On Being Orange

Okay, for the first few months it was funny that I was “turning orange”, presumably from eating too many carrots. Admittedly it’s still kind of funny, but now I’m starting to get worried as well. My palms are so orange in comparison to the pink ones my friends possess. There is an orange hue around my mouth in pictures, even after I’ve washed my face. It’s in my skin! I’ve noticed this effect in other raw foodist’s pictures, but I don’t think I can pull it off.

I’ve read it’s not just carrots that will turn you orange, but any yellow/orange fruit or vegetable, plus anything else beta-carotene-rich like tomatoes and dark leafy greens. I eat these foods all the time so it seems unavoidable that I will get more than my quota of beta carotene. Is it dangerous to be perpetually orange? Is there a way to avoid overdoing it with the beta carotene on a primarily raw diet?

Comments

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

I too had the same color and fears as you in the beginning… I now don’t see the orange color but know I have plenty of antioxandants and am rich in beta carotene because I don’t burn out in the sun… I have been picking tons of fresh fruits and veges for hours at a time and have yet to turn red so I also have the knowlege that my vit D is in good standing… I don’t know but believe it is NOT dangerous to be orange or to have an over abundance of beta carotene,,,

• I was the same at the beginning! It is just from your liver detoxing! so don’t worry it will go away!

• I turned myself bright orange while in college (not raw, I just like salads…for breakfast lunch and dinner); orange palms, feet, and cheeks. Ended up going to the doctor and getting a blood test; from the doctor: there is absolutely nothing wrong with you, just more beta carotene than can be flushed out of your body. No adverse effects other than being orange. It eventually went away but it took at least 6 months.

• chicorychicory Raw Newbie

just make sure it isn’t jaundice!!! If indeed it is from a high intake of vitamin A, then your bowel movements will be almost black. My doctor and I talked about this a week ago. If that isn’t so, I would get your liver levels checked. hepatitis can also make the skin turn color

• I thought I’d give an all of you an update and say that I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. One of the symptoms of that is “yellowing of the skin due to impaired conversion of beta-carotene to vitamin A”, so that explains the orangeness.