Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Why isn't raw enough?

lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

I’ve noticed every month there is some new thing to cut out from our raw diets (aside from the dead food list, which is not what I am referring to). There’s 80-10-10, which was disastrous for a vatta-pitta, then there are the juice feasts, the water fasts, the colonics, the Master Cleanse, the no fruit sugars, the fat free raw group. If you’ve been 100% raw for 6 weeks or so, why would you need so much restriction? I’m asking because I really do want to know and understand. I hope this doesn’t come off as my critical Virgo side. I really want to know. I’m with you. I’ve tried several different things-always using my body as a vessel for experimentation. It helps me learn and what I’ve learned most is 100% gives 200% benefits. I believe David Wolfe says that. It’s all I need.

Comments

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

For me and my body…I enjoy cleansing at different levels. I figure that I abused my body so savagely over the years that I can use it. Also I don’t view a lot of how I eat as restriction; it’s more like liberation. I am low-fat because fat makes my body sleepy and slow and it tends to amp up my anxiety as well. I enjoyed the 80-10-10 because that was freedom to eat as much as I like without anxiety; and I go off and on with fruitarianism because my body occasionally just doesn’t accept greens. I am very in tune with my body these days, and can just tell what it wants, and what it doesn’t want.

I juice sometimes because I need to feel lighter, need deeper cleansing. The deepest cleansing at all, water fasting, can really stir things up to the point where I must handle them carefully. Nonetheless, I enjoy experimenting and helping my body heal and become clean. Fasting is actually what got me into raw, nine months ago. (just entering my 9th month now)

I just go with what I feel like I need, and what I need is different for each new moment and phase of my life.

But I definitely don’t feel I am restricting; as I said, it’s a sense of liberation I feel from tightening my diet up and making it as clean as possible. Just depends on what I feel I need. I love detoxing and healing from the years of abuse I put my body through so I experiment with different methods of cleansing through food (and sometimes no food)...

...that’s pretty much it!

My goal is ALWAYS maximizing my vital energy, 100%!!! I just always adjust my diet to reflect what my energy needs to stay at peak levels of performance, happiness and peace. :-)

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

lzhpt – Wonderful topic!

I love your post (I am a Virgo too so nah, that doesn’t look criticial to me at all! Us Virgos love that criticial stuff don’t we?)

For me, I think being raw is enough. But I also think that some peoples bodies are so polluted that they need to do some sort of modified diet in their “raw career” to fix things wrong with them. I am specially in support of any cleansing one might need to do. I think 80/10/10 is too strict but for some people it is the only way they can be raw and feel good on it. I think some people need more boundaries and restrictions to make it work for themselves. This might be esp true of those who are still struggling with old problems like eating disorders. I guess you gotta do what works for you.

I have done a few liquid and juice fasts and I honestly felt better after them. My hearing got better (I have hearing loss) and that was enough for me to know it “helped” me out. I did half an MC a few months ago and I am planning to do a full one soon. I guess I honestly feel I haven’t cleaned myself out. I had candida on my skin which I got rid of most of it – I did alot of detox tea like Pau D’ Arco and went through a bad week of detox.

But I feel if someone already feels great on raw, has no health problems etc – they should stick with what they are doing. Why mess it up if it is not broken? Others may feel they still have some healing to do.

For myself, I stil don’t always have energy or strength and uneven moods etc – I still feel like I have some healing to do – not just diet wise but other sorts of work but cleansing helps me. So, I will do some cleanses or whatever that I feel will help.

I am with you though. David Wolfe is my fave raw foodist! I know not everyone will agree but everyone follows their own thing. I love superfoods! They honestly make raw so much more fun.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Thank you for helping me understand. So is it like pressing the fast-forward button vs. waiting for the next healing crisis? Moth-thanks for helping me see the “goal” as that’s how my brain operates. I’m glad to hear it’s not about weight loss. It took me years to throw that scale away and just go raw. Everything normalizes. I could never water fast. I live in ATL and drink filtered lake water from a lake that is 20” below normal. People boat in it and swim/pee in it.

• thecavsmanthecavsman Raw Newbie

Raw isn’t enough because I don’t always feel perfect depending on what I eat. I tried eating a lot of nuts in my diet and it made me feel bad. So now very limited nuts. I realized that my banana consumption was skyrocketing and I read more and more about hybrid fruits and how they might not be so great for you – so no more bananas and pineapples. Everything that I have done has made me feel much better and balanced. I don’t try to push my views about hybrids, etc on other people, nor do I discuss them too much, but I can’t just stop at 100% raw is good enough for me, because it isn’t. I continue to lose weight – and then I come across a story from a poster about how he used Dr. Jubbs liver/gallbladder cleanse which caused him to not only gain back his body weight, but to gain it while eating less – so I am trying it. There is just so much out there that all centers around raw.

I agree totally though about how it becomes a headache hearing about 80/10/10, then someone else who believes that fruit are bad, then someone else that believes, etc etc. It should be simple – raw is good – and that is why I don’t push what I believe. But raw is all about simplification, and after I simplified my diet to exclude anything cooked, the next step was to exclude altered hybrid fruits with a lot of sugar. I think of it like this – We are all trying to be as natural as possible. Good topic.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Izhpt:

“Moth-thanks for helping me see the “goal” as that’s how my brain operates.”

No problem; I’m an Aquarius, and I certainly don’t mind elaborating, hehe.:-)

• i’ve found the cleaner my body gets, the cleaner i and it wants to be, it really snowballs on ya :) your getting back to what you should be

• Hi lzhpt, Just wanted to say that raw is enough for me!! I’m still working towards it, but feel lighter and better so far and am not looking to “jumpstart” anything, just taking it slow and easy!

• I’d say raw is enough, but sometimes we seek a higher conscious and health level….not knowing where it will take us!

• jellibijellibi Raw Newbie

For me: raw is enough. Even cooked food is more than enough. All food is nourishing and I am thankful for it :)

• nycgrrlnycgrrl Raw Newbie

I don’t know. For me I have been raw about 5 months (with about a month off the wagon-disastrous). 80-10-10 works for me, in a way. I can’t really get to 10% that easily, but 15-20 is doable for the fat, and benefits me IMMENSELY. However, I am addicted to fat and it’s a VERY hard diet for me to follow, so then I cycle into feeling badly that I don’t stick to it. I find if i limit my nuts and oil but don’t ELIMINATE them, I do better. I love flax and hemp oil on my salads, i love walnuts on occasion,and i love avos on occasion. I am trying to increase my fruit intake so those other foods naturally decline simply beccause I am not hungry. But I am trying hard not to judge myself—but I am a Libra, and constantly tweaking things, never satisfied, always seeking the right emotional and physical calibration for my body.

I find small amounts of cacao for now are fine for my body. My goal right now is to simply eat more fruits as when I ate ALOT of fruit I felt so freakin’ energetic. I miss that and with my life i need all the energy I can get.

So i guess, in short, you could say I am a seeker. Always seeking to tweak what’s GOOD and make it GREAT.

• Hi Moth! I’m an aquarius too! I’ll be 26 in Feb!

For me, I just eat what I want, were I want, how I want, when I want. Having to become fixated on what you eat and how and why you eat it is no way to live. Believe me, I tried that and became so obsessed with the “rules of raw eating” that I didnt enjoy it anymore. If it tastes good, and if you feel good when and after you eat it. Eat it! Just remember the moderation rule. Moderation is the only rule for me. I’m more likely to stick to my raw diet when I dont have to follow 1,576 rules. While books and the internet are very helpful, listening to your own body is the key. Our bodies are very good at communicating with us. My body may respond differently to a certain food than yours because our needs are different. Just like we all come in different shapes, sizes and colors, our nutritional needs are different too. And if we do eat something not so good for us, trust me, your body WILL tell you.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Azul-so interesting on the “rules” thing. By nature I’m such a non-conformist, which in a way is how I found raw in a traditional medical world. So yes-then came all those rules and measuring when i read 80-10-10 and way back then-I rebelled big time! I remember feeling intense dislike for that guy :D. I think we all find that place that really works well for our bodies and i really agree with Gabriel Cousens about people being different doshas and different metabolizers. Also-different personalities, right? I love to create in the kitchen (I’ve got my first batch of sweet potato crisps in the dehydrator now. This will be interesting as I tend to over eat dehydrated foods. Tune in for my bloat tomorrow :). Tomorrow I turn 45!!! I thought I just turned 40 and fabulous yesterday. This is a time of immense change for me and raw has led me to so many new passions over the last 2.5 years, from my political views, to my exercise choices to EVERYTHING! I’m so grateful for all of it.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

You look so beautiful, Izhpt! I never would have guessed you at 45. You look like you’re in your early thirties.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

yup, i think you’ve got it. our bodies are different, so that is why we choose different things. some people simply like to try to challenge themselves and push themselves further whereas others are happier to move at a slower pace or the diet they are on moves them on a faster pace than other people might on the same food. the only problem that i have with all these approaches is the people who DON’T get that one size does not fit all and are constantly preaching their point of view. in fact i have been alienated from several other sites where people with a narrow view of raw have taken over and become dogmatic towards others.

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

I think raw might be enough for many people, but a jump-start cleanse is great to get detox revving. The more you start to listen to your body, the more you become selective, which is probably why rawers get ever more limiting in intake – fine tuning.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

MOTH- you are so nice! Actually, you know, as my Mom used to say, “It’s just a number” and it is. I just don’t like 4s and 5s, especially when put together. I also have not eaten the entire tray of sweat potato chips-pats on the back. They’re really good and i don’t find them addicting.-Renee Underkoffler’s recipe. Always a good chat with all of you!. I think it’s time to say bu-bye to cacao. I had just a wee little bit in my banana ice cream last night and found myself cleaning the kitchen at 2am. Alas!

• thecavsmanthecavsman Raw Newbie

I agree lulushka8 – I can’t get down with all that division stuff. I already don’t like the “vegan” label in the regular world, and I really don’t want a label in the raw world. And people are too nasty sometimes. Look, I don’t eat bananas, etc, but I’m not going to come on here and criticize someone who does. Everyone figures their own thing out and we can just tell stories to help eachother. And chances are, all of us that are so sure about OUR way being right will have changed the way we eat 5 years from now anyway – I for one have changed several times on my 5 months raw. To think I know the answer right now would be silly.

In general I like the gone raw people though – I remember one member recently talked about how they eat raw meat etc and maybe a person or two was a little rough on them but for the most part people just discussed meat and why they personally choose not to eat it – it was fine. You can influence someone whether you are nice or mean, so why not be nice?

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Yep, I totally agree. I love this place. I feel very comfortable here.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

<3>