Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw Foodies in UK

clr-1976clr-1976 Raw Newbie

I keep reading about ‘raw pot-luck’s’ (which I think is like a bring your own dish gathering – but could be wrong..!) and the like from our US friends and cant help thinking that we are missing out in the UK.

I’m really keen to meet more like-minded (& life-styled ie Raw) people here and do some social stuff like that too if a possibility. I’‘d love to do retreats and things but that costs money & needs time off work, not everything has to though!

I know it doesnt mean there’ll be loads of people on my doorstep but would like to make more friends!

Where are you all, you UK Raw-ies?? I’m in Aylesbury in Bucks, anyone else out there?

Comments

• Spooky! I’m new and I’m an Aylesbury duck too :-) I’ve lived in the area all my life, and have never met another ‘raw person’ face to face, that I know of :)

I’m very new to raw foods, so you might not trust my raw ‘cooking’ in a pot luck just yet, but I’m happy to chat and swap information. We could also make a joint mail order on a few things and share the postage (and a few things are cheaper in bulk too)

(Ps. Love your avatar, what a cute kitty) :)

• clr-1976clr-1976 Raw Newbie

Hey MsDerious, what a great name, Nice to meet you!

Your suggestion sounds great!

Whereabouts in Ayles are you?

Was I right in the ‘pot-luck’ description then? It was kindof a guess but I couldnt imagine what else it could be!

Thats Sammy in my pic, he’s so smiley, he was purring away and kissing the pillow when I took that..

Do you know, its funny, you said ‘never met another raw person face to face’ and, thinking about it, neither have I, what a weird cyberworld we live in!

There must be some more of us out there..

• Hey hey :)

I live fairly near Ellen Road, on the Oxford side of town.

Yep, you are right on potlock. I was guessing too. I checked Wikipedia, so there is always a chance it’s not accurate ;) Those things have always kind of put me off as a long time veggie as I’ve never been keen on other peoples idea of what vegetarian means (i.e. if it’s not actually a steak, its vegetarian) so I’ve never felt relaxed in going to one.

Do you ever go to the grocers down Pebble Lane (off of Kingsbury)? They sell things like coconut oil that can be hard to get in the supermarkets. I use them a lot for Indian herbs for making my own hair and skin care products, but they also stock many less usual foods :)

Sammy is very handsome…. I would make an introduction to one of my three lady cats, but since they are all over 13 and neutered they might not be that interested :-D

I haven’t been to that grocers.. Which one’s pebble lane & Whats it called? (sorry, lots of questions!) There’s a health food shop I discovered recently up by the noodle bar (or whatever it is now..) they stock agave & stuff, picked up a few bits and bobs, also worth investigating..

I’m in FF Leys so not far at all! Also, Sammy sadly lives with my ex, I was looking after him whilst he was away when I took the pic, and has no ‘bits’ either so no worries there! Would love some pets but work such long hours I figure it wouldnt be fair… :-(

How are you finding ‘raw’ so far?

• Pebble Lane is the road that leads up from Kingsbury (Where the fountains are) into the church. As you are standing looking from the two centre, its the left hand side. It’s an odd store, they always have unusual fruits outside, and inside dry foods you don’t see elsewhere. Lots of stuff by companies like fudco etc. They stock large bags of raw cashews quite often.

I can’t remember the name of that health store near the noodle bar, but they have some good stock, if a little expensive. The Julian Graves is cheap for some stuff, if i think, sometimes a little processed for my liking. The larger of the two Tesco (on the Bicester Road), has a good selection of nuts etc. Notably, the two Tesco carry different bands of nuts, the cheaper ones being at the Bicester Road store. I’m not so fond of supermarkets, but full time jobs in the middle of nowhere limit ones options!

So far, I’m really enjoying raw food… I need to find some way of cramming a little more protein in while cutting back on the nuts as I’m eating more fats than I like. I had my first ‘Oooh, I don’t like that’ meal last night (it was a soup and it just didn’t work for me) but I think I’ll find it easier when I buy a more powerful blender, a dehydrator and a spiral cutter (for noodle goodness). I know I have a tendency to throw myself at things and then give up when I fail, so I’m trying to buy things one bit at a time. I’m starting to feel healthier already… and putting a little fat back on in a healthy way. My belly isn’t popping out like it did when I was eating wheat/processed foods, but my ribcage is looking a little less scary bony :)

The other ladies in my office are starting to get jealous of all the nice desserts/snacks I bring in each day to increase the nutritional load of my daily salad. Already one of them has poked her head round the door to find out what I’ve got for my elevenses (like it’s going to make it to eleven!) and was dismayed to find I didn’t bring in enough raw ‘fudge’ for everyone!

I want to try to make a new dish at least every other day. It think keeping the variety will be the key to keeping interested and being healthy.

• springleafspringleaf Raw Newbie

Hi Ms Derious and clr-1976, I to am in the uk, in the south, I won’t be able to come to any pot lucks or things like that but is always nice to know who the other uk raw fooders are on this site! I too find that a good way to make people happy with the raw idea is to feed them! raw snaks have to guarded closely if you only have enough for yourself!

Here here!! I get the feeling that raw is much bigger in the US, or is it just that the US is much bigger!??

Its great to hear from you :-)

Not sure as to the answer for the US bigger or more raw foodist question… maybe both! anyway its nice to know that all around the world are people eating raw :-)

• I think it’s a bit of both.

Well, so far thats Clr-1976, Springleaf, Zoe and me in the UK… I hope that’s not all of us ;-)

I think I’ve seen a UK raw forum somewhere, maybe a Yahoo group, but I don’t think it was very active.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

There was a UK Yahoo group but it is suspended at the moment. I think it was quite active. There is a UK group on www.giveittomeraw.com started by my husband Chris.

We started out Potluck in January, we now get about 20-30 people every month. It is the best thing ever. We all bring something we get the most amazing food. Raw cheesecake, raw samosas, tortillas, everything and anything. Then we all sit in a circle and chat about stuff and we have a theme every month when someone gives a 15 min talk. The people who come do all kinds of amazing things so the little talks go down really well, it is so interesting.

You should just start a Potluck and you just never know, there may be dozens of fellow rawies living near you. Post the an email on the forums so people can contact you for the address and do it every month without fail and it will grow. You just have no idea how lovely it is to meet other people in the flesh who are doing this too!

Me and Chris thought we were the ‘only ones’, but we have met so many people who are raw who live nearby. We all thought we were the only ones!

Thanks for the inspiration Zoe!

I checked out your events on purelyraw and saw you had them, bit too far to travel or I’d love to gatecrash!

I’ll check out that UK group you mentioned – thanks.

P.S Feel free to call me Claire if you see me on here (name was taken..)

So, Ms Derious, fancy starting a potluck sometime in the future (when you’re happy with un-cooking. :0) ??

• FeeFee Raw Master

Hi. Im in the UK too, but the North nearish to Chris and Zoe (the same side of the country at least!). I think it must be easier being raw in raw climates though – its so easy to want nice warm chips or jacket potato when its raining (which it does frequently in Lancashire).

The rest of my family live in Newbury, Berkshire which isn’t too far from Aylesbury so maybe if you have a potluck and Im visiting them I could come too.

Hi Fee, definitely! Newburys not too far at all.

And here here on the crappy weather and climate thing, glad its not just me. At least it hasnt rained today – yet, but I have a mad craving for fish & chips.

Its been around for a few days and I havent caved yet, and I’m not going to but god, cant stop thinking about them.. think I must be hungry and its time to make (raw) dinner..

• Newbury’s more than doable :)

I’m thinking, if the weather is nice next time you are visting, Raw Picnic :)

Good Plan, Fee – Any plans to visit? :o)

Ms Derious – I found that grocery store today, I would have had no idea about that little jem, lots of really interesting stuff, thanks!

FYI incase you’re interested too – I’ve asked the man in the shop (he’s so funny) about young coconuts and he says he gets the green ones but is going to find out about the pre-prepped pointed ones (soo much easier, broke one of our good knive on a green one, oops..) he said if he can he’ll get some and they’ll be in on Thurs, so I said I’b be able to come back on Sat.

I hope he can – I’ve been getting them in chinatown and lugging them back on the tube & train (bought 9 last time- am I crazy??) have been trying to find a local supplier..

• FeeFee Raw Master

I don’t know when I’ll next be down, I was down there at the begining of the month! It won’t be until October half term at least if then as my Mum said they might come up to see me. But I will certainly bear a visit in mind for next time I venture south.

Im impressed that you didn’t give into your craving for fish and chips – I gave into day and had chips and mushy peas. I felt pretty rotten after so it serves me right! I had a lovely tea of salad and onion bread and felt much better. Ithink Im just trying to ‘treat’ myself before going back to work (school) on Monday, after 7 weeks holiday I don’t want to go back to work!! WHy I didn’t just crack open my coconut and make some form of scrummy chocolate concoction I don’t know.

MsDerious – a raw picnic sounds a great idea, a mobile potluck almost!

Bye for now

Oh man, chips and mushy peas..

But I just know that I would feel crap, as you said you did..

Hopefully we might see you next time you venture,. I keep looking at the cake/pie recipes and need a gathering to make them for.. there’s too much for me, had to freeze half my torte but hey thats more for me in the future right?

Ms Derious – How’s it going with your dehydrator?

Hi uk people! My boyfriend went away for seven days this morning on a work do, boo-hoo… But on a positive note it means I can eat raw for my evening meal too. I will be sprouting

sunflower seeds tonight for seed cheese and doing a big grocery shop for all nice things to make for my dinners, am sitting here at work planning a menu for the week and making myself hungry! Hi clr-76, I have had good success in the past with halving or quatering cake/torte type recipes, also another thought which has just come to me is that if you got some of those ceramic ramekins (sp?) then you could freeze individual portions into them and defrost one at a time.

Hey Springleaf!

Ramekins! what a good idea! I like the look of that peachy cream pie that was on here recently – wonder if I can do that like that?? Havent tried yet..

My BF’s going away on Fri for a week so I know what you mean, also, check it out – he’s trying raw with me this week before he goes! Amazing, he’s through day 1 (yeah ok, only day 1..) with no probs at all! We’re talking 6,4”protein shake loving, gym going semi-pro rugby player here so I’m very privileged!

At the mo I’ve kindof been leaving him to fend for himself in the eve’s so he’s slowly learning.. Perhaps one of the reasons why he’s trying raw for the week is because I’m now making him breakfast, lunch to take to work & dinner!! ;o)

How did the grocery shop go?

Hi clr76! The grocery shop went quite well, got everything for last night, but will need to go again tonight, but I don’t mind. Last night I made the cauliflower, green popcorn that was on here a few days ago and alissa cohens stuffed tomatoes. Yum. Funny with BF’s isn’t it? mine moans about raw food but will happily eat a raw pud if one is put in front of him. He also eats a mainly raw salad for lunch with no prob’s provided I make it for him! That peachy pie you mention looks good I like peaches a lot and also nutmeg, wonder what they taste like together, I guess more ingredients to buy tonight ;-)

Oh also am going to try Z&C’s seed cheese tonight and have just read your opst saying you had to use more oil as you sprouted you seeds, well mine will be sprouted too, so thank you for the heads up! hopefully mine will be a sucess too.

• Still waiting for the dehydrator to turn up! However, they did take payment on Friday, so I hope that means it’s been dispatched :)

Have fallen marginally off the raw wagon over the weekend, but stuck to vegan, so not to bad. Problem is I’m trying to avoid too many nuts… which is hard because I’m not used to eating such a huge volume of food in order to get enough cals. I think the secret is puddings (and snacks) admittedly these tend to have a lot of dried fruits and nuts in… but I’m going to pretend they don’t… makes me feel better ;)

I am eating more diverse foods now… it’s nice. I haven’t eaten the same evening meal twice in at least 3 weeks :) The other thing is… because I don’t need to worry about cooking times, I’m getting a lot more experimental with things. If I’ve got left overs, I’ll bung them in with something else and bam I have a meal. E.g. I had some left over marinade for some nuts… added a little oil, Yay, salad dressing! Some brownie crumbles…spiked over apples blender with raisins, topped with macadamia cream… dessert!

Have either of you got any recommendations for on-line shops that are especially good/cheap for raw ingredients? I get slightly annoyed at the postage on a lot of them. I know it can be expensive, but my Husband worked in the mail order business for 14 years… a lot of time the rates are exorbitant. When postage is £5 and all you are buying is 100G of something it’s taking the wee a little. That’s not post office rates!

Clair (or is it Clare or Claire?) – The smaller Tesco (Tring road) has pointed coconuts in now and then… they are about £1.50.. not sure how much you are paying. The one on the Bicestor Road never has them in.

Hey MsDerious! Have been meaning to look into the rates and such for raw delivery shops for a while now… from my very small investigations funky raw are cheeper than detox your world for some ingredients. I have never ordered from they though. I have ordered stuff from detox you world and total raw food and both turned up fast and in good condition, DYW also had some freebies in (bars with only a few weeks left before the best before). My feeling is to take into account the cost of the items you want as well as postage cus it can make a huge difference.

I find quite oftern that when I make a raw food meal, the main course is low in cal’s and protein but high in bulk and vitamins and the protein and cal’s are to be found in the pudding bit, have you found similar?

Aghh! Gave in to the chips and mushy peas!!

• Don’t tell anyone… but I had Tacos the other night. Vegan ones… but certainly not raw.

Yep. I think at least 1/2 of my cals and protein are coming from puddings. Sweet, yummy, coco laced puddings. :-D

Quite funny then, that I am sitting here, feeling a bit unwell, cus I don’t think last nights raw dinner agreeded with me, and considering going to get a sandwhich to see if that helps!

Oh my are’t we naughty! I did feel bad afterwards though..

P.S – MsD – It’s Claire

• UK – Home of raw fail ;-)

If you are feeling a bit rough, some ginger or peppermint or ginger in hot water will help.

My think that seems to be helping with the ‘not feeling rough’ element is avoid eating too much fruit too close to any veg based meal (Eg, don’t have an apple after a courgette pasta in ‘Cheeze’ sauce meal) and if it’s tough to chew, it’s probably going to have a lot of fibre in it and therefore it’s not going to hang about in the digestive system. (See, I can be subtle) so I’ve started peeling some things that have tough skins, like Aubergine and apples if I feel like I’ll have had enough fibre that day.

Also, I’m trying to give into a little temptation now any then. If I think ‘Cor, I’d love a choccy bar about now’ I’ll have a bit of fruit instead, but topped with chocolate sauce (Recipe on this site) which is made with coco powder and agave syrup or honey. It makes me feel like I’ve eaten what I wanted, without feeling like c**p after!

Ps- It’s Caroline :O)

My problem is not “speed of exit” but more that I feel sick/nauseous after eating, Had zoes seed cheese nori roll ups (1/2 a nori sheet) and an avo in the other half. Just felt like it was swishing round in my tummy :-( Maybe to much fat at once. had green cauliflower popcorn and a gree smoothie about an hour before that though? Any thoughts?