Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

crystal deodorant

Hello everyone!

I’ve been using a natural deodorant for the past few years, but am now wondering if it’s really doing good to my body. It’s made of Amminium Alum (natural mineral salts), and is fragrance-, paraben- and aluminum chlorohydrate- free. Basically, it looks like a crystal that you wet with water before applying to the skin.

Does anybody know more on the subject? If this one is actually harmful, what else could I use?

Thank you !

Comments

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

I’ve been using the same for several years now, although I’ve noticed I smell far better when I’m high raw (my hubby’s noticed it too!). I’d be interesting in seeing the replies. The great thing about the crystal is that it lasts forever. I have two and I think I’ll take them to the grave with me!

• springleafspringleaf Raw Newbie

I have read a bit on this subject as when my current deoderant runs out I want to swap to using the crystal one. From what I can tell the molecules of the crystal are too large to be absorbed into the body and can therefore do no harm, they just stay on the surface of your skin.

• I’ve been using it for years and it works great! My husband uses it as well with great results, and my daughter has been using the same thing in a spray form.

The only thing I’d mention is that the first time I tried it, I started in the middle of the summer and abandoned the test in a couple of days. Then I tried it in the middle of the winter and got the bacteria under control during a non-sweating-constantly time of year and I’ve never had any reason to go back to conventional products.

Raw definitely lowers body odor. Whether or not it completely eliminates it is probably different for different folks – and different lifestyle requirements. In my office, any odor at all is generally considered unacceptable. People seem to accept natural body odor from employees at the coop where I shop, however.

• I use the crystal, nothing, or an unscented gel deodorant that’s vegan but not necessarily healthy. Reason being I have to drag a lot of equipment for work, I wear pants, and I get super hot and don’t want to smell too sweaty. I love going deordorant-free – I don’t normally smell or get too sweaty; I just want to pre-empt any issues with regard to work/a professional setting.

• steviostevio Raw Newbie

I am finding that while 100% raw, I have no need for deodorant. Even after 4 days without a shower my body odor is not noticeable to those around me, nor to myself. However, I am sure I will not always be able to stay 100% raw all the time, and this deodorant which you all speak of has me intrigued. Where might I find it?

Stevio, you can find crystal deodorant at any healthfood store as well as Trader Joe’s. I think I paid like $5 for mine and have had it already 3/4 years and it still looks new!

Jenoz: Good idea about getting the bacteria “under control” at a non-sweating” time of year. Unfortunatly for us in england we’ve had a rubbish summer here. I would like to be able to say that I’ll wait till the weather cools down at bit, but there’s no need! feels like autumn here already :-(

• does the crystal do anything for wetness? i don’t usually have a smell issue, but i hate the sticky wet feeling, so i’m still wearing antiperspirant. otherwise i tend to get pit puddles.

• thanks evergreen, that’s exactly qhat i was looking for – and thanks everybody else for sharing !

lalala: i tend to wear vest tops as oftern as possible, I have found that this helps pits to breathe and so I dont notice a problem with wetness.

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

I use the crystal too, I hate any wetness too but antiperspirant are so unnatural and unsafe I figure i would rather have wet arm pits than take the chance of breast cancer from antiperspirants.

Another thing that works for any smell is coconut oil. I will often put it on if I have any smell and can;t shower – it kills the smell and I see nice and coconutty.

• Galadriel, thank you for this post because I also had the same question. I just never got around to doing the research and also figured that using my Thai Crystal was probably my best option, and that if it were bad for me, it couldn’t possibly be worse than standard antisperspirant.

Springleaf said “From what I can tell the molecules of the crystal are too large to be absorbed into the body and can therefore do no harm, they just stay on the surface of your skin.” end quote I am glad you answered the question Springleaf because now I feel a litttle safer using this deodorant. But I would like to see the research on this just for future reference so that I can give someone a definite answer. I’m going to look into this. Other things have taken priority and I’‘m always forgetting to do the research.

It IS true that veganism controls body odor. Meat eaters have body odor because the meat actually putrifies while being digested within our 98.6 degree internal body temperature environment. Meat contains no fiber to help push it through our extremely long digestive tract, so it takes longer to digest than plant based foods. Add to that the fact that it’s dead rotting flesh, wow! I’m actually making a good case against myself (I allow myself to slip up occasionally (not more than once a month) when I’m out at a restaurant with a viracious appetite and there’s nothing on the menu but iceberg lettuce and stuff I’m allergic to). Pray for my complete deliverance from meat ya’ll.

I'm not aware of the difference in body chemistry between veganism and vegan raw foodism, but I would imagine that being 100% raw is better for body chemistry because you don't have dead food in your body waiting to be digested, I guess. If anyone has any information regarding the benefits of being a raw food vegan vs. just vegan in regard to body chemistry/odor, would you please respond with an excerpt, web link or book name? I'd like to know the research behind this.

Anyway, I have tried different natural deodorants and the Thai stone works best for me. There are other crystals, but I like this one best. I also like Tom’s of Maine’s deodorants. And I’ve found that for me, what lulushka8 said is true…”keeping pits clean shaven keeps bacteria at bay” which means for me, elimination of odor. I drink a lot of water with lemon which also works because it cleanses the cells. I’ve heard that it reduces sweating too, maybe that’s why I don’t sweat profusely. But sweating is actually good for you…cleanses the toxins from the body and regulates body temperature.

As far as perspiration is concerned, I’ve used baking soda mixed with water (helps with odor too) and applied it as a thin paste. However, I don’t perspire a WHOLE lot anyway, even when I’m exercising so this may be why it’s effective for me. But if anyone tries it, I’d like to know if it works for you. But I think that if I were to wear a very thin blouse and had to give a health lecture before a group of people (which always makes me a little nervous making me perspire more), I would just have to wear an antiperspirant to be safeguarded. Until then, I just don’t wear thin blouses when I have to speak.

Okay, I’ve rattled on for an hour now, gotta go. Bye now.

• Hi Lulushka! Thanks for replying. When you said you just go with the lemon, are you saying that you apply the lemon directly to your arms? I’m sorry, I’m actually being serious here and would like to know because if it works, I’m actually willing to try it. By the way, has anyone ever told you that you look like Jessica Alba? I think you do…she’s pretty, so I’m giving you a compliment.

• I’ve been using crystal deoderant for 5 years or so. I consider myself average in regard to how much I sweat. When I switched from an antiperspirant to crystal, I was a little concerned how that would work out but whatever my sweating is, it doesn’t wet my clothes under arms or elsewhere. Odor is something else – I tried a few of the so called natural deoderants found at health food stores but all failed until I tried the crystal. Works like a charm. I’m still using the same crystal for 3 years. It’s the best bargain in town. If you get smelly feet, use it on the bottoms of your feet. During the summer, I would get that problem but have discovered Crocs (shoes) which has some kind anti-bacterial protection in the soul of the shoes, so this summer, my feet have smelled like daisies, and very happy and comfortable due to the cushioning and comfort of these fabulous shoes. And yes, eating raw, has kept my body fresher smelling in all areas, which I attribute to no meat and much much chlorophyll consumption.

• I’ve been using the crystal for years, and love it. I haven’t shaved since I was a teenager (like 19 years ago), and have never had any bacteria problems. I sweat a lot when it’s hot, and then it dries… no big deal. But, I’ve also been a vegetarian for 19 years too, so perhaps that’s why it hasn’t been a problem for me?

I can’t believe that shaving is necessary; it is so unnatural.

• I won’t use those crystal deodorants. Alum, the main ingredient, is aluminum (without splitting chemistry “hairs”) The theory is that the molecules are large so they sit on your skin and are not absorbed. But if you shave your arm pits (or even just itch them with sharp fingernails), then you are most likely causing micro-abrasions, even if you don’t bleed. Then, those large molecules have an open invitation to your body. Aluminum deodorant is highly correlated with breast cancer. I won’t take that risk. However, I have also found that the more I am raw, the more I don’t need any kind of deodorant. But if you really think you need something, there are several companies making aluminum-free deodorant. You may need to try a few to find which one works best for you.

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Hmm, my crytal deordant doesn’t have any alum in it. It is just a big pure salt stick. I am sure there ones with alum added in them. Make sure you read the labels.

alum’s a type of salt, not metal. Here’s what I found on Wikipedia: Ammonia alum, NH4Al(SO4)2·12H2O, a white crystalline double sulfate of aluminium, is used in water purification, in vegetable glues, in porcelain cements, in natural deodorants (though potassium alum is more commonly used), in tanning, dyeing and in fireproofing textiles.

• Awww…you are so sweet lulushka ;) Thank you for the compliments. I can’t take any credit here. God has made me a happy girl! :)

I don’t think you’re plain at all…just natural beauty.

That’s very interesting about the lemons! I think that I’ll try it this winter. But I think that I’d better wait until I do some more detoxing first…I don’t need any unpleasant surprises…lol!

• Have you guys found that it really does help with arm pit body odor smells? Sometimes I shave my armpits and sometimes I don’t, it’s an andro-mood thing for me. I will sadly admit that my bodycare products are not as natural as they could be and I honestly don’t want to start another form of obsession knowing that I deal with ocd issues… but I am curious to TRY things and see how they work for me. So, play it by ear… I’m encouraged to try this product. You all seem to rate it pretty well.

As for the lemon… wow, never ever thought of using it for this. Do you just rub some slices on your arm pits (obviously not after a shave job)? juice it and use it as a spritz? hook a brotha up! Thanks loves. xoxo

• itouristitourist Raw Newbie

Being raw, I find that I don’t smell even when I wear polyester clothes. But I do like to wear deoderant just as a security blanket. I bought aluminum free Queen H_ deoderant at the health food store. It cost $5 and man did it smell awful. I tried to wipe the stuff off but it left a residue until I took a shower. My recommendation is to just use the everyday deoderant even though it has alumninum.

I do sweat when I walk. I guess one of my work out clothes could be worn 4 times before it smelled of sweat (buttery—like my birds smell) not oniony like a dairy eater.

• Natural material clothing is so important for the body, cotton, wool, silk, etc. No deodorant, nothing for me. don’t need it. I don’t smell but i do sweat and can sweat a lot if i am working out, running or doing yoga. i’m just so much cleaner internally on raw, but didn’t need it prior to raw either…hmmm lucky i guess. also, i would never want to block the pores under the arm area where important detox takes place and high concentration of lymph nodes are…

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

After watching Mother suffer through Alzheimer’s and doing some research, I decided it’s best to err on the side of caution. To the best of my knowledge, there is NO aluminum in my house, nor is there any Teflon. I love crystal deodorant—still using the one I bought 3 years ago. Since I’m not 100% yet, after consuming cooked food, I sometimes need a little protection. If I have been raw for more than the previous 24 hours I don’t seem to need anything.

• Therawdance…You know, I thought about juicing the lemons, putting the juice in a spray bottle, and using it as a spritz deodorant as well. I wonder how many days the juice will maintain its freshness. If anyone knows, please post it here. Rawdance, if/when you try it, please let me know, and when I try it, I’ll let you know.

Emptdmom…I’m so sorry to hear about your mom

Just a thought, ignore if sounds too weird… what about juicing a lemon, then freezing it in cubes and keeping the cubes in the freezer in a box (not to be confused with food!!!) then just taking out a cube when nessesarry and using it – body heat would melt a thin layer onto skin – then putting it back in the box?

• For me using a lemon NOT fresh cut did not work. Like if I used half one day and stuck it in the fridge the next day it didn’t cut it. I guess it’s a YMMV thing.