Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

so, what do you do?

...for employment? I am seeking a new career/job as I am unsatisfied with my current job in property management. I want to help people! I need some inspiration.

What do you do for work? Do you enjoy it? How did you get trained?

Thanks in advance…..I am getting frustrated, oh so frustrated.

Comments

• chicorychicory Raw Newbie

i am a sculptor… i make tiny little fairies and sell them online and at doll shows. I also teach classical guitar. I love my work, but alas I am so broke! To get affordable health insurance I put in a few hours at a bookstore, which helps. I totally understand your frustration though. I would rather be broke and sculpt all day then be well off at a job that makes my blood pressure go crazy though :)

• jellibijellibi Raw Newbie

heathermarsbomb, I’m an art student… but as soon as I graduate this spring I plan on doing art with all sorts of people (hospice care, prisons, schools, hospitals, retirement homes)... and then I want to write about my experiences. Yay!!!! I’m very excited.

what type of work do you dream of doing (if you could do anything that you wanted to???) How do you want to help people?

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I work as a secretary. I would like to work as an animal caregiver. (Trainer, animal technician, etc). To do this, you need animal experience – either through working at an entry level animal job, or by getting a bachelors in animal science (what i’m doing) OR by going to school for a 2 year animal technician degree.

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

I’m an administrative assistant. I guess you could say I help people…...at least the ones in my department. ha

• clr-1976clr-1976 Raw Newbie

I’m a Management Trainer & Coach. With regards to training, its been more of a journey & taing advantage of opportunities when they arose, to get here. It all began with being Air Cabin Crew.. But am now qualified too. Commute a couple of hours each way to Central London each day.

Would really love to do Karen Knowlers Raw Food Coaching and start to work with people 1-2-1 and of course that means working for myself which would be fantastic.

Am a trained holistic therapist and would like to incorporate that in with the above too. But unless I work for myself it pays a pittance.

Would love to have enough time to volunteer for animals or something too but just dont have the time (apart from now, am off after an op, but back next week). I leave at 7am and get back at 7.30pm at the earliest.

Ho hum, Chicory, your final words make me think…

• DreaDrea Raw Master

I am own a couple of wellness centers. And I travel and do shows locally and sometimes abroad. If you want to help people, it’s pretty easy! Just self search at what you are good at that will be a benefit to others and market it. Start small and I promise you that if your intentions stay pure you will grow quickly! Oh…and you will make good money to(smile)!

• clr-1976clr-1976 Raw Newbie

dreasraw – What exactly does a wellness centre do? I think it might be exactly as it says on the tin but specifically? Sounds great!

• DreaDrea Raw Master

Well, I should have been more specific as there are allot of different wellness centers. I have a few centers that offers informational products on wellness, spirituality, health etc. (some controversial info also) The stores also carry incense, essential oils and so forth.

I also have different speakers come down from time to time and speak on different issues. I would love to team up with someone in my town and do a raw vegan cafe, that would be great!

clr-1976, working with animals sounds great! That’s something I would love to do also.

• I’m right there with you! I used to be a preschool teacher by day, and ran my online jewelry business at night, with occasional art shows on weekends! Last year I decided it was time to focus on my biz full-time, and it was going well… until the price of oil and the mortgage crisis has wreaked havoc on the economy!

my business is so slow right now, I’m working very part-time at a local kindergym, but I am thinking by next month, if things don’t improve I’ll have to get another part-time job… or give up my biz and work full-time at a corporate gig, which I don’t want to do. :( I’ve done that and it wasn’t for me. :(

What type of work is in demand, pays well, and is soul satisfying?????

• I am a high school English Teacher.

Pros – I love working with the kids and hopefully being a positive force in their life.

Cons – Very structured and test based curriculum and education is a bureaucracy.

The pros out weigh the cons for me right now. That said this is only my second year.

• What a coincidence this topic has come up! I am in transition from years of being an HR and Administrative Manager in the corporate world to finally finding my passion in the healing arts. As of 10/1, I will be a practitioner of Graceful Health Care. www.gracefulhealth.com It is an amazing system founded in cutting edge neurology and cellular biology that assists people in achieving their highest potential in all aspects of their lives. I’ve been in care for 2 years and the transformations and growth are amazing. I’ve studied for the past year with the doctors who developed the system and could not be more thrilled to begin and be of service to the community. I’ve spent many frustrated years in a field that doesn’t allow me to serve to my highest potential and realy empathize. My sincerest wish is for all to find their passion, create their path to achieve it and go for it!

littlegems – truly what is going to be in demand are the unique gifts you have to give – whatever they may be. And when you discover what they are and move in that direction, your soul will be satisfied and that will not only bring you the money but an even greater wealth. I know that’s not a very direct answer to your question – and perhaps you were posing it to yourself and not the forum. Within is where you’ll find the answer for sure! Blessings!

• I do home/auto insurance. Its only a job to support my other interests that I try, and have failed, to make money on lol! Like writing and painting and playing guitar :)

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

I am a house wife and mother of 5. Up until I was 50. I grew and sold produce, eggs, honey, milk, and cheese that I made. On top of it I home schooled until I was 53, and sold large rugs made on my loom. I may not have brought in a lot of money, but it paid the taxes, paid for itself, and we ate well. When I was 57 I went to work for Hewlett Packard. Got tendenitus, high blood pressure plus eye problems. Figured it wasnt worth it. Quit and retired.

• beay :)

“I may not have brough in a lot of money, but it paid the taxes, paid for itself, and we ate well.”

What more can you ask for!? Although I have thought about having a lot of money, I would have no clue what to do with it. I have everything I need in life, and I dont want anything (well perhaps true love haha).

To me its enough to eat well and pay the bills :)

• I have my own business, I design shoes for my shoe line and have them made by artisans in Peru… it was a dream I had many years ago, and I threw myself in the deep end with no training. But after it got off the ground I realized I hadn´t thought it through as much as I should have…. the fashion industry is fickle and the stress off running a business (in which there are constant, ongoing ´crisis´) is too much; the stress outwieghs the happiness! I have been dreaming of getting out of it for years, but something always keeps me hanging on… I suppose also the level of emotional investment I´ve put in it! (not to mention finincial!) I think one of my biggest mistakes was targeting a high-fashion market, who perhaps don´t always put ethics as a priority. If I continued to make shoes I would make my product 100% ecological (I only really learned the extent of the negative aspects of non’eco shoes after I started the business!). However I feel that for the present I am done, and am planning on taking a couple months to travel around Peru visiting various social and agricultural projects and learning about the things that truly empassion me.

I completely empathise with not feeling fulfilled with your job, heathermarsbomb, and my best suggestion would be to examine your ´hobbies´ or the things you do not for money but for pleasure, the things that make you happy. How would you want to help people? The happiest and most inspiring people I know here are ones who´s time is spent assisting others. Just yesterday I met with a friend who built a home for young girls between the ages of 11-17 who have had children as a product of rape. The transformative emotional healing that happens in their project sounds incredible. I think it comes down to in which way you want to help….emotionally? (i.e love, games, therapy) physically (i.e massage, labour, construction) financially, etc…And, lastly, you don’t need to be trained to help anyone! Just a heart and patience. I think a life directed towards serving others is rewarding but difficult, as it opens your eyes to pain and suffering (particularly in the realms that I am thinking of – a ´third world´ country which has much poverty and suffering), but that experience deepens you. And that is what we are all after, right? To feel ful-filled in our deepest parts. I wish you the very best!

• Hi everybody! I love reading about you all! I was a professional french horn player in NYC and LA until a ffew years ago when I moved to Colorado and had my daughter, now 2 1/2. I certainly miss playing music and will go back to it, but I am thankful for this time as I have found my love for cooking—-then NOT cooking! :) Aikido, rock climbing and kundalini. My mothr and I are becoming certified kundalini teachers together this year, I have started teaching french horn again and I have just signed up my very first client as a personal chef. (serving up vegan and raw foods with an emphasis on proper food combining.) Kerryc-I wanted to design clothing for female clmibers, but didn’t know where to start! hahaha! Other than designing and making some for myself.

• Aikido! How lang have youve been training!? I was going to train years ago and still read up about Aikido every now and then :) Right now I train is Jeet Kune Do and am looking for a gym to train in Krav Maga.

• I only started aikido this year. LOOOOVE it! I have a hard time keeping regular at the dojo, but I try. i study alot by reading and watching, too. My parents were into martial arts, Taekwondo, when I was growing up, so I started that at a young age. I love martial arts.

I live pretty far from my dojo and in the winters it can be very difficult to get there. When we move to Texas, I have found where I will study REGULARLY! AH! I can’t wait for that!

I had to look up Krav Maga; it looks very interesting!

• Hi kirsten, I would definitely encourage you to sketch a couple ideas and make some samples yourself – its where it all starts, really! As long as you have solid ideas about the shape, openings/closings, material and accesories any patternmaker should be able to interpret it and then you can correct the actual sample. Show it to some friends, make a website, do some local sample sales and you will get a some clients that will quickly multiply! Word of mouth is the best form of advertising. I always wanted to attend a Kundalini class, I was told it stirs up a lot of stuff! How do you like it? It sounds great to have the time to mix and match all your different interests!

• Kerrycv, I love kundalini. about a year and a half ago, a friend of mine was driving across country and I hadn’t seen her in about 1 yr. She had become an instructor of kundalini and the night she stayed at my house, she led me in a class. It was awesome. From that very night I have been prcaticing daily. It is really wonderful. The breathing is especially cleansing for me.

I have been practicing yoga for almost 10 years and it has always resonated with me, but kundalini was different. If you ever find the time and the class, you should take it!

Thanks for the advice on the clothing. I made a pair of pants that I use when I climb. I will take it further…I’ll let you know!

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

I work with flowers! I’m in the flower department at Whole Foods. It’s the best job I’ve ever had! I literally just hang out with flowers and plants all day…and I get a 20% discount on all the produce I want to boot!

Yay!

In a few months I’m going to take yoga teacher training to teach hot vinyasa flow. And I’m currently writing a series of novels which will be done one day! :-)

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

I do public relations for high-tech companies, and on the side, I do PR for my own clients in vegan/raw/green businesses. For now, I want to keep some of the perks that come with my “real” job, like health insurance and IRAs, but eventually my side business will be my sole business when I’m ready or when I semi-retire.

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

I’m a translator. Mostly Italian to English, but also some French and Spanish. I’m getting a master’s now in medical and pharmacological translation. The cool thing is that I could work from anywhere – all I need is a laptop and an internet connection.

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

I am a Student of Raw Foods and an Environmentalist… Retired R.N., mother of 3 and step mother of 2, (divorced)... Artist, acrylics and oils… Wood carver, burner and small funiture maker… Clothes maker, knitter and tatter… Oh my goodness, I may have left out some but that’s enough for now… LOL

• Sexy Wife/Helpmate. Life-giving, Home-Educating MOM. Day-seizer/Joy-spreader with a little sarcasm for interest. Raw milk producer. Right now, I don’t do stuff that makes money – but I guess I can live with that. : )

• heathermarsbombheathermarsbomb Raw Newbie

Wow thank you for the overwhelming response…..!! I enjoyed reading all the answers to my questions. I still feel ‘lost’ but hopefully not for much longer (positive thinking!!!). I have been thinking about saving up a few grand and volunteering abroad for a couple of months. Anyone ever do that? I also need to research non-profits in my area more thoroughly when I get a few minutes. I feel like I’m all over the map. I never finished college either so I am trying to not let that limit me. Maybe I am having a 1/3 life crisis, Ill be 30 soon and just feeling generally unsatisfied and vocationally LOST.

My gratitude to all who answered :)

What I should so is write a list of my ‘skills’ because I feel like I have NONE, and I know in my heart that is definitely not true. I don’t have ‘skills’ to be a greedy corporate hound dog, that doesn’t mean I don’t have the skills to help someone in need. Right??? RIGHT.

oy vey, sorry for the ranting. It’s another day in the office and I’m staring at the clock once again.

MOTH – I have applied to WF and waiting to hear back. There is one about 20 minutes from me and one set to open even closer than that next Summer. I hope to transfer if I can get my foot in the door. They seem like a decent co. to work for. Ill take a pay cut over happiness (and chopping my 45 minutes drive in half)

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

heathermarsbomb – Believe me, you can have a zillion skills and degrees and still not know what to do. I am in the same situation right now but I have no REAL job. I have a Bachelors, an IT Certification, a Cosmetology degree and I have a half finished Masters. I got a ton of skills and experience but not sure where to go next.

I worked for several non-profits and yes,they don’t pay much but you will be lovin your job (if it is was you like to that is)! I used to work at a no-kill cat shelter and at a zoo and the pay sucked and I had to work weekends so I missed out on a lot of stuff to do on the weekends but you know what I didn’t care because I knew I was making a difference. I mean, I hand-raised endangered baby birds – there no way to feel bad about that. It was backbreaking dirty work but if I could manage I would go back in a heartbeat. There is no better feeling than knowing you are working for the greater good. :) (well, for me it was, because I wanted to be in conversation).

So why did I leave? I was broke beyond belief. Beacause my pay was so low I slowly fell into big debt and had to figure a way out. I switched to computers and was able to get out of debt (well almost all the way out) because the pay was so much better. (I do like working on computers but I like animals more)But I got laid off after 4 years and now I am stuck. I am sort of at that midway point of not having enough experience or not the right experience (for IT jobs th at is).

Animal jobs are hard to get. I got really lucky when I got mine. I would love to go back to one if I could somehow manage it money wise. But now I have reacculated debt from being laid off so I have a double situation. I need a good paying job but not sure what job I want.

I bet you have tons of skills! I am serious. Write down all your jobs/hobbies/volunteer experience and I will tell you what skills you have. Sometimes you can have so many skills you don’t know what to do with them.

Another thing that makes it hard is that people change and sometimes something that you loved to before – you don’t like anymore so you figure “I can’t go back to doing that” (I do that with myself too) – but that still counts as skills. On any job, you acculumated enough skills to get a different job.

But even more important that if you go for a job that you REALLY want – it will show when you interview. They can tell if you are passionate about what you are going for.

What sort of non-profits are you thinking of?

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

hmb, sorry about your 1/3 life crisis, I encourage you to follow your passion if you are not heavily in debt or under big monetary commitments…like big house and car loans. if you are sell them and get out and start over i say, you only got one life to live! I train horses for a living, have since 1998 when i got my hard earned certifiction in the method i teach…i love my job… hell bitch woman horse owners(they nknow wh othey are;0) and all. Im poor alot, but i get up every day and get to see touch and breath my love and passion….Its gotten pysically harder for me as ive gotten older (40 two weeks ago), but i wouldnt trade it for the world. heres me www.johnlyonssandiego.com. good luck to ya!