Crumbly onion bread?

DreaDrea Raw Master

Help from someone would be greatly appreciated. I’m trying to make onion bread for the first time and it’s coming out “crumbly”, it’s not really sticking together. The edges were really falling apart before the bread was done dehydrating.

Im doing the basic recipe, flax, onions, nama shoyu, olive oil, sunflower seeds, help!

Comments

• beate64beate64 Raw Newbie

Hmm, thats strange… and I understand your frustration… I tried it a few days ago and made it yesterday again. As I have so many zucchini right now I mixed the recipe and had only part of the onions requested.

Thats what I did: 2 1/2 pounds of onions or whatever, processed in small pieces, (if it is something watery like zucchini, then press through cheesecloth until dry), each 1 cup sunflower seeds and flax seeds ground up fine, I mixed the olive oil and nama shoyu with the ground up seeds first (as someone suggested) and then added the onion/zucchini mixture and mixed and kneeded it with my hands to a nice mash.

Then I divided the mixture (I quadrupled the recipe) equally on my sheets (you can use parchment paper also), and put it into the dehydrator (2 – 3 hours on 140 F and then turned down to 105 F for the rest, after 4 to 5 hours you can test if you can flip the bread, and then dehydrate until it has your desired consistence). Ann Wigmore suggested to turn up the heat the first few hours especially when dehydrating food with a lot of water content. It takes a while until the temperature is up and because of the moisture and circulation it wont affect the enzymes.

Anyway, this was also my first attempt a few days ago. The first bread is still in the fridge and lesser dense then the one I took out today which was quite dry, I cut it and put it in the freezer.

Mashing everything nicely together should do it, and the ground up flax will help hold it together.

I wish you good luck! :))

• DreaDrea Raw Master

i thought it was that simple but thats what i did minus the zucchini. can it be to much olive oil? is this normally an oily bread? anyone else have this problem?

• beate64beate64 Raw Newbie

Hmm, sorry dreasraw, I am out of ideas on this one… dont know… it should work with lesser olive oil too, and oil usually doesnt make this crumble but smooth as I think… I really dont know what could be the problem… maybe someone else has an idea??

• i usually increase the amount of dry ingredients to onion. my recipe is usually:

1.25 c ground flax 1.25 c sunflower seeds, ground 2 medium onions 1/4 c olive oil 1/3 c tamari

that gives you more gunk for the onion. also, make sure you mix it together really well with your hands before you spread it. the flax needs to get nice and wet for it to get goopy. usually i mix for 5 minutes and massage to break down the onion a bit.

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

i mix another veggie pulp in to it, like grated carrot or jicama…

• DreaDrea Raw Master

thanks everyone! i’m going to try the variations and see what happens. I’ll keep you posted!

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

I’m making this right now! Are you using Matt Amsden’s recipe from RAWvolution? I’ve made it many times with no problem other than the fact that he says 2 onions, so depending on the size of the onions I ended up with more bread or less. Too much onion could cause it to fall apart, as lalala said, cause then you have more onion than glue, I usually just make it thicker if this happens.

• DreaDrea Raw Master

yeah, im using Matt Amsden’s recipe. Could it be im not dehydrating it long enough? I leave it for 12 hours then i flip it.

• Dresaraw….oh man, I feel ya! I keep having the same problem!

what I have read is make sure your onion pcs are small enough. If the onions give off too much juice squeeze it out in a nut bag or cheese cloth. I’m gonna try to up the flax seeds, cause that is what seems to stick together so well.

Good luck and keep me posted.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Frankly I don’t see how this is such a bad thing unless you have guests over or something. :)

I used to make lots of onion bread and it always came out crumbly, but that’s okay coz I usually picked at the sheets when everything was gone. But that was before my Excalibur dehydrator came. I think it largely has to do with the type of drying sheet you use, as teflex would probably stick better. If you’re using mesh then it might be more crumbly.

It also has to do with how much water you add. I discovered more water produces a more crumbly cracker.

• it’s a bad thing for me cuz I wanna make a sandwich real bad!

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

You say the edges are falling apart. If the edges are to dry, than you may be expecting the bread to be of a different texture. The inside of the bread should be slightly chewy and a bit moist. lalala is right about getting the flax wet. If you don’t there wont be any holding power. I really dont think to much water would be the problem, as the bread is dehydrated the moisture will evaporate, and the moisture would be good for the flax.

By the way I slice the onion rings in fourths and I use half the amount of onions Matt Amsden uses.

• DreaDrea Raw Master

I’m going to try the suggestions, maybe I’ll get it right on the 2nd try.