Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

sept 811rv support group?

Comments

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Littlegems; that raw pizza sounds TO DIE FOR! Already looking forward to my next trip to the Organic Garden for some pizza, LOL.

Today I had:

The juice of 1 pineapple

The juice of 1 cantaloupe

4 bananas

3 apples

1 young coconut w/water and meat

3 oranges

And will probably finish off the day with some strawberries

Exercise:

3 hours vinyasa flow

4 miles biked

• hey can I jump in here? [ ;

I’ve been following 811 for awhile now. Though I started off with mainly the ratio in mind and still ate cooked. I’m at a point now where I can go full days raw as long as I can keep enough freakin bananas ripe lol.

today was pretty great

breakfast: 1 large cantaloupe

breakfast 2 the sequal: Juiced 1 head of romaine and 1 cucumber, blended with 8 bananas. filled me up for like 4 or 5 hours.

lunch: 1/2 a large papaya

mmm another lunch: 6 pears, also sampled for the first time a mangosteen! and a rambutan! the mangosteen gave me some kind of hot flash or somethin lol. was tingling a bit, maybe I’m allergic! but it was really good and I will probably continue eating them in the ambulance as I’m rushed to the emergency room heh.

dinner: same banana smoothie as before.

I doubt I’ll eat again tonight. I felt good today. had pretty good energy all day and only had 5 hours sleep! I usually get 9. and I feel good still into the night. I always feel better when I’m all raw. Yesterday I had steamed sweet potato with some avacodo and it felt so heavy and tired me right out. I’m glad I can feel the effects though now. Before I just would have felt tired and thought it was normal.

k I’m gettin tired, have a nice night everyone ;]

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Sounds awesome, dude. Glad to have you in here! The more the merrier.

• heyenglishheyenglish Raw Newbie

Welcome Sinz! Hope everyone had a great Monday!

So, I’m already not doing so great with my goals today. The eating part was a breeze, well, almost. I definitely had fat/salt cravings today, but that’s to be expected after eating lots of fat this weekend. Didn’t quite make it to the gym… or even outside. So, no exercise today.

However, Wednesday, I have a day off between my old job and my new job, so I’m gonna do twice the amount of weights that I usually do. I AM getting up tomorrow morning to run though. I’m going to bed early to make sure I do.

Eats for the day:

Breakfast – 3 bananas

Early lunch (I was starving!) – 5 cups of arugula, 8 cherry tomatoes, 2 cups of bean sprouts, and 1.5 bell peppers. I used the juice of two oranges as dressing.

Late lunch – 2 pears and 1 apple.

Evening snack – 2 apples.

Dinner – 2 diced tomatoes, 2 chopped dates, 1 tbsp of hemp seeds, a sprinkle of dulse flakes, and the juice of 1 lemon.

Stats: ~1300 cals, 89/7/4

• ya, welcome SinzOfMan – I could not possibly drink that much smoothie, nor make it all in one batch until I get my blendtec!

So, this morning I ate 3 cups of honeydew melon. :)

Snack was 1 nectarine.

Lunch was my left overs from yesterday: (blended tomato, eggplant, garlic, onion, basil, and olives (I know, I know, but I LOVE olives and they so make this dish perfect!) as a soup. I also dipped a cut up carrot into my soup to eat it. I ate most of 1 huge green apple, my daughter tried to eat half but it was too huge!

Snack was a big juicy pluot, a few nibbles of chia/hemp cracker

Dinner was a huge salad: 2 cups of lettuce, 1 carrot, 1 celery stick, 1/8 avocado, 1.5 cups of the tomato /eggplant blend as a dressing. so good. :)

I’m looking forward to my dessert once I get the kidlet to bed: I blended 6 bananas with 2 tbls. of raw cacao powder into my favorite pudding. It will be topped with 1 cup of blueberries. I promised her there will be some left over for tomorrow, so I can’t eat it all. :)

I got no exercise today, because she had a little cough and I kept her home from school. But I’m going to do the mini stepper tonight for about 30 minutes, longer if I can find the time.

I’m looking forward to my morning walk tomorrow in the fresh air on the beautiful trail, maybe pick a few more pears again.

I hope everyone has a great night.

• thank you everyone for inspiring me to get back into an exercise regime. I was doing so well before the summer hit, and then once school was out over the summer I pretty much stopped exercising. I prefer morning walks down my local trail, and when I couldn’t do that anymore since I couldn’t leave my daughter at home alone (and she doesn’t like to walk very far) I just stopped.

So, yesterday I did 30 minutes of my stepper, and about 20 minutes of yoga. I’ve been sporadic with my yoga practice over the past 20 years, and last year I was going once/week to Dawn Yoga, and loved it. But then when I first switched to eating a raw diet, I wasn’t getting enough nutrients and I almost fainted. I told the yoga instructor, and she told me I needed to eat meat… and wouldn’t give it up. I was so offended and basically, they lost my trust. I have since discovered that many consider Dawn Yoga cult status, and I haven’t wanted to go back.

So, I’m really excited to make a little space at home to practice yoga again, and work it into my daily routine. :)

This morning I just did the stepper while watching some of Jungle Book (my daughter is staying home today again). and I feel so alive.

So, my goal for the end of September is:
    • 45 minutes of stepper/ or walk for cardiovascular workout daily *30 minutes of yoga daily *100 sit-ups daily

I’m so far away from being able to do 100 sit-ups, but that’s my goal by the end of the month. I realize it is modest, but I just can’t devote more than 1.5 hours to exercise /day.

I’m about to go eat a huge plate of honeydew melon for breakfast – 2 cups.

littlegems – That is so fantastic! No goal is too modest. It’s so much better to start off with smaller goals that are achievable than to set impossible goals that just set you up for failure!

I copped out again this morning, and am quite mad at myself. I did actually wake up and get up at the right time, but I seem to be having some digestion issues today, so I didn’t want to be too far (i.e. 2 miles away) from the toilet. Gah! My stomach is gurgling uncomfortably as we speak.

We have guests arriving tonight, so I’m not sure how likely it is that I’ll get a chance to take a walk. I think part of me is a little apprehensive on how my new schedule will work out once I start my new job on Thursday. At this point, I have it down to fine art, so I know it’ll take a little adjusting to get into a new routine. I welcome change, but man, I don’t like it!

At least the food part is getting pretty easy!

So far today:

1/2 casaba melon for breakfast (my new fave melon!!)

Big salad for lunch consisting of 5 oz mixed greens, shredded carrots, chopped tomatoes, and red grapes with a dressing of 2 papayas, 4 strawberries, and the juice of 1 lemon. Deeeee-lish!

• hey heyenglish – good luck on starting your new job! What will you be doing? I’m sure there will be an adjustment on your routine, but you’ll get into the swing of things soon I’m sure.

Don’t be too hard on yourself about the exercise; when you’re not feeling well it is understandable.

take it easy.

• thx for the welcomes ; ]

heyenglish what’s a casaba melon like? I love melons! I’m always lookin to try new ones. I came across a crenshaw melon the other day and it’s my new favourite for now. kinda like a huge cantaloupe.

so I needed an afternoon nap today! after I ate my mango’s I got tired for some reason.

hmm what did I eat?

1 honeydew melon 4 mango’s 16 bananas 2 head of romaine (juiced) 2 cucumbers (juiced) 6 pears

I’m trying to take it easy on the exercise as I heal up my stomach, but I do bike every day. Usually to pick up food! I actually did some pushups today for the first time in awhile. could barely do 10 lol.

anyone else breaking out like crazy? I started getting acne on my forehead and chest, and my skin is really dry. I used to have really oily skin, now it’s too dry! I think it’s calming down a bit now. Atleast it’s not as inflamed looking. Don’t ya hate eating so healthy and looking like crap? lol… I’ll see someone eating McDonald’s with perfect skin and wonder how. Is fruit bad for the skin or something?

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

SinzOfMan – you are experiencing rapid detox – fruit is incredibly cleansing. I have heard of doctors warning people to take it easy with fruit because it can cleanse a person very quickly and in the body, the skin is a route of elimination for the nasties inside of you. When I go almost all fruit, I experience the same thing. It goes away after a period of time if you don’t change anything. In the meantime, I use tea-tree oil on the blemishes to dry them out fast (be careful with this stuff – potent) or I use lavender oil for a gentle, but similar effect.

Just today I was thinking about how lovely and glowing my skin looked; I looked fair and pristine – must be a “good skin day,” LOL. It didn’t look like that a week ago. I just grinned and bore it, because I want to detox. I bet if a Mcdonalds eater went on an all-fruit diet, they would detox through the skin too. But everyone’s body’s are different.

Yep, definitely nap if you can; if your body is asking for it. A LOT of housecleaning going on inside of you. I wish I could nap more but I have to go go go generally throughout the day – so I eat a lot of fruit to keep my energy levels up. Usually it is greens that makes me sleepy – I think because they are harder for my system to digest.

Today, for me:

6 oranges

5 bananas

5 apples

7 cherry tomatoes

6 gold kiwi

Exercise:

2 miles biked

3 hours hot vinyasa flow

Sinz – Casaba melon is a cross between honeydew melon and cucumber. It’s both sweet and savory; I just can’t get enough! What’s the crenshaw taste like?

MOTH – I have to agree that everybody’s body is different! Like, no matter what I do, I have a pretty slow metabolism and my body heals very slowly. I just hope that by being low-fat raw, these things will eventually improve!

So, the rest of my day’s food:

Dinner: 1/2 spaghetti squash (excellent noodles!! I think this will be a new staple), low-fat pesto (lots of basil and spinach, juice of half a lemon, 2 tbsp of hemp seeds, 1 clove garlic, and salt) with diced tomatoes and portabella mushrooms.

Dessert: 3 dates.

Snack: Thin cucumber slices sprinkled with cajun seasoning, sea salt, and black pepper (fabulous substitute for the chips I was craving that my guests were eating).

• heyenglish – your dinner sounds amazing; I’ll have to try it. I have a ton of pesto and tomatoes, and everything else but the mushroom. I’ll try that sauce next. :)

tonight I ate a salad: 1 beet, 1 orange, and 2 cups of lettuce 4 tablespoons of orange/lemon/date dressing.

snack: 2 bunches of grapes, 5 strawberries, 2 bananas, 3 dried figs, 1 chia/hemp seed cracker.

now… back to work.

• heyenglish- a crenshaw melon is kind of like a sweeter tasting cantaloupe. The flesh is a bit lighter but still orange, and the taste a bit less distinct. mmmm I might have to go pick one up today!

I’m just eating a cantaloupe now after doing some pushups and situps. lookin forward to seeing what raw vegan muscles look like heh.

• nycgrrlnycgrrl Raw Newbie

hey all! sorry i’ve been mia the last couple days-been so busy with my kids and homeschool. Been eating pretty well-a couplpe of slipups, some bites of a bagel and cream chees yesterday\-we were out all day at activities with the boys, and I didn’t bring enough food. But been staying pretty low fat overall, about 10-15%. I found my new favorite soup: tons of fresh tomatoes, sweet yellow pepper, 1 clove garlic and some salt..blend it up in the Blendtec til it’s still a bit chunky. I ate an entire Blendtec blenderfull yesterday, about 10 tomatoes and a whole sweet pepper. OMG so delicious!!!!!!!

I have decided to commit to the 1/2 marathon, so have begun training. Yesterday I did a slow 2 miles as that was on my training calendar, and today, i will do crosstraining on the elliptical with weights, and tomorrow a 5 mile tempo run. I have 10 weeks to train, ,so I am folllowing a training schedule from Smart Coach ( online thing).

Moth: are you getting enough calories? That doesn’t look like enough to me.

okay, i am just reading through all the posts I missed while MIA. It seems to me like nobody is eating enough calores: littlegems: are you tracking your intake? heyenglish: 1300 isn’t enough, especially if you’re exercising now (great job!!!)...Moth: you’re working out so much!!! can you eat more?

I think i am just noticing this because I know how hard it is for ME to get in enough calories. what’s everyone’s thoughts?

• nycgrrl – I know, I know. :( I have so much other computer work to do, that I keep forgetting to track my intake on my tracker… and then when it is a blended batch of something, I never know how much of each portion to put down.

My goal for today, officially track my intake, and eat enough calories. :)

I’m about to go for my walk, and then some yoga, sit-ups, push-ups (thanks SinzOfMan for the inspiration).

Breakfast will be 2 cups of honeydew melon.

nyc – good luck with your training for the half-marathon! A few years ago, when I first started running, I had running a half marathon as a goal, and then I let everything slide. Now that I’m “back in the saddle”, so to speak, I’m definitely starting to consider it again. I think I’m going to continue doing my thing this year, and then look into a local one for next year once everything settles down (i.e. I’m comfortable in my new job and I’ve moved out with my boyfriend).

And yeah, I know I’m kinda low on the calories sometimes. I did eat a bunch of crap and didn’t exercise at all last weekend, so one low-cal day didn’t seem that bad to me. Not to mention, I’ve been crazy detoxing the last couple of days, and there has been a lot of bloating and gas. Blech.

I feel fabulous today, though! And, since I had the time, I spent an hour at the gym, doing 1.5 times my usual weight work out since I slacked last week, and then I did a two-mile run on a local nature walk. This should ease me back into running tomorrow morning.

littlegems – the pesto turned out pretty good, but my only advice would be to grind the hemp seeds first. I’m going to try that tonight, and see if I can’t find some chemical-free sun-dried tomatoes to throw in it too. The squash is fabulous though! I’m turning into a squash freak lol.

Food so far today:

Breakfast – 3 bananas.

Early lunch – “Salsa and Chips”: 15 diced cherry tomatoes, 2 chopped green onions, 1/2 an ear of corn, 1 clove of minced garlic, sprinkle of salt, chili powder and cumin, and the juice of half a lemon with about 3/4 seedless cucumber cut up into thin rounds.

I’m about to crack up another casaba melon, too! Yum!

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

NYCgrrl – so glad to see you’re back with us! You’ve been in my thoughts…I’m excited for you to note that you’ll be running a marathon soon – that takes some gumption! I’m sure that 811 will help propel you throughout your training.

As for my calories – well – to be honest, I’m pretty broke right now, so I’m having a hard time buying food. I would definitely eat more if I could. Right now I’m kinda scrounging around for food – saw an apple tree today in my neighborhood that I’m going to forage tonight. I’ll keep an eye out at work for unsellable bananas. I still am unsure about how many calories I’m ingesting…what cal calculator do you find the easiest to use? I really need to become more aware of my cals.

I get paid on Friday – so only a few more days and then I’m back to my regularly scheduled eating. :-) I think I overspent the first part of last week and it threw me off.

Heyenglish – your dinner sounds sooo GOOD. You seem to get creative with your 811 recipes.

Nycgrrl – I will have to try that soup as soon as I get a chance, too…I just love blended tomatoes and sweet peppers!

Littlegems – I read you did yoga! AWESOME! Wishing you mucho energy for your work out today.

Everyone – have a great day!

• hello everybody I am just popping in on you guys to ask a quick question. I was wonder what the name of the diet is and who wrote it. Thanks, Em

• Emmie21 – the book is by Dr. Douglas Graham, called The 80/10/10 Diet.

Moth – I donwloaded the free tracker that elbow had suggested: cron-o-meter

Yikes: I just tracked my food intake so far today… and yes, it is low in calories! I had no idea that veggies were so low in calories! sheesh. I’ll post it all tonight, but so far, with breakfast and lunch, I’ve gotten most of my vitamins and minerals for the day (thanks to veggies), but have eaten only 773 calories!

I need to consume a ton of fruit for snack and dinner. :)

• Here’s what I ate today:

2 cups – Melons, honeydew 1 – Tomatoes 2 – Potato 2 – Oranges 1 – Lemons 5 sprigs – Dill weed 1- Beets 6 leaves – Lettuce 1 – Peaches 1 – Pluot 1 – Dates, medjool 2 – Apples 2 bunches – Grapes

and then for dinner we went out for burritos after soccer practice! It was 6pm, and we usually eat dinner around 5pm, and I promised for a special treat. Our friends came too. It was fun, and I feel great about it. It had been so cold at soccer practice, we were really cold. These burritos are the only cooked food I crave anymore.

so add to the list of what I ate:

1/2 cup of black beans, cooked 1/2 cup of cooked rice 1/4 cup of salsa 2 tbls. of guacamole small handful of shredded lettuce 1 tortilla

I don’t even feel guilty about it. If this raw diet is going to be my new lifestyle; it has to be flexible enough for us to do special things together, and for me to enjoy what I’m eating, and not wish I could eat something that I’m really craving, that isn’t too unhealthy.

so, my calorie intake was: 1567… but I haven’t had my night-time snack yet, when I take a break from my work (I work till 11pm or midnight every night).

littlegems-i totally agree about flexibility. I have 2 boys, and if raw is going to be my lifestyle, i have to be able to accomodate my kids and their desire for healthy cooked foods. Last night, we went to possibly the best vegetarian korean restaurant in manhattan to celebrate my wedding anniversary, and I ate cooked vegan foods-a seaweed salad and a Mongolian hot pot—a broth with veggies in it..so delicious. I stayed away from the rice and heavier stuff, but it was cooked, and that’s okay for me. Back to raw today.

• I’d like to think not all cooked food is poison lol. I mean, I can’t eat raw veggies, but steaming them helps break them down, make them softer. I either have to steam or juice veggies to get them in me. So if my bad habit is steaming vegetables, I don’t think I’ll be arrested for it!

Yesterday I ate 1 cantaloupe, 1 honeydew, 16 bananas, 2 heads romaine juiced, 1 cucumber juiced, 6 stalks of celery juiced, steamed squash and zucchini for dinner.

about 3000 calories. did a bunch of pushups, situps, biking. I’m getting more toned already it’s pretty cool.

I’ve been craving something salty lately. Sometimes, I just don’t want more fruit… but it’s hard because I can’t eat nuts or seeds, or any raw veggies, so no salads… I don’t digest those things well. I’m missing out on a huge amount of awesome raw food. It’s all fruit and smoothies right now and I don’t feel I’m eating balanced enough. But it might just be all in my mind who knows, I feel good. Though my teeth are really sensitive now. Seems like there’s more negatives than positives, but I’m gonna continue and see if this is a detox stage I can push through.

I’m gonna work out a bit and then dive into a honeydew ;]

• Hey, thanks everyone for not flaming me for my burrito addiction! :)

SinzOfMan – have you always been this way; as far as not being able to eat salads and raw veggies, or is it a newer issue? If it is more recent, then perhaps it is a detox thing…

So if you can juice it to drink it, can you also blend it and drink green smoothies? How are sea vegetables for you? I’m thinking of blending up zucchini and tomatoes into sauces and dips. How are the low glycemic fruits like tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, etc.?

I can totally understand needed a different texture sometimes. Even though dehydrating isn’t as healthy, and renders the food ‘unwhole’ according to 80/10/10, I do it sometimes just to add variety of texture to my meals. My daughter and I LOVE homemade fruit rolls, and I love to wrap a strawberry fruit roll around a banana and eat it like a burrito (yes, my burrito addiction).

What about dehydrating veggies slightly, so they become a bit softer? I don’t know, might be better than steaming as far as nutrient/enzyme loss.

But otherwise, I agree, eating steamed veggies and a bit of cooked food is better if it helps you continue eating 85% raw long-term.

Ok, I’m off to go on a walk and do some yoga/situps/ pushups

Have a great day everyone!

• nycgrrl – wow, congratulations on your wedding anniversary. How nice that you could celebrate with the whole family that way. It seems like Sept. has been a big month for you in terms of special occassions? Or perhaps I’m confusing you with someone else! Anyway, congrats!

Sept. 25 would have been my anniversary, had I stayed married. I suppose I should be celebrating the anniversary of my divorce however! :)

• littlegems- I went raw to heal this colitis up. So following certain advice I’ve received, I avoid raw vegetables cause all that fiber would scrape along in my colon and rough me up. I’m not even sure if blending is safe for me or not. I’m too scared to try so I just juice my greens.

This healing phase diet I’m in is pretty limited. I’m just hoping to see some improvement so I can ease my mind and know for sure this food is helping me get better. Then I can live with the limitations because I know it won’t be forever. But as of right now it’s all a big experiment.

today I’ve eaten a honey dew, couple of those banana smoothies I make, and 5 apples. I think I might make some steamed plantain and zucchini later. Not sure how that combo will work lol.

• SinzOfMan – I hope this diet helps you! that must really suck. I have a friend who’s son has Colitis, but they caught it early while he was just starting to eat solid foods. They put him on a limited diet, but it was mostly wild salmon, meat, etc. He’s actually much better, and has healed up very well. They are about to test him for colon cancer though, since apparently people with Colitis are at greater risk for it? Have you heard that?

It’s nice to see someone turning towards the fruit/veggie diet to heal up.

I really hope it works for you. Take Care

Sinz – good luck on your journey to health!

nyc – Congrats on your anniversary! The meal sounds delicious.

Little – just think how much healthier you are now having the occasional burrito or other cooked food, and eating everything else raw! As with everything in life, always look at the positive. :)

So, my first day of my new job started today… and eh. It’s a completely different office culture from my old job, so it’ll take me a while to adjust. This is my first cubicle experience, too. I’m planning on taking in pictures and articles to hang on my walls because it’s so depressing, otherwise.

Because my day definitely didn’t go as I had planned, driving home, all I could think about was a big plate of vegan garlic mashed potatoes (my ultimate comfort food!). I think part of it was me wanting something warm and hearty after being very out of my element (and frozen) all day. I stopped at the store, and picked up sweet potatoes instead. So I stayed totally raw :)

My food for the day:

Breakfast – 1/2 casaba melon

Snack – 2 bananas

Lunch – 2 diced mangoes, that were unfortunately unripe, so kinda unappetizing.

Snack – 2 apples and 2 pears.

Dinner – 1.5 sweet potatoes blended with water, a pinch of salt, 1/4 tsp of cinnamon, and 1.5 dates, and 1/16 cup of raw pecans. Massive salad consisting of one head of romaine, 1 grated carrot, 1.5 portabella caps, 2 cups of bean sprouts, 1/4 of a cucumber and a light dressing of lemon juice and salt.

Stats: ~1600 cals, 85/6/9

• heyenglish – I’m sorry your new job was a shock to your system. I used to work in a cubicle for about 6 years, and you get used to it. Hopefully you find some friendly cubicle mates to make your day more interesting and joyful.

Perhaps bring in a little basket that you can keep your daily fruit in on your desk… not anything huge, but it would be bright and cheery, and might help ripen the fruit that isn’t quite ready. Oh, and there are some inside plants that do fine without sunlight in cubicles. Or, a spider plant cutting in a vase of water (ask me how I know) :)

Sounds like you had a wonderful dinner though.

I forget what you said this new job entails… sorry, I’m a bit distracted and can’t remember.

I hope you find your groove soon.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Gotta make this quick…it’s waay past my bedtime.

I read everyone’s posts and just wanna say…everyone sounds like they’re doing awesome! Listening to their bodies and giving selves what they need…yay…

me: I stuffed myself today with fruit. Pounds of knobby green apples from an apple tree I frisked at 5AM this morning on the bike ride to yoga and work…I ate them for breakfast afterwards, 17 free bananas from Whole Foods – now devoured – a blood orange and 8 kiwi.

I think I definitely have eaten enough calories today -

But I have a question…I am not eating any overt fats right now, just fruit…so why do I feel so bloated, gassy and…”fat?” Am I just going through a “phase” I wonder? I FEEL fat, but it’s weird because my body seems like it’s changing shape/losing weight…

Oh well…I’m not gonna worry about it…

did yoga and biked as usual

see you guys later – I might be taking some time off from the internet over the next week or so. This weekend Im’ going to NYC for a party at the Chapel of Sacred Mirrors! :-D