Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

sept 811rv support group?

Comments

• wow….chuffed to bits that y’all are still flying the 811 flag…all power to ya

just finished my 10-day silent meditation course a few days back….really hard as usual…now it seems like i’m acting caretaker/manager of the centre….should be interesting considering my level of italian language is ZERO ...we shall see how it goes…’tis quite a responsibility

anyways, just wanted to say hi….i’m way outta the raw loop at the moment and 811 is like a distant ‘humm’ of a memory but this is nourishing other areas of my well-being…raw will wait (as it always does)

keep it up guys….i’ll get back on the train with you all in the future….keep the monthly support group going…it is really served well by this site and this community…no stress

oh…and a shout out to sinzofman…i recognise that avatar from gi2mr…glad you are still plugging away, bruv

peace to you all

:o)

with metta

elliot x

• hey el-bo! good to see ya man. these raw sites aren’t the same without ya.

and thanks for the encouragement everyone. they don’t call it a support group for nothin!

MOTH- do you eat much greens? sounds like you eat mostly fruit and you might just need some more greens to balance out. that’s all I can think of. I’m not sure what causes gas and bloating, it’s all a mystery to me! Did someone invent a camera pill yet so we can see what goes on in our stomachs?! are cameras raw? lol

• heyenglishheyenglish Raw Newbie

Today was much better at work, yay! I definitely think I’ll settle in there, although I’m always hesitant to tell anyone that I’m a raw vegan. I’m already the “odd person out” because they created a new position for me, and I work in the cubicles next to all the hourly people, while I’m on salary. I don’t want the raw food to make me even more different, and hinder making acquaintances with my coworkers. We’ll just see what happens.

Tonight I have a big family dinner, and we’re getting Chinese food. I’ll take it easy on the rice, if I have any at all, and just order a yummy veggie dish.

My food so far:

Breakfast – 4 bananas

Lunch – Soup made from 13oz of cherry tomatoes, 1 red pepper, 1 clove of garlic, and 2 tbsp of hemp seeds (thanks for the recipe nycgrrl!!)

Snack – 1 apple and 1 lb of green grapes

Have an excellent night everyone!

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Hey guys! I found out that it was poor FRUIT COMBINING that caused the pain and bloating and gas. I combined LOTs of bananas with LOTS of gold kiwi and a gastral explosion occured, LOL. I usually feel great with flat tummy on all fruit – but clearly if I’m going to do such massive amounts of fruit, they definitely need to be mono-meals at least 4 hours apart. I’m just not drawn to greens right now. All I want is sweet.

One raw food incident that occured today: I was totally cornered and lectured by two women at work who told me I would get bone disease and die from eating purely raw foods for too long. It was so outrageous, I’m making a new topic about it in more detail.

I’m going to NYC tomorrow, strawberry picking on Sunday, and will have a busy weekend, so I’ll talk to you guys next week!

• Hi Guys,

so grateful for all your feedeback x I am water fasting at the moment on day 13 and will be starting 811 rv as I re feed.

Can anyone offer any advice where to start? Which fruits etc?

I know I have to start back on foods slowly but wondered if there was a protocol for starting? ~I read that there was something about mono feeding in the first week, is that true?

I have ordered the book but live in the UK and it may not be here for a couple of weeks so am looking for tips to get started.

Any help is soooooooooooooooooooooo welcome.

Matty

• Hey everyone,

This is a lively 811 thread. Its so great to see so many posters for support and learn so much!

I have been raw for the most part about a year, this time.

I just had about 30, 40 days or so doing 811 . I lost weight and increased my workouts , often running 6 to 8 miles a day. Felt very healthy. I started having intense cravings for more complex raw recipes, out of the blue. I had a bit of raw pesto that I couldn’t get enough of, then some other raw things with salt , etc..I then wound up having a full blown SAD eating week.

I am looking at the fact that this is less of a problem for me with 811 or raw eating but an issue with food in general. I see SAD eating for me as an emotional and physical addiction to break. Obstaining and getting support as one does in 12 step ( I actually started go to the meetings) is the way to go.There’s a lot of thoughts about eating as an emotional outlet, whether its eating raw fats or salty fords, or sad foods, etc.

Any thoughts here?

Here’s to my 2 steps forward.

• Matty, I don’t know much, since I’m new at this… but I’d think it would be best to start with sweet fruits like bananas and sub-acid fruits like: grapes, apples, pears, plums, peaches, etc. Melons might also be good, but you should eat them alone, and don’t combine with any other fruit.

Green smoothies would be what I’d start with.

congratulations on your amazing water fast!

• Shazzz – I’d be gentle with yourself. I think we’ve all been there. I get so tempted when I prepare my daughter’s cooked vegan food. If I take 1 bite, then I tend to want to keep eating it.

I’ve found that eating closer to the 811 diet has helped me eat simpler, and not crave the other stuff so much. And when I do crave it, or if there is a special occasion, I am letting myself eat it once in while.

You might want to just start by eating simple salads and fruit; one meal at a time. Keep a nice dip on hand to snack on with veggies, or even a raw bread /cracker if that is what you like to snack on. Have something raw ready when you need to snack.

• I know I’ve posted here and there, but I am committing myself to 811 on Tuesday and plan on going 100 days (until December 31st)! I’ll definitely be posting more often for support~

• Hi KAIT – Welcome! I look forward to seeing more of your posts here. I hope you have a smooth transition. Just curious, have you read the book yet? It helped me a lot.

• Thanks, littlegems! I have read the book and had dabbled in 811 sporadically throughout the past couple months. I feel my best when adhering to the guidelines and eating simply. I’ve read that 811 is also great for weight loss, which is an ulterior motive of mine. I’m hoping by listening to my body and eating fruits & greens – my weight will stabilize. :-)

Welcome to our new peeps – mattydean, shazzz and KAIT! :)

Yesterday turned into a full-blown SAD day, but I’d been craving vegan garlic mashed potatoes for an entire week now, so enough was enough and I made some. And oh, how divine they were. Later in the evening, I started attacking the jar of peanut butter I never threw out. I guess it could’ve been much worse, and I’m not gonna beat myself up over it. I did enjoy those things. But, because I know how my body likes to react to cooked food, I’m just going to water fast today.

Next week, I have to go out for two work-related lunches. I get to choose the restaurant for one of them, so I’m definitely finding a place with yummy salads, and I’ll bring my own dressing. I don’t know that I’ll get so lucky with the other lunch, which is tomorrow. I’m just going to bring an 811 salad dressing with me, anyway, in the hopes that there will be a salad wherever I go. Looks like my boyfriend gets back in town next week too (yay!), but that always means more cooked food. Gah! This is the point where I wish RAW was a little more mainstream. I’ll just go with the flow, and tend to my cooked food hangovers if I really can’t avoid it.

Hope everyone’s enjoying their weekend!

• Thanks, heyenglish. Glad you enjoyed your mashed potatoes – sounds delicious. Good luck with the lunches this upcoming week.

Although I’ve read 80/10/10 before, I just purchased the book through Amazon so I can have a copy here at school to refer back to if necessary.

I just went food shopping to pick up some produce to bring back to my dormitory for the week. I’m trying to make sure I have fruits & vegetables readily available so I don’t stray from the plan (lol).

• heyenglish – dude… me too!!! As much as I enjoyed my burrito with my daughter last Wed… it has made me crave SAD vegan food. ack, I wish I could just enjoy a little bit and then get back to my regular eating habits without the additional cravings! I ended up eating blue corn tortilla chips, and even freakin’ pizza because my daughter really wanted it… but then didn’t like it. I can’t stand to through away food, and dang if I didn’t eat it. :(

So, I think I’m going to have to be more strict with myself.

Good news is, I talked to my favorite organic fruit vendor at my Farmer’s Market and worked out a deal with them. I bought a box of white peaches, nectarines, pluots, and grapes – 25 lbs. for $25! So now I can get that discount each week, $1/lb.

So now I don’t have to worry about how much it will cost to eat all of this fruit. :)

• Littlegems, that is so amazing! How did you go about negotiating like that? Making a deal like that with the small market where I purchase my fruit would be a dream come true.

• Kait – it was a dream come true for me. I usually spend about $20 with them each week, for 10 lbs. of fruit, since it is $2/lb. I read here that someone was suggesting making deals at farmer’s markets, esp. at the end of the markets when they want to sell everything for the day.

Well, we tend to go earlier in the day to the market, or else they run out of some of our favorites, and just the timing of things we can’t go at the end. So I just thought I’d ask. I asked her if they give discounts for buying in bulk amounts. I told her that I eat all raw foods and need to eat several lbs of fruit/day. She told me about the 25 lb. boxes that she could sell for $1/lb, and we got to pick which types of fruit we want (my daughter is a white peach lover, I’m a yellow nectarine lover, and we both love grapes and pluots). So she told us to come back while they packed it and we finished our shopping.

I was going to ask the organic apple seller, but he had a crowd there and mentioned to me that he was having a bad day (traffic and got there late, and his scale was broken so he had to borrow another one, etc.) so I didn’t want to throw him a curve ball. I’ll ask next week though.

Give it a try, it can’t hurt. Especially if you plan to buy in bulk regularly, I’m sure they’d welcome it.

• oriori

Hi everyone, I just finished reading the book and the idea makes a lot of sense to me, I would really like to try that for a whoile and see how I feel. Do you take newbies?

• Hey ori! I’m a newbie to this, too. I’ve been welcomed with open arms and I’m sure you will be as well.

• Hi Ori, welcome! heck, I’m a newbie too! September is my first month at trying 811, and I’m still transitioning to raw foods in general since last April. Everyone is welcome here. :)

Welcome Ori! Anyone and everyone is welcome here. I think the more support we all have, the better.

I started out with good intentions of just doing a water fast today… and then spent a good two hours fantasizing about black bean and corn salsa. So, uh, yeah, totally gave in. Add in some organic tortilla chips, roasted garlic hummus, and a frozen veggie loaf and mashed potato (vegan) dinner, and I totally fell off the wagon this weekend.

On the plus side, I feel absolutely awful now. Heavy bloated stomach, slight headache, and no cravings, whatsoever (other than wanting a completely empty stomach). I’ve abused my body today, and not just with cooked vegan food. That in and of itself isn’t so bad. But, I overate like crazy, and resorted back to a not-so-healthy mindset concerning food.

Soooo, I’m setting some goals for this week:

1. Address the mentioned behavior/thought issues because I had been making such great progress, and I want to continue making that progress.

2. Exercise everyday! I’m not setting a time limit or type of exercise for this week. I just need to get back into getting up and moving about before work. No excuses.

3. 100% raw for the week, regardless of social situations. I blended a large sweet red pepper with 2 small apples to make a yummy dressing for tomorrow’s lunch and whatever salad shall await me. It doesn’t matter what my coworkers may think. My health is more important than their opinions. :)

Time for me to crawl into bed so I can start tomorrow fresh. Good night everyone!

• Heyenglish – your salad dressing sounds yummy! I hope my falling off the wagon didn’t put thoughts into your head to fall off too! sheesh, maybe it’s the changing of the seasons that made us crave warm cooked food? I don’t know, but I wish you a pleasant and totally raw day tomorrow.

I’m hoping to get there too.

I’m about to do a bit of exercise now, and then off to make a bunch of jewelry and NOT SNACKING on anything but fruit and veggies.

Have a great night everyone.

• oriori

Thanks everyone, I’m really excited to be here! I was wondering how much water you guys drink during the day- when eating fruit (that have lots of water) do you really feel an urge to drink? I found myself in the last couple of days not drinking almost anything

• Ori – I find myself not as thirsty during the day, so I forget to drink… but then I feel very thirsty and dehydrated at night, and can’t quite get right. I think it is still important to keep drinking as much water as I can each day to make up for so many years of living dehydrated.

• So today is my first day back with 811. I’m just going to stick to mono-meals of apples today. My body needs a rest from all the SAD I’ve been eating lately.

Breakfast – 4 apples Lunch – 3 apples Dinner – (hasn’t come yet, but more apples)

After reading a few of the threads on this forum, I’ve started to get concerned about my calorie intake. Do you all record the amount of calories you consume daily? According to CRON-o-meter, I’ll need to eat seven or more apples before the night is over just to get over 1300 calories.

• KAIT – enjoy those apples!

I’ve gotten lazy, but I’m trying to track my intake daily… not just calories; I’m learning a lot about the nutritional values of each food I eat.

I don’t mono meal, I love to combine 2 or 3 items to make new tasty combinations. My current favorite is nectarine and pear…

• oriori

oh wow, I’m having a hard start- I find it pretty difficult to give up on fats and I seem to have been eating too much overt fats today. This is the first time I’m posting here, could anyone reply on my menu? Morning: green smoothie (kale, spinach, banana, melon, grapes)( lunch: 1/2 papaya, 1 mango, 1 nectarine afternoon snack: this is where my problem was! What could one snacl that is not a fruit? (I really couldn’t take anything sweet)- so I ate 2(!) handful of nuts! Dinner: 2 tomatoes and a few olives (I think i was 8 or something).

Any tips? That could be very helpful Thanks|!

• I’d fill up on veggies instead of the nuts. I like to make a sauce/dip out of tomatoes, eggplant, garlic, and olives… totally yummy as a dip for carrots/celery, alone as a soup or with corn on top, or as a sauce over shredded squash for a raw pasta. You don’t have to stop eating your raw veggie dishes, the book says you can eat as many veggies as you want. So to fill up without eating nuts, you might want to snack on more veggies.

I’d be careful with your combining, because melon is best eaten alone to not give you gas/bloating etc.

Also, add in some nice salads, at least 1 /day. I like to put apples and pears, or other yummy fruit on top of a bed of lettuce and blend up a nice orange/date dressing.

This is not something you have to jump into 100% immediately. Go easy on yourself, and listen to your body. I’m finding that when I stray from this diet, my body doesn’t do so well and I learn my lesson. I try to eat what my body tells me I should be eating. course, I fall off the wagon like most of us here; it is a process.

• Hello everyone! I would love to jump in here. I hope it’s ok with you all? I’ve been experimenting with 811 for over a year now. Over the last few months I’ve kept the ratio with a few cooked meals thrown in. I now feel ready to fully commit! This thread is great and I’d be happy to continue in October. I wanted to ask you all if you stick to only organic produce? At times I find that organic variety is not that great and so then supplement with some conventional fruit (not veges). Yesterday I had a bad reaction to a conventional mango in the morning, which pretty much knocked me out for the rest of the day (I’m super sensitive). I’ll be in France for a week and am quite nervous on how I’ll get by there – am hoping to find good quality fruit & veg. Also, I’ll be with “fine dining” lovers, so I’ll be sure to find myself in many a fancy smancy restaurant….eeeeeek. I’ve decided to not really care what others think and do what works for my body. So here goes…my first official 811rv day. I know that there really is nothing better! Lotsa love to you all! p.s.: I’ll be going overt and date free for a while. I’m hoping to reach quite a few goals. Wish me luck.

• Nicky – welcome! I’m a broke college student so I am basically living off (mostly) conventional fruits. I have yet to have a bad reaction and I figure that conventional fruit is still fruit and much healthier than the crap I’ve been eating. I’ve never been to France, but sounds like a wonderful trip. Hopefully, you can avoid all the croissants & pastries (not sure about France, but I know when I went to Spain – these things were very hard to avoid!). Since your body feels best on 811, sticking to it might make your vacation THAT much better. :-)

Yesterday, I filled up on fruit until about 6 p.m. Once the evening comes around, I CRAVE cooked food. I guess that’s still part of my transitioning and I’m hoping to get over this in time for October 1st. I forgave myself and am starting again today.

My plan for today –
    [x] Breakfast: 5 bananas (I haven’t had bananas in SO LONG and wow, I forgot how cheap & delicious they are.)
    [ ] Lunch: 1 baby watermelon
    [ ] Dinner: 5 oranges

Calories – ~1315
    Ratio – 91:06:04 (I know this doesn’t add up to 100% LOL, but I think CRON-o-meter rounds so I’ll just use what it tells me.)

Hope everyone is having a good week. xo

• welcome to the new folks ;]!

just ease into it guys. I found in the beginning, my stomach wasn’t big enough to fit that much fruit in to get all the calories I need. So I needed a cooked meal at night. Now I’m past that point, my stomach has stretched and I can now fit in a 9 banana smoothie a couple times a day. Bananas are one of the keys in starting this diet off right. They are cheap and high in calories.

So in the beginning if you still need some cooked food, don’t beat yourself up! just keep adding more fruit and your stomach will stretch. And don’t worry it’s not a noticeable pregnant look lol..

You will crave cooked food until you can eat enough fruit and veggies to fill you up so use that cronometer to see exactly how many calories your eating. I did that for my first couple of weeks and I don’t need to check in anymore. I know I ate like 1800 calories in bananas alone today lol. along with a couple heads of romaine, some cucumbers, and that cantaloupe for breakfast. Was a good day of food ;] I may have some steamed plantain and avocado later. I haven’t had any overt fat in 5 days and I kind of want to see if this avocado makes me feel weird.

good luck everyone! and remember… eat what you enjoy, don’t enjoy what you eat!. k that went horribly wrong but I’m not deleting it lol