Cutting Boards and glue

steviostevio Raw Newbie

I am shopping for a new cutting board, and have been leaning towards bamboo, but these cutting boards, as well as the hardwood boards, are all laminated together with glue. Anyone have any thoughts about this?

Also, after shopping around and not finding exactly what I am looking for, I decided perhaps I would make my own (I am a wood working hobbyist). My research led me to Titebond II, which is FDA approved for cutting board construction, but I am wondering if there is anyone who has given any serious thought or research to this issue.

I realize the amount of glue (and wood or bamboo for that matter) that would end up in the food is probably negligible compared to the toxins we take in daily, but none the less, I thought I’d ask.

Comments

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

How about buying a one by twelve by ten or twelve??? The one I have used for years is just a piece of wood that I had in my woodshop, it is 1×10x12 that I sanded smooth… Works wonderful, no glue, no polyurethyne (sp) or any other bad stuff_... LOL

• steviostevio Raw Newbie

I appreciate the suggestion, but I prefer a cutting board with the end grain on the cutting surface. It keeps the knives sharper longer, and I LOVE sharpe knives as much as I HATE sharpening them. The only way to get an end grain cutting surface is with glue.

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Interesting concept…. Must say in the past 30 plus years, just haven’t had a problem with my board causing sharpening problems for my knives…

Hope you are able to find what you need!!!

• if you like end grain cutting boards a great option is to find a slice of a log or get a friend with a chainsaw to cut you a thin one. Then just sand it down a bit.

james

• steviostevio Raw Newbie

How do you keep them from falling apart? A thin slice of log will crack and check as it dries and become very brittle and not stand up to chopping.