Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

sept 811rv support group?

Comments

• littlegems – i run zucchini and yellow squash through the spiralizer to make ‘spaghetti’. I like adding chopped tomatoes, lemon, mango and a little avocado.

• nycgrrlnycgrrl Raw Newbie

hey all glad to hear everyone is doing great!!!

Today I’ve eaten: 4 bananas with cacao (i know, i know), 1 cup of fresh orange juice, 1 cup of grape tomatoes with about 10 walnuts and a drizzle of flax oil, 2 more bananas, 4 cups of watermelon juice and tonight I am having kale with sesame seeds for dinner. Feeling good. My period is due in 4 days, and last month at this time I was eating about 50% cooked vegan and was so unbelievably cranky and awful and moody.

Oh, and I am SERiouslY experiencing detox again—lots of pimples on my face which is what happened the last time I quit cooked foods.

oh, and mimo-that sounds lovely-i’ve been craving some zucchini pasta!

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

littlegems! Glad to have you with us. I’ve never had squash pasta, but I know some people use it as an alternative to zucchini. I might try it myself, as I’m not a zucchini fan but I would still like to have some pasta.

Anyone know what type of squash it best for pasta?

NYCgrrl – glad you’re feeling good! If the cacao keeps you raw, then so be it! :-) Also it seems normal to crave cacao during that time of the month…I know I do sometimes. The breakouts also might be related to that as well.

My detox as DEFINITELY accelerated, so I”m right there with you! I’m breaking out still, but don’t mind it too much. And sometimes I will get hit with a wave of exhaustion and dizziness + an achy/flu feeling that I have come to associate with detox. Oh well…get all that stuff out of me! LOL

Today I’ve had one thing: WATERMELON. I’m allowing myself as much as I like! So far I’m almost done with a full one, and fully intend to eat part of another tonight, too.

Did hot yoga as usual. I think I’ll go running later too; have lots of energy and I want to feel fast!

:-)

Have a great night, everyone.

• MOTH, if you don’t like zucchini, then I don’t think you’ll like yellow squash as a noodle either. it has a very strong flavor, and I only like it cooked, which makes it sweeter. Personally, I love sweet potatoes as a noodle. Just spiralize it and I like to dehydrate it a bit with some broccoli and other veggies for a stir fry type dish, or even plain as a breakfast potato type dish. I’d bet it would be great with a marinara type sauce.

• hello everyone! new here, and new to 811. i’m excited to do 811, but i’m worried i might ‘injure’ myself by getting deficient in something. what are your thoughts on this ? i really want to experience super health. i don’t need to lose weight (maybe just 5 lbs), so it’s more about energy and health and beauty, not weight for me. maybe i should just take a multi vitamin/mineral to lose the fear/paranoia of deficiency.

i’m not completely raw.. i still have coffee and some silk, and maybe some cooked veggies.. but i try to keep it low fat nonetheless.

• I recommend reading the book first; it gives a lot of information behind the diet, and how many calories and protein and other nutrients you get from eating 1lb. of each type of fruit/veggie.

I refer to that book a lot. I also recommend logging what you eat with an online nutrient tracker, so you can rest assured that what you are eating is indeed giving you the nutrients you need.

The trick is eating enough raw fruits and veggies, and not adding much extra overt fat. But, since I’m new at it too, I’ll leave it at that, and let others provide their insight. ;)

hey figs!!!! welcome! I recommend you read the book-you won’t get deficient on anything, certainly not on a month trial, and you might find you feel so good that you’re hooked. The key, as littlegems said, is to eat enough calories. That was my downfall the first time ‘round, and I am trying to avoid that this time! You can definitely take some time to ‘transition”—I am still transitioning and eat some non-raw items like cacao and tea.

my day today was good. Total consumption: I ate 6 bananas, 1 cup fresh oj, 1 cup grape tomatoes with 10 walnuts and drizzle of flax oil, 6 cups watermelon juice, huge fruit salad for dinner with apples, oranges, prune plums, and hubby wants to make a green salad for dinner with carrot and celery. Basically we’re trying to empty the fridge of all the food that’s about to go bad LOL I did the elliptical trainer for 30 minutes and then lifted weights for 20 minutes plus situps.

Assuming I eat the salad (feeling full right now!) here are my stats:

1600 calories (I am so pleased to get above 1200—that’s where I ‘failed’ last time i did 811)

Carbs/Protein/Fat: 83-5-11 Yay another day with the correct calorinutrient ratio!!

edited to add: okay, so i had a few bites of popcorn during our family movie night tonight. Ah well, it’s a journey, right? :)

• heyenglishheyenglish Raw Newbie

I’ve had a good day today! A little sore after yesterday’s 10 mile run, and was feeling a little tired too, but I know I didn’t eat enough calories yesterday. I made up for that today!

So today’s food:

Breakfast Smoothie – 3 bananas, 2 tbsp hemp protein, 1 tbsp of milk thistle seeds (trying to detox my liver at the moment), 2 tbsp of vitamineral green, and 1 tsp of cinnamon.

Lunch – 4 adorable tiny organic apples.

Snack – 6 medjool dates.

Dinner – 811 fajitas: 2 thinly sliced portabella caps marinated in lemon juice, red pepper flakes, salt and chili powder, 1/2 an avocado made into guacamole with 2 diced tomatoes and 1/4 diced red bell pepper, all wrapped up in romaine lettuce leaves. Totally yummy!

And now I’m enjoying a glass of organic red wine (shhh!)

Before the wine, I was at 1350 calories for the day and 81/6/13. I’m still working out how to get more protein into my diet without using seeds and nuts, but I’m so happy my fat content is way down. And the wine will push me over 1500 cals.

Oh, and littlegems, you could ty making rice/cous cous out of yellow squash. I’ve been doing that with butternut squash lately. I just throw cubes of it into my food processor, and process until it’s in fine pieces. Then I throw in different fruit juices, spices, and herbs, depending on what flavors I’m craving. Since I’m on a Mexican kick, tomorrow I’ll probably mix in some diced red bell peppers, tomatoes, and corn and use my left-over fajita sauce from today (lemon juice, chili powder, salt and red pepper flakes). The squash soaks up the flavors.

• heyenglish – thanks for the tip! I’ll give it a try. yum, I love butternut squash, and hope we start getting those soon from the farm. ;)

I’m just blending up a batch of the curried carrot soup that Kandace posted on here… it looks great. I like your ideas about it, since I’ve been looking for a new dip that isn’t so fatty, and a watered down curry sauce sounds awesome! you have some creative ideas to keep it low fat and still yummy.

littlegems – I’m trying to get creative in making sauces and dips that have a yummy, thick consistency without all the fat from oils or nuts and seeds.

I made a pudding last night with just 1/2 a mango and 1 pear blended together. It was delicious, and thick! I’m definitely gonna experiment with using mango as a base for dips and sauces now.

• heyenglish – sounds great. my daughter and I both love blending bananas together to make pudding—just put in the fridge for about 15 minutes to thicken up a bit. It’s great alone, but she likes it with raw carob or cacao powder added to it.

I really need to find a good creamy salad dressing. I tried a raspberry/ celery dressing from the 80/10/10 book, and didn’t like it very much. I like simple most of the time, but sometimes a creamy dressing hits the spot… I haven’t found a none tahini/nut/seed/avocado creamy salad dressing yet.

• thank you. oh i have read the book. maybe i need to re-read it. LOL and i do track my foods but still, nagging fears. also, since i just came from losing 30 pounds.. i need to ‘feel ok’ by eating more than 1500 cals and not feel i overate.

hey all! so today was SO MUCH BETTER than last month’s PMS time—my period is due in like 3 days and I am doing fine. Not perfect, a bit fatigued and low on energy, but not a crazy raving bitch either :)

My diet today:

Smoothie: 2 bananas, 1 cup berries, 1 tbs hemp seeds, 1 tbs cacao, 1 packet stevia, 2 big leaves of kale

Lunch and snack: 1/2 a pineapple, 6 bananas, 3/4 pound of strawberries

Dinner: 8 oz green and red lettuce, 1/2 cuke, 1 cup cherry tomatoes, 1 tsp ground flax seed…with a tsp of flax oil and some vinegar(still not used to a bare salad, but getting used to less dressing)

1400 calories

81-8-11 stats for the day….would like to increase my protein to at least 10%...any suggestions?

nyc – doesn’t minimal PMS rock?! Last year, my mum bought me a pillow that says “My greatest fear is that there is no PMS and that this is my personality.” I think I might be able to give that away soon! ;)

I’m in the same boat with the protein. I’ve been mixing 2 tbsp of hemp protein in my morning smoothie everyday, but I’m still not meeting my total needs. My book should be arriving tomorrow though, so I’m hoping to discover which fruits and veggies are most plentiful in protein.

To replace dressing, you could always squeeze half an orange over your salad.

My eats for the day:

Smoothie: 3 bananas, 2 tbsp hemp protein, 2 tbsp Vitamineral Green, 1 tbsp of milk thistle seeds, and 3 big handfuls of mixed greens.

Lunch, part 1: 3 small apples.

Lunch, part 2: 3 pears.

Early evening snack: 3 small navel oranges.

Dinner: Fiesta “rice” – butternut squash “rice” with 2 diced tomatoes, 3/4 bell pepper, 1 ear of corn, 2 stalks of celery, 2 green onions, and 10 hazelnuts. I used my leftover marinade from last night as dressing (lemon juice, chili powder, red pepper flakes, and salt). So yummy!

83-7-10

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

figs and olives – include exercise into your day, and there’s no way you will gain with 811, in my opinion. I had the same fears at first – I am incredibly triggery when it comes to the idea of weight gain, and I didn’t want that to happen at all. I have to say that I am in the best shape of my life right now. It’s crazy – my body had NEVER looked like this- and I eat a lot, and often! I LOOOVE 811 – it has truly liberated me from worry and anxiety about weight gain! Don’t stress, just enjoy your food, hehe. :-)

NYCgrrl – yay! So GLAD your period isn’t kicking your butt! Kudos for progress.

heyenglish – I am in the same boat with you as dressings; one of the reasons why I tend towards fruitarian eating with the most comfort. I will have to try the marinade you made as a dressing. I love spicy stuff.

Today:

Today I ate:

5 apples

7 bananas

1 pint cherry tomatoes

3 mangos

No idea about calories – what calorie counter as you guys using these days? I’d like to get more organized about my intake.

Exercise:

4 miles biked and

2 hours 45 minutes of hot vinyasa flow

• Hey everyone! I’m glad to see a NEW thread up. The last one was getting pretty intense. I think once a month would be a great idea to switch it up.

I’ve been raw since July 31st, a newb but loving it. I’ve been doing the beautiful High Fruit Low Fat diet for almost 4 weeks now. I love it, I’ve never felt better. I slipped up a little bit because I’m working at a raw restaraunt, MOTH, organic garden :) . (I don’t think I’m working on Wednesday, but maybe you will see me sometime soon! Glad to know there’s local’s out there!!) I actually didn’t have any extra water for almost 3 weeks until I ate some of the food and the salt immediately dehydrated me. They have RAWSOME food, but I don’t believe our species were made to eat it. So that’s tough. Fighting a battle whenever I’m at work, trying not to eat it. I think I finished it though. I indulged a little last night and got a headache. Which to me is a sign to not do that again!!!

Anyways, just wanted to say hi to everyone. Be good! Live, Love Peace

I use cron-o-meter, just because I can use it on my computer without having to be online or logged into something. The only thing it doesn’t do is track exercise. I’d highly recommend it!

How did you feel after all that yoga? It sounds soooo intense! I’m envious. I hit the gym on my lunchbreak to lift weights for an hour, and spent the rest of the day and evening working. Blah. Can’t wait to start my new job so I only work one job, not two!

Think I’m going to nibble on a date and call it a night. I wanna be able to run at least 4 miles before work tomorrow morning.

• BTW, has anyone else out there noticed how many fruit trees they have in their local area? I’ve never noticed it until now! My friend has a peach, pear, and couple apple trees, so that’s great. But besides that, I see apple trees (good ones, not bad tasting apples.) everywhere! I’ve also noticed that I have a bout a half billion cherry tree’s in my area and to top it off there are so many berries! Berry season is pretty much over, but still I picked a whole lot! (I’m going to work a few hours at a local farm to get free access to there late raspberry bushes!)

I’ve picked over 100 lbs of WILD apples! (Haven’t touched my friends, but I will!) I don’t know how many pounds of berries, but a whole lot. I’ve probably picked almost 100lbs of peaches too! I’ve saved sooo much money eating like this. No thanks to you, geico!

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

TreeofLIfe – you work at the Organic Garden?? Too cool! I’m very excited about my outing on Wednesday! I probably won’t be eating 811, but since I don’t do overt fats at any other time, I feel like it’s okay to splurge a little! Love that place. Have you gone to any raw meetups in our area? I am on the meetup email list, but I have yet to break my raw cherry and go to a meetup with other raw foodies! :-) Besides me and the owner of my yoga studio, I don’t really know anyone else in “real life” who is raw. One of these days I’ll get around to it because I’m starting to feel like I need to stop feeling like “I’m the only one,” LOL.

heyenglish – I took two classes today in the studio, one soon after the other – my first time to do that! The second class pushed me to my limit, but as I was already feeling stretchy from earlier, I allowed myself to be pushed. But I LOOVE how I feel right now – spent, but energized and relaxed! I was thinking I might try to do the same tomorrow; depending on how I feel. Must listen to that body of mine! hehe

Enjoy your morning run! Sounds beautiful in the encroaching autumn. (I’m becoming more accepting of the seasonal shift these days)

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Damn…I need to find some apple trees. I’m in Woburn – not too rural, but you never know.

• Don’t worry moth, they’re EVERYWHERE. I have family in melrose, and every corner was either a peach, cherry, or apple tree. They were everywhere! I don’t know if any tasted good but you never know. You just got to bite into it!

No, I haven’t been to any meetings. I’m constantly busy. I’m working often, and the rest of the time I’m out stocking up for winter! Trying to get as much food as possible before the off season. This is the reason why I’m moving to either Cali or Costa Rica! I need local food all year round. I hate buying foods coming 4000 miles just to get to me. I have to though, I feel as if those foods are made to be in my diet, and that I’m not in my correct element.

I don’t know if you know this, but Bitt is also a local. She’s not 811, but she’s rv! We should get together sometime. Maybe I’ll show you some apple trees! Or if your luckier, the cherries will ripen and we can get SOOO MANY CHERRIES! I need a partner you know! I can pick forever. I need someone that feels the same way!

• TreeOfLife – I have been picking wild pears, lately, and have been loving it! My little town used to be Pear orchards over 100 years ago, and there are patches left wild. Our town prunes the trees in Jan., and then in Aug. they spend a weekend picking pears and donating them to the local food bank.

There are still a lot of pears in the trees, although most of them are out of reach for me, so I have to get creative when I go on my walks, to pick them. I’m only picking a few at a time, but this week I plan to bring a big bag and pick a lot before they are all gone.

I made my new favorite salad: 1 cup mixed greens, 1 diced pear, 1 diced apple, 5 diced dried apricot and the dressing is 1 orange blended with 2 dates and a dash of lemon. The dressing ends up creamy and sweet, totally yummy.

I haven’t had time to track my food today, I need to start that up tomorrow. I had to take my car into the mechanic this morning, and while I was there, I dropped my breakfast smoothie, so I basically had 2 sips of breakfast. Not a good way to start the day.

I hope everyone has a good night and a great day tomorrow.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

TreeOfLife: Wow, that’s cool! I love Bitt’s posts! We should definitely meet up for a raw meal or two, hehe. :-) I love apples (had 6 for breakfast today!) so I’ll certainly be on the lookout for any rogue trees. I spend A LOT of money on produce; just those six apples (unsprayed/organic) were $5.50. It would be great if I could find some wild ones. I will CERTAINLY be a picking partner if you need one, LOL. During the summer, in August, I went wild blackberry and blueberry picking in New Hampshire. I was sooo content and at peace; I LOST MYSELF to the fields, simply partaking gratefully of Nature’s bounty, feeling so blissed out. I wish I could do that all the time. I have no problem spending hours and hours in that meditative natural space, doing as my ancestors have done before me for millenia: gathering food straight from the Earth. It feels so right.

I know what you mean about eating locally. It feels very wrong for me, askew, to eat tropical produce in Massachusetts; especially when it starts to get colder, but tropical fruits are some of my absolute favorites and are what keeps me raw at times. Like you, I have a dream of moving somewhere tropical, where I can be in my natural habitat. I was originally thinking Hawaii or California, but now I’m realizing I’d like to experience another culture while I’m at it and would prefer to explore another tropical country. I think of Peru sometimes, because the cost of living is so cheap there. Email: unfettered_moth@hotmail.com :-)

littlegems: oops; too bad about that smoothie! I’m sure the local wildlife will appreciate the offering though!

Hope everyone is having a great day! Will report back later.

• smoothie landed in the bathroom floor (I had it balanced in my purse while washing my hands… so it ended it’s life in the trash can. :(

I just got home from my morning walk and picking wild pears. They are my new favorite, in salad with orange/date dressing. yum.

Now, off to eat some honeydew melon, take a shower, and search for a job.

I hope everyone has a blissed out and harmonious day. :)

• MOTH, thanks for the comments. I seem to do well raw just a couple of days , then cooked, then raw.. i can’t seem to be consistent and it’s related to my emotions i think or feelings of “i need to eat something more substantial” LOL.

i shouldn’t get discouraged or upset if i ‘fall off the wagon’ so to speak. i do exercise (i exercise HARDER when i fall off the wagon).

i want this to be easy not hard LOL..i should just not stress about it.

thanks for listing your foods eaten. it helps. maybe i should do the same too.. and that way you guys can comment.

oh and i also use SPARKPEOPLE.com for my nutrition breakdown. I like SP. It’s a little heavy on Ads though.

figs – you definitely don’t need to be so hard on yourself. Sometimes you just need to look at your goals in a new light. For instance, instead of making it your goal to be 100% raw for the rest of your life (allowing no wiggle room, and therefore setting yourself up for failure), you should make your goal to be listening to your body’s needs.

It’s definitely difficult to get out of a “cooked” mindset. You get so used to feeling a little sluggish and so full when you eat cooked food that you expect to feel the same way when you eat raw. Hence your need to eat “more substantial” foods. Next time your mind tells you to eat something more substantial, ask it “what could be more substantial than this piece of fruit that provides me with more nutrients and vitamins than any cooked food?” ;)

As long as you’re meeting your caloric needs, you’re doing great!

I sat outside in the sun during lunch and ate two mangoes. Life couldn’t be yummier!

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Sounds BEAUTIFUL, heyenglish! I’m really gung-ho for mango! (I notice mango also makes my ‘man go!’ LOL I always take a poo after eating them)

Hope everyone is doing EXCELLANT!

figsandolives: Yep, heyenglish is right! Just be gentle with yourself during this time of transition. Glide through it, and know that it’s a process! Just being aware (as you seem to be!) and letting all the anxiety and stress go is what will help the most.

For me today:

Today, I ate:

6 small apples

10 medium bananas

8 cherry tomatoes

5 gold kiwi

3 mango’s

Exercise:

Bike 2 miles (got a ride home – it was raining)

2 hours 45 minutes of hot vinyasa flow

* For some reason, I wanted to do two classes again today, despite the fact that I had major tight and sore yoga-ass from yesterday and this morning! I’m so OCD! Everything becomes a habit. :-D

The English lady at work who is skeptical of everything I do, saw me carrying around my yoga mat at work. She HIGHLY disapproves of hot yoga -thinks it’s hard on the body because it’s too intense (or at least, it was for HER). She asked me today, “Are you going to ANOTHER class?!” And I said, “Yeah….I went this morning, but I think I’m going to go for it again this afternoon.” She looked me dead in the eye, and asked me in disbelief:

“What are you, a masochist?!”

LMAO!!! titters insanely YOU KNOW, I just might be!

hehehehe

Pleasant evening, everyone… I will sleep well tonight.

• Thanks heyenglish & Moth. I was just in a bad mood yesterday b/c of high fat, non-vegan day LOL. I know I need to keep reminding myself to be kind and loving to myself! Silly, But true.

Today, much much better, however the weather went crazy from pretty HOT last week, to a Wintry day today. I WAS COLD.

This is what I had throughout the day:

morning:

1 apple

2 bananas

5 peaches

2 pluots

several coffees with vanilla almond milk ( i no longer do soymilk )

evening:

large raw spinach salad with tomatoes, cilantro, carrot, celery.

Cooked brown lentils with Kale and stewed tomatoes dish. (DH cooked it, and he doesn’t know about my ‘raw goal’.)

78.2/16/5.8 for Carb/Prot/Fats

~1400 cals.

exercise

Note: unusual workout. Ran 7.3 miles at the gym, normally it’s 5.

My goal is really to do as high raw as possible, and stick to low fat to keep things easy. =)

Have a good night all.