING.

I also had some really awful digestive tract issues and seriously, I havent’ had a single problem since I went raw. It is amazing. I’ve been looking for two years to find something that would help and it’s so simple! Good luck. I really hope everything works out for you!

• Hi troubles (are) justbubbles…and that’s true, if we have the right attitude, huh? (: Always great to have more testimonals regarding the digestive issues. This problem does dictate my life. Were soon taking our vacation. I dread those long drives. (14 hrs) To eat or not to eat becomes the question. You just never know. I take no medications for this. Don’t like medicine! I just try to manage. I’m hoping that this diet will work for me. I cant lose too much weight since I’m always too thin. Hoping to find recipes that will keep my pounds on. Most gals are thrilled with the weight loss when on the raw foods, but then I always have to be different. LOL Apparently, eating raw must be far healthier for us, if it can bring so many positive effects. I’m looking for books to read up. I am just now getting started, and will look at lots of inviting recipes so I’ll have a good list for those things that I’ll need to stock up on. It seems it’ll just be a matter of adjusting, As for Hubby, I’m hoping I might gradually hook him…he’s a diabetic who never eats right. Thanks so much for the encouragement. Best to you!

• Welcome!! I too have IBS. The constipation followed by a horrid loose bm just to be constipated again. Ugh, really sometimes the cycle felt like a never ending nightmare. I used to get severe cramps and intestinal spasms that were absolutely unbearable where I could not stand up straight and my stomach would get extremely bloated to the point where I couldn’t even button my jeans. I learned that when I ate a raw vegan diet without any nuts or dried fruit I do fine. I have been on and off raw since ‘05, but when I slip off, my IBS is triggered.

I learned that I have to be consistent with the raw lifestyle and it’s really not that hard to stay true to myself. The memory of cooked food can lure me in sometimes, but then the memory of IBS wards me away! The first few weeks can be hard, but they don’t have to be. As long as your open to the change and are willing to adapt to it, you’ll do fine. Good luck.