Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Sal Anthony's Raw Restaurant NYC

Virtually across the street from pure food (my boyfriend and i had dinner there) we found a new little cafe type place. Juice bar, smoothies and food – all of which incredibly reasonably priced. the two us ate for $17, and took some stuff for later for $15!!

ex: Dagwood sunburger – 5.50, Raw homemade granola with almond milk – 5.00, nori roll – 2.50, i could go on, i am so excited and pleased with this place. and the owner is fantastic!

The menu is nowhere near extensive but great!!

the address is 119 E.17th Street (between Irving and Park Ave. S.)

open 7 days 9:00-22:00 :)

Comments

• Wow, is this place new? Im always at Pure Food/Pure Juice which is pricey, as you know.

How was the food?

Im going to check it out soon!

• i went on friday. price was reasonable. i got a veggie burger and house salad for $13. the downside is that things are pre-made and not freshly made. so they are sitting around wrapped up on the counter or in the fridge for a while. decent quality. would definitely visit again.

• Thanks CanarsieBK, sounds reasonable!

• so jealous of you nyc folk!! i wanna visit!! i have a long-standing crush on sarma :)

• i have to admit. i have a crush on sarma too.

yea the food at that sal and anthony’s spot is quick, which is very rare for this type of place, but you can tell that it’s not fresh. as long as you aren’t expecting a freshly made meal, you won’t be disappointed. the convenience of having it ready now (b/c we are such a now, now, now society) is a reason for me to go again.

• Thanks Canarsie, definitely going to give Sal’s a try.

• I am a HUGE fan of this place. At work I sit and daydream about the pesto mushroom pizza. $5 for a sunburger! It’s like raw food fast food. Desserts too. Awesome. The store is half florist/half cafe so there is always a casual, friendly vibe. Plus, if you go the right day (Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat), you’ll catch the Union Square Greenmarket right next door!

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

oooh ya’ll make me so jealous! i’m way out here in upstate new york, pining after the goodies that are only hours away. instead i’m stuck with u-pick organic veggies from local farms. Cruel world : )

i haven’t tried sal’s or pure food. last time i was in nyc i ate at Quintessence – 3 times in 20 hours! hehehe.

• Pizza? Ok Im so there…

• i stopped in there again and got a canelone. it was ok.

the biggest lures about the place are the quickness and price…wait that also sound like the lure of mcdonalds or pizza hut!!!? but like i said earlier for the price, you can’t really beat it. it’s def not the quality of pure or some of the other restaurants, but it’s own niche.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

I’m going to NYC on the 20th…I just may have to check out this place.

• Branwyn32Branwyn32 Raw Newbie

I’m so jealous! I lived in NYC for 6 years and I knew nothing of raw foodism. Next time I go up, I’m totally there!

• moth…def check it out if you get the chance. would make hitting up some of the other spots a higher priority, but if you’re in the area and need something quick…go for it.

• They’ve begun making food to order, and expanding their menu. I absolutely love this place! I am there almost every day (between work and class), no convoluted recipes and not heavy on the nuts. I can easily bring food from home but i would much rather support them.

• Ooh, thanks. Going to have to check this one out. :)

• samwinchestersamwinchester Raw Newbie
    edited June 2022

I've been to this cafe, the prices are really reasonable and the atmosphere is quite cozy. I wish there were more places like that in NY! I`m a fan of smoothies, so I tried a few there and liked them all so far. I don't cook at home much due to lack of time and I don't have kids yet, so it makes things easier=) I often spend my lunch break at https://tapatoro.restaurant/restaurant/, where I can get a hearty meal. I eat dinner at some vegan cafes, since that's where you can find super tasty, light and inexpensive salads. Still, I hope someday I`ll finally start cooking!

ClaireT