Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

sept 811rv support group?

Comments

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Hey everyone…just checking in…

I’ve fallen off the 811 path the past two days! On Sunday, while in NYC, I ate my first Durian fruit, which was a strange experience to say the least. I ate half of it! It’s definitely best shared with a friend.

Then yesterday, returning home, I felt depressed,and tried to stifle my depression with copious amounts of raw pumpkin seeds (salted) and 2 avo’s worth of guacamole, with lots of celery. I felt pretty bloated after that…

But tonight I really did it. I was needing “comfort food” again. I knew perfectly well that I would feel sick, but nonetheless, I went out to a raw cafe and got LOTS AND LOTS of raw fatty dehydrated foods.

I’M DONE – I can’t eat there any longer. It hurts my body and my wallet wayyy too much.

I can’t wait to get back to 811 tomorrow. But I believe I will do an orange juice cleanse first. I really need it.

So that’s where I’ve been, LOL.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Still doing yoga though! Gets me through the “fat” times.

• Hey you all,

well i am still back on track. Over eating but its mostly non fat and all raw.

I agree with you little gems. Why can’t going off just be one little thing?? It seems to spiral. its like there’s a gate-way food and i am off. thanks for the encouragement too, i will stay gentle with myself. You stay gentle with yourself too. I do think food is an addiction for me. I do not eat merely because i am hungry!I really like the 12 step philosophy , has helped to put the food stuff in its place and help to keep me centered.

So great to have more voices on here.Welcome all!

• MOTH – it sounds like many of had that kind of week this week! maybe something with the change in seasons? I hope you feel better and enjoy your orange juice.

I just had the best experience. For the past year, I’ve been pretty lonely because not only am I a single mother who hasn’t had a date in 6 years, but my best friend moved away last year. I live in a somewhat clicky town where people are nice and friendly as acquaintances, but it rarely moves beyond that.. especially because I don’t have a make counterpart for dinner parties, etc. weird, I know, but whatever.

So, we’ve become pretty good friends recently with a family from my daughter’s old preschool, and Tuesday nights have become our potluck night alternating houses, since her husband comes home late from work on Tuesdays. Our girls play for hours, and we have a blast. My interest in raw cuisine has inspired her to go back to eating mostly raw again! She used to be into it years ago when she lived in San Francisco, and actually worked for Juliano in his restaurant! So now I have an irl raw friend! I’m in heaven. She made an awesome fruit salad, and I made squash pasta with marinara sauce on a bed of mixed greens. yum. She brought wine, so oh well, I drank some wine. But I’ve been good all day except for that.

I think we’re going to do this weekly, or at least most Tuesday nights. how cool is that?! :) Sorry for being so long-winded here, but as I said before, I don’t have a lot of friends here to share my excitement with.

I hope everyone has a great night.

• That’s great littlegems! I feel your excitement! I’d love to find a like-minded raw friend in my area.

Onto day 3 and feeling really great. Been overt free, eating mainly mangos – lots and lots of em. Will start upping my greens and vege intake.

Some changes I’ve noticed: improved energy levels and general feeling of wellbeing, less need for sleep (6-8 hours as apposed to 8-10 hours), increased mental clarity, overall improved emotional wellness and positivity, less attachment to food. I remain so much calmer in times of stress. Also, on 811, I feel a feeling of bliss and just loving live.

These changes have not just happened over the last 2 days. I’ve been eating high raw for years now and 811ing (far from perfectly) for over a year now. I’m now just paying more attention to how it’s affecting me.

Flying to France this evening. I’ll do the best I can there….am quite nervous.

How you guys all doing????

Hugs,

Nicky

• heyenglishheyenglish Raw Newbie

littlegems – I’d be excited too! Friends are so important, and having a raw friend makes life so much easier! You’ll have to start posting some of your 811 recipes for us :)

Nicky – Good luck in France! Don’t you just love the way 811 raw makes you feel?! I was loving it too, until I fell off the wagon big time. Part of me just wishes I’d eaten too much raw fat, not indulged in cooked vegan. Ugh.

I’ve felt like crap all week because of overeating and cooked food. Not a good combo. (I’m hoping the weight gain will drop right off again). And of course, when I feel like crap, all I want to do is eat comfort foods, even if I know they’ll screw me up even more. I’m sticking to all fruit during the day, and then I succumb to cooked in the evening. I did at least keep the cooked food low-fat last night.

Anyway, I have a ton of food in my house (all raw, and all my favorite things), and my boyfriend returns from a month-long trip with the promise to make us a raw dinner tonight, so I will have a completely raw day :) I just have a feeling the dinner won’t be 811, but I’ll enjoy it nonetheless.

I’m also hoping that some physical activity with my boyfriend all weekend will inspire me to get back outside and back in the gym! ;)

Just wanted to check in with everyone.

• hey how goes it everyone?!

awesome you met a raw friend littlegems! sounds like so much fun. hope you guys have lots of laughs in the kitchen ;]

last 2 or 3 days I’ve been soooo tired… I’m sleeping 9 or 10 hours a night, and sometimes another 2 hour nap during the day. Most important thing though is my stomach is feeling great! If my body needs sleep, then sleep it will get. Sleep is the number 1 best healing tool we have.

I’m living off basically melons and banana smoothies and it’s driving me a little crazy but it’s ok. Sometimes I just don’t crave fruit, but the second I put some in my mouth it’s like… mmmmmmm! So the cravings can’t be a physical need, more emotional.

I feel I have an unfair advantage sticking to this diet though. I know if I stop, I’m in for serious pain and any slip up I have can possible set me back 2 weeks in healing. Failure isn’t even an option.

So what motivates you guys? I was pretty much forced into this way of eating so I really respect you all for having the discipline and will power to go against society (the freaks) and self motivate yourselves to a healthier lifestyle. It’s great!

k cyallater

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Heyenglish! I know how you feel. My belly and body is STILL bloated and “fat-feeling” from all the overt fat I’ve gorged on the past few days. I wonder if there is a way I could help myself feel better, faster. I was thinking about juicing, but I feel like I don’t have the stamina to do that, so I’m just sticking to sucking the juice out of oranges with minimal fiber.

I am out of money now and I only have a big box of oranges, 1 watermelon, and a box of unripened mangos, so I figure I’ll be mostly mono-mealing over the next week. Should be getting another big box of oranges in this weekend. Yay.

I hope the “weightiness” will go away, with time. Exercise (yoga for me) definitely helps my energy feel better.

• nycgrrlnycgrrl Raw Newbie

sorry i haven’t been around-for some reason i haven’t been able to log on to goneraw for like a week. i will read all these posts and catch up!

last night had a cooked vegan meal, but i could barely have more than a few bites, but i still feel bloated today.

• I need to get back to tracking my food intake, but I’m pretty sure I’m getting enough calories, and I was keeping to 811 until yesterday. Being Wed., I started craving burritos again, which is what our routine had been after soccer practice. So, to ward off my cravings, for lunch I made a yummy batch of quacamole and ate a raw “tostada” (lettuce, tomato, quac, and sprouted mung beans… it was so yummy. By dinner time, I still wanted to go get burritos, but my daughter was exhausted and we just needed an early mellow night and get her straight to bed. So I ended up eating another one of my “tostadas”, but added some cooked organic black beans (my daughter eats cooked beans every day so I always have some on hand). OMG, it totally satisfied my craving… that and a few of her blue corn tortilla chips (but not more than about 10 chips!). I felt great since, not bloated, no other cravings, no weird cooked food hang-over.

So far this week, that’s my falling off the wagon, so I’m feeling pretty good about it.

SinsOfMan – to answer your question about motivation, I think for me I just want to eat the optimum nutrition and feel great. Honestly, I don’t think I’m cut out of 811 100% though. I think I’m striving for it now for optimum healthy, since I’d been on a bad nutrion track for a long time, but long-term I think I’m going to find a balance of including some days of more overt fats like coconut butter and avocados, because they make me feel great and I love how they taste. I also plan to find a balance of about 80-95% raw, with allowance for yummy cooked vegan food when it seems appropriate in my life, espciall in social occastions.

But for now, striving towards 811 is helping overcome my horrible cooked /processed vegan eating habits from so many years ago… it’s helping me reaclimate to a new norm.

I hope everyone has a great day!

• I’m glad to hear everyone is doing okay. I’m still overwhelmed by the correct calorie intake I need. My BMR is around 1600, which would be the amount of calories I need if I were sedentary! Because I’m active I need more than that, but I’m still looking to lose a lot of weight so I don’t know what to do! lol I can’t handle it.

Today, I got really discouraged and gorged on junk food. I think my ratio was about 55:14:31 :-O I guess I’ll just have to get back on track tomorrow.

Hey everyone. Great question Sinz! My answer is that I love to see how much I can achieve, and what I can push my body to do… and raw, and now 811 is one of those things. Going vegan almost 2 years ago was a mental challenge for me, and I loved every minute of it! Now that I’m reading Dr. Graham’s book about 811, I really don’t wanna eat all that cooked food because I know what it’s doing to my body… but, I still have emotional food issues to work on, and I need to readjust my thinking somewhat. So, 811 raw is going to be a big challenge for me, but I’m enjoying all the benefits (when I stick to it!)

Yesterday, I did slip up and ate some vegan sushi and some chips and salsa at lunch (I have no idea what the salsa craving is, but it’s there, everyday. Yesterday was my last day for store-bought salsa though. I’m making my own, raw version from now on, and using cucumber slices with salt for chips. Potatoes, as much as I love you, I can’t keep up the affair. It’s me, not you!)

But, other than that, I had a mango, banana, and romaine smoothie for breakfast, a banana and romaine smoothie in the afternoon, and then my boyfriend made a delicious raw dinner for us: Asian Salad (red lettuce, bok choy, daikon radish, carrots, snow peas, and bean sprouts) with a Coconut-Ginger-Cilantro dressing and a mango-raspberry-coconut sorbet for dessert. It was totally divine! And so wonderful not having to make food for myself.

We’re meeting for lunch at our fave Indian restaurant today, but other than that, everything else will be raw. I’m getting myself back into the raw mindset so I’m raring to go on October 1st (good time to make another commitment, plus I should have gotten all my eating social requirements taken care of by then!)

Have a kick-ass Friday everyone!

• heyenglish, that sounds like a yummy dinner! I hope you enjoy your Indian food… I love it too, but be careful with the fat intake, it may set your stomach a twirling!

I have a super busy day today, teaching my first official kindergym class not as a sub (preschoolers), price my jewelry, pack up my show stuff, load the car, pick up my daughter from school at 3pm, drive to Berkeley to pick up our CSA bin, let her play on the monkey bars (her favorite part of the week), and then head back home to set up for Sat. show by 5 pm. I’m not going to set up, but I’m going to bring my tables, umbrella, displays, etc. So since it’ll be so busy, I already promised we’re eating burritos at our favorite place tonight.

Sat. morning she has an 8am soccer game, then we race to set up for the Art Festival which starts at 10am! I’m going to pack a ton of fruit, a green smoothie, and a salad, and hope to find time to actually eat some of it!

I probably won’t be able to be back online here until Sun. Hope you all have a great few days.

• It’s nice to meet you all. It was nice to reed your conversations and see that everybody have their ups and downs as I do. I started my raw journey 5 years ago and about 2 years ago I was happy to discover 811. That has been my gide line since. I have never counted my calories, I am just too lazy for that, but I think by help of listening to my body i really found my balance. Besides I never had a problem with not eating enough because I has always eating a lot and lot. I think I was starving in one of my previous incarnations if you believe in reincarnation. I can eat enormous amounts of food especially fruit.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

How is everyone doing? I drank pure raw fruit juices all day yesterday; apple and then pineapple. Today I am mono-mealing on watermelon.

I really feel okay – better then I have in days.

• oriori

Oh wow, weekrnds are always so hard for me but this weekend is just going grteat: I’ve strted the morning with a green smoothie made of kale, banana, apple and grapes. At lunch I ate 1/2 papaya, 1 mango, 2 nectarines, 1 tomato and 1/2 an avocado

For the evening I’m planning on eating zuccini pasta with tomato-pepper sauce. Yumm! MOTH- I thought the book really was against just drinking juice, and pro eating them whole. Otherwise it really might drive your blood sugar crazy! How’s everybody doing so far this weekend?

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Ori – I know that juicing isn’t strictly 811 – but the most important and vital thing for me right now is not indulging in overt fat – for cleansing. I definitely felt a lot better after my little juice cleanse.

Now I’m feeling fruity. :-)

today was a bad day—i had a day long craft meeting with about 50 other women,a nd while i brought stuff to eat, the food table was FULL of pasta salad, cookies, chips, sodas…blech. I ate a small amount of chips and a candy (!!) as well as some pasta. Not tons, but I did eat some.

Ah well, back on track tomorrow!! And tomorrow I go hear Dr. Graham speak at Bonobos in Manhattan..totally psyched!

today was a bad day—i had a day long craft meeting with about 50 other women,a nd while i brought stuff to eat, the food table was FULL of pasta salad, cookies, chips, sodas…blech. I ate a small amount of chips and a candy (!!) as well as some pasta. Not tons, but I did eat some.

Ah well, back on track tomorrow!! And tomorrow I go hear Dr. Graham speak at Bonobos in Manhattan..totally psyched!

• In my country and I think in many places this is a great season for pumkin. They are so good and yummy! Right now I use them everywhere – in my fruit smoothies and green smoothies, raw soups and salads. I made cookies with pumpkin and I am going to make pumpkin pie for my friends. I also use alot of local berries I even do not now English names for those. Like wild cranberries, bilberries, sea buckthorn, rowan. combination of those with some dates, and I also still use some honey, are so good.

well, let me just say FOOD HANGOVER today from my indiscretions yesterday. I feel tired and foggy, even though i slept much more than usual. i am craving a cup of coffee, and i can see where the vicious cycle would resume itself. I had a 4 banana smoothie with cacao this morning, lunch was a huge salad at bonobos, 3 clementines, and dinner will be celery soup. Will be around 20% or so fat for the day, i think, as the celery soup has a bit of avocado in it.

Man, it’s taken me until today to even begin to feel better from indulging in crap on Saturday. Today I had a big banana strawberry cacao smoothie for breakfast, a huge salad for lunch with romaine, tomatoes and a bit of oil, and for dinner I am going to have more fruit and some dandelion greens.

My face is still breaking out something wicked!!!!

• For anyone that got to see Dr Doug Graham, can you write as much as poss about the content of his talk. Would have loved to have gone!

I know I haven’t really been around the last few days, but I’m struggling with staying raw at the moment, let alone being 811. I’ve been reading everyone’s posts, and I’m psyching myself up to start anew tomorrow (October 1st).

I’ve told all my friends and family that in order for me to really see how 811 affects me, I need to give it a total, dedicated month. Which translates into going light on the social food commitments. They all seem pretty understanding and supportive. :) I’m reading the book everyday at lunch (at a local park in the sunshine, which makes me feel so good), so I feel more prepared than ever. I am going to make one concession, and that is for the occasional baked potato. I know Dr. D isn’t really fond of starches, but I seem to be craving them all day every day at the moment… and it seems that denying myself makes me crave them that much more. So, I’ll give myself that option. At least it’s still low-fat!

I’m ready to feel and see the benefits of 811 – clear, pretty skin (man, my forehead is gross right now), healthy weight-loss, excellent muscle-gain, increased energy, and a need for less sleep.

• hi everyone! I’m finding similar feelings heyenglish. I am still craving black bean, rice, lettuce, salsa, and guacamole burritos, and that has always been my family’s special going out to dinner treat… and I will not stop. Once /week at most, like last night I worked at a kid’s birthday party and my daughter was a great helper. It was 6:30pm when we were doing cleaning up, and we were very hungry since we usually eat dinner at around 5:30. So we went out to eat burritos. But other than that, I don’t crave anything else cooked, so I figure as long as I don’t eat the chips (which does lead to other cravings) I think I’m ok.

As much as I’ve enjoyed this support group thread, I don’t feel like I fit in. I don’t buy it 100% that eating a little bit of cooked food, a little bit of coffee, or a little bit more avocado or coconut is going to be soooooo horrible for me. I am striving to find a diet that I will thrive on, and not feel limited. I want to eat this way forever, that includes going out to restaurants occasionally, that includes eating at social events, and that includes certain foods that I love that I love to share with my daughter.

I feel ok with eating 90-95% raw.

I turned to 811 to help me feel ok about eating a mostly raw diet which doesn’t include nuts (because of my daughter’s nut allergy). So from that standpoint, it was very successful. I have faith that by eating mostly fruit and veggies, with a bit of sprouted grain and the occasional cooked food will bring me the proper nutrition. I just don’t want to be obsessing about what I can and cannot eat.

I’m sure I’ll still visit this thread, because you all are so awesome.

take care! :)

• Did anyone reading go to see Dr Graham in NYC? If so,once again, please let us know your thoughts,etc …Thanks.

• Here’s a really good view of Dr. Graham in New York:

http://rawvelations.wordpress.com/2008/09/29/i-...

• Hey MOTH! I think it might be interesting for you. I have problem with sensitive skin and brakeouts on my face and I asked about that in ‘raw food and sports nutrition’ discussion on VegSource.com and got answer from Dr. Graham.

littlegems – we’ll definitely miss you! But, that being said, everyone’s raw food journey is different, and I think it’s awesome that you’ve found your balance and what really works for your body and your mind.

Good luck with the rest of your journey, and say hello every now and then! Big Hugs

• Oatmeal Bliss,

Thank you so much for the link. i scanned the page and it really great!I will get to reading it later. Much appreciated!!