Rejuvelac: what is it?

Branwyn32Branwyn32 Raw Newbie

Well, I know it’s grains fermented in water, and it’s often used to make nut cheeses and such, as I just looked at the recipes for it. But what exactly are its benefits? Is it just used as a raw vegan fermenting agent to make other foods? Is it really as easy to make as it sounds?

If you can make cheeses with it, can you make yogurt with it from nut milks? I’ve always loved yogurt (with fruit or vanilla…I could eat vanilla yogurt for dessert every day!) and would love to still be able to have some form of it. Would it still have the probiotics of dairy yogurt?

Also, just out of curiousity…as its fermented grain, does it have much of an alcohol content? Not that I have a problem with that…just one of the recipes says you can drink it if you get hungry between meals, and I don’t know if I should be sitting at work a few sheets to the wind… :p

Comments

• heathermarsbombheathermarsbomb Raw Newbie

I started making it recently and I love it! It is a beverage made from fermented rye or wheat sprouts. I add herbal teabags to give it more flavor. If you look on google I think there is good info out there. It’s easy once you get the hang of the process.