Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

sept 811rv support group?

123457»

Comments

• Hey Oatmeal Bliss, thanks so much for the link…it’s actually my blog! :)

I have been “toying” with 811rv for a while and I am so glad to really give it a try. Journaling about it really helps me and I thrilled that you posted it because it let me back to this support group! Turns out that Doug Graham is speaking again this Sunday not too far from me so I am going to go hear him again. I swear I actually dreamed about it last night – I probably shouldn’t be admitting that. I have a list of questions that I am going to ask but if anyone else wants to send questions, I am happy to pose them. Last time I was early and helped him set up which gave me lots of quality time with him. I am planning to do that again this week!

• Has anyone experience tooth/gum problems while 811? I’ve been eating a high fruit diet for almost two months now and my gums are starting to be iritated, actually inflamed.

I will admit, I felt that the need for brushing wasn’t top priority since I was eating the way nature intended me to. I also forgot, that in nature I would most likely be chomping on some chewing sticks, or leaves to help clean the mouth. So needless to say, my gums aren’t in top shape. I’m brushing 3 times a day, with a plant base gel (no gnarly toxic additives) and flossing.

Last night, my mouth felt better after brushing, including this morning when I woke up. When I had my first meal (“lunch” a whole lot of ‘nanas) my gums now feel inflamed again! I’m getting worried that this diet might not be the best for me? I’ve read a lot about teeth issues on this diet, and said I think people just weren’t doing it right, I’ll see what happens with mine, yada yada yada..

Am I not doing this right? Is there a flaw? Am I just paranoid after recently researching so much negative about this diet (I can clearly see and feel the inflamed gums, though)?

Has anyone had this problem, or done anything that prevented them from losing any of their PRECIOUS teeth???

Live, Love Peace.

• Hey Deborah as i mentioned i really like your blog!You can read my reply to your blog as a question to Dr Graham, (without the typos). Also if you really can ask questions and don’t mind can you ask him about hypothyroidism and his general advice and experience.if you can..and if you actually can ask him all this you are a saint!Thanks.

I should go on vegsource to.. which brings me to TREEOFLIFE, have you tried to post your gum issues on vegsource for the 811’s there and Dr Graham?I think there is a lot of 811 bashing you mention. i am not sure where much of the negative feedback is coming from that you see. I am not saying its not or is legitimate, it just seems like there’s there’s “raw camps” for some Guru’s and it seems political sometimes. Meanwhile, good luck and i hope the inflammation is down!

Here’s to another 811 day.

• Hey shazzz, looks like I came on perfect timing. Actually, I did post it on vegsource. Dr Doug has replied to me, asking a question. I hope that in the morning he will point out some flaws to what I am doing. You speak the truth, there is a “war” going on out there. I got really confused and caught up in it this week, too. I’ve been following the natural hygiene way of life and have been believing it to be the best way so far (811 stems from it). Then, I found a NH site that says “High Fruit Low Fat” no no no , blah blah blah. yada yada yada! It got me in a large, very large spin. Not knowing what to do, where to turn to. I was actually about to kick raw to the curb, when all of the sudden I woke up! Realizing that I must try everything on my own, the only way to seek the truth is to unravel it yourself. So that’s where I am today. Feeling better than ever, besides for the gums, and waiting to here back from the doc. Thanks for the wishes! Salud!

• Hi, please tell me, I haven’t got time to go through thread…What is 811? I guessed the rv was raw vegan.. I haven’t a clue, it must be a ratio of some kind!

• Hi, I am new here, juste signed in to join this group. I have read all the thread and i like the posts very much. I am impressed with all the sports you do. I just joined a yoga school lately and i adore my vinyasa class, but i only go once a week. I also walk in the mountain, a little. Nothing compared with Moth! lol

To tell you my story, I have gone raw about six months ago now, and I am convinced that 811rv is the right “diet” (don’t like the word! but my english is not perfect).

So… I had some periods doing 811rv. The first time I followed ‘sort of’ 811rv I didn’t want to count calories and after a while, maybe two or three weeks, and a dramatical loss of weight, I began to feel depressed and tired. I ate cooked food again, mainly rice and beans, after four or five months of eating 100% raw and upset with myself. Then I understood I needed a transition and stopped worrying about food.

The need to eat 100% raw came back after two weeks :)) i was so so glad, and started going all-raw again, then rapidly going 811rv but seriously this time, tracking calories in nutridiary.com (do you know it?). I was planning to do it one week, because it seems harder for me to do more, and finally i did it 9 full days. My daily calories were between 1700 and 2000 with a perfect 80/10/10 most of the time, well a little less for the proteins which are harder to achieve without increasing fats.

And two days ago I craved for rice again, with beans, and here i am off the wagon. Today I even ate pancakes. Pfffff I don’t understand why, my energy was so wonderful, my skin beautiful, no detox problems because I had detoxed well during the first months of eating raw, and i was not hungry either. Now of course I feel tired, need sleeping in the afternoon, poo smells awful lol well you know. So I hope I will start 811rv again, because it is the best way for me to feel good, it is an increible health experience, and I hope I will understand what was wrong. I could not swallow more fruit, felt too full of sugar (yes I know rice and beans are sugar too).

TreeOfLife, my gums hurt last week, then i stopped brushing for a few days (my toothbrush is too hard, can’t find a soft one where i live). I rinsed my mouth with water and a drop of teatree instead, then I felt better and could brush again, lightly.

Debs60, 811rv is: 80% of calories in carbs, 10% proteins and 10% fats, and all raw and vegan.

Well I don’t want to be too boring, so I stop writing.

See you!

PS: I forgot to say that I am French, and I live in Costa Rica. The most important lol

• Thanks Superpapaya, it sounds a bit tricky to keep to, but I might aim for that myself. Anyway, Welcome to the website!

• Shazzz, what exactly is your question? Do you want me to ask him how people with hypothyroidism can successfully eat 811rv without medication? or something like that? I don’t mean to be daft but I am not sure what info you are looking for.

Jason (TreeOfLife), the last time I heard Dr. Doug speak, someone asked a question about teeth and dental issues. There is no reason that your gums should be inflamed by what you are eating but you mentioned that you have been lax in your routine. You might want to go schedule a cleaning and keep up your regular routine. You may also want to avoid a lot of pineapple, lemon and/or lime juice for a while as they tend to strip your enamal. Brushing twice a day should be adequate, you might be irritating your gums more by brushing midday too.

• TreeOfLife I found out for myself that if I eat any sour fruit I can eat as much as I want without any danger for my teeth if I eat some green leaves with it. It neutralizes the effect that sour juice have on your teeth and gums. So a lot of greens I think can help to fix your problem. At least that helps me.

• Treeof LIFE i thought Dr Grahams reply on vegsouce was great!Yours too. I love your energy . It is clear you are doing well on 811. Doubts and all.

I don’t think you you sound daft Deborah. I do. I tend to write faster than i think and then i am sure people understand me!

I wrote a reply to your blog and without looking back there in this minute I think i wrote about resonating with your writing on cooked'food addiction'. Now i am doubting myself, did you write that?Anyway, Dr Graham and his wife also speak of food being addictive.So,I didn't have a specific question about this, I just wondered how one can 'get' best through these addictions .

As far as Hypothyroidism goes again, I just had a general question regarding this. Can you ask him what his experience treating hypothyroidism is?What he can generally say about it.

Of course i don’t expect you to ask these questions unless you want to.No worries. i was just responding to your really nice shout out for any questions.

Hang in there 811’ers.it looks like a few of us our challenged lately. I have a theory (why not…). That seasonal changes make us vulnerable. i am going to prep for my seasonal changes..start a little early intro with foods that are coming. I gave up melons as the season changed and i think my pallette was unfulfilled by apples and autumn foods.To quick an adjustment..a theory…

• Shazzz, your theory seems pretty correct to me. I completely agree. As far as the melons, this summer I was eating melons every single day, now I’m on to apples and mangoes and a few other great foods for the fall! I absolutely love it, besides for my swollen gums! I think I may get a deep cleaning, as recommend by Graham. I’m thinking I might have always had problems, but now that my body has time to focus on my mouth, it’s going to town! I just hope I don’t lose any of my chompers….

• Deborah-

I am glad my post led you back to Gone Raw. I enjoyed your Dr. Graham entry, and I enjoy your blog in general. I am addicted to your Cauliflower Couscous!

• Thanks everyone (Deb, Shazz, grasshopper) for all of your tips! My gums have been getting better since I started being more aware of my issue. I also switched toothpastes back to my natural tea tree oil (I figure I might as well keep on that until my body is clean enough to use something different.)

I’ve been eating apples, a lot of them. I’ve been picking them and my body has been CRAVING them. I wonder if it’s helping with clean my teeth?

A good tip (DON’t SHOOT ME FOR THIS ONE): I have unlimited access to apples at the time, so I’ve been picking a lot of them. Wondering what am I going to do with all of these apples (over 100lbs!!), I decided to make them into apple sauce! My first batch, I stored in tupperware and it fermented on me after a few days. HERE COMES THE TIP I now make my apple sauce, and add a little bit of honey, just a little over a tbsp per 32 oz Mason jar. These sauces have lasted me multiple weeks! It works great!

Honey is a natural preserver. I suggest to make sure you know where you’re getting your honey from. Raw, unfiltered honey from a small local farm that do not harm the bee’s in production, at all, is key!

• Hi TreeOfLife, i replied to you too, and adviced about tea tree oil.

Thanks debs for welcoming me ;)

• I spent my second Sunday in a row at an event featuring Dr. Doug Graham. His talk this week was different than last week and I really soaked up as much of his wisdom as I could. I took detailed notes and transcribed what I learned on my blog: http://rawvelations.wordpress.com/2008/10/05/go…. Even if you are not interested in following the 80/10/10 diet, I suggest reading through it. He shares a lot of information on the connection between diet and disease that is nothing short of fascinating.

• Hello, I have a question! How much time is one supposed to wait between two meals of fruit? It takes me so long to eat a whole pineapple or a kilo of rambutan that when I have finished it is time to eat again, if I want to absorb enough calories in the day. Is it ok if I am eating all day or almost? Or should I start at 4 a.m? lol

• ROMAINE question. why do i hear romaine lettuce said so much about 811? in this thread and in dr. graham and his wife’s youtube stuff. is there something special i don’t know about romaine? why not spinach and kale and iceberg and all the other greens or maybe i’ve just skipped over some posts that mention these other ones??

• also i love reading this thread…i watched all of dr. graham’s lecture to the organic athlete conference, up on you tube, and loved it. from watching a lot of his stuff and reading these threads i feel like i really want to try 811. 3 weeks ago i went raw…i haven’t cooked a single thing myself but on occasion will eat some cooked vegan food if it’s free and offered to me, hey can’t turn down a free lunch. but i feel like i rushed into raw and despite reading so much about it i still didn’t really know what i was doing. 811 makes so much sense to me and as a long distance runner and aspiring endurance athlete this all seems right to me! atleast to give it a good shot. i’ll be starting whenever my raw-non811 food runs out:)

even though i feel pretty educated on 811, does anyone have a copy of 811 they’d wanna sell to me? i don’t wanna pay the $30 on amazon or whatever!

• Hi guys,

Just wanted to give a quick update.

Well, I was really good in France – stuck to 811 except for 2 small cooked meals. On the days I had the cooked meals, I was very nauseous. I thought it was due to being in the car for too long.

Anyways got back and started experiencing the most awful nausea. Turns out I’m pregnant :-) I guess 811 sure is the way to go to reach optimum hormonal health.

Well, I’ve been feeling really really AWFUL – nausea 24 hrs day. I’m finding it really hard to eat.

I stocked up on tons of my favorite fruits & veg and nothing appeals to me. I can only really stomach certain apples, oranges and tomatoes. So not wanting to loose any more weight, I’ve been adding in a cooked meal once a day. This is probably not the best thing to do, but I’m underweight as it is.

Anyone had any experiences with this sort of thing??? I’d love to hear if so.

Hope you’re all doing great!!!

Lotsa love,

Nicky

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

Nicky…CONGRATULATIONS!!! I wish I could help you with the nausea thing. Have you tried posting on Dr. Graham’s board? Good luck to you and congrats again. :)

kennyt, nothing special about romaine. It’s just a very accessible tender leafy green. Plus, most people like the taste. Kale, however, is very tough and hard to digest (not to mention very bitter). It’s not recommended.

Sorry, the only way you’ll get my copy of 80/10/10 is if you pry it from my cold, dead body. ;) Seriously, though, as long as you stick to the “as much fruit as you care for” mantra, you should be fine. Oh, if you haven’t already, try visiting Dr. Graham’s board on vegsource.com

Swayze :)

• Congratulations Nicky!!!! How was France? (I am French)

Noone can reply to my question? Well, more and more I can eat large portions, and leave time between meals, I am training my stomach. Yesterday I ate 7 bananas in the same meal, I didn’t know I could do that.

• I COULD pry the 80/10/10 from a cold body lol

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Why are we not permitted to graze? I read a post about this creating an acid environment, but I just cannot go longer than 3 hours without food. i just had 32 oz of coconut water, mango raspberry and spinach smoothie. I’ll be hungry in 2 hours, but i’ll throw up if I have anything more now.

• That’s fine that you can’t go any longer than 3 hours without food. I was like that in the beginning also. One thing you need to learn about is true hunger. Another thing you need to make sure your doing is getting enough calories, and eating no more than 3 bananas won’t get you there izhpt!

It’s understandable that you can’t eat as much food. How long have you been eating concentrated foods? Probably a lot longer than you have been eating whole foods. It’s going to take some time to get there. Don’t eat to the point were you will feel like you’re going to throw up, but eat to the point wherer you are full, and than have a little more. Just so you can stretch your stomach out. Some meals I will eat untill I’m full now a days, others I won’t. I know how much fuel I need to keep my body going, and that is all that matters.

Superpapaya, way to go on the 7 bananas in a meal! Yesterday I had 20 :). I went for a decent bike ride and had to get some fuel in me. To answer your post, it is ideal not to eat all day. If you eat all day, you constantly have digestive acids running in your body, creating tat acid environment izhpt mentioned. We are suppose to have an alkaline body (well blood atleast), and the acid will throw us off balance, causing base elements to be taken from our bones (calcium, magnesium, etc). Which is a reason why the public says drink a lot of milk and fortified oj, because of all of the calcium that our body needs. They need so much calcium because they’re trying to digest such acid forming elements.

In the beginning, it is okay to eat 4 or so meals. Try stretching your stomach out in each meal. Do this until you can get enough fuel in 3 meals, than do that until your down to 2. Most days I have 2 meals,some days i have to have 3 depending on my activities.

KennyT, it’s worth the $30. And plus, I’m not selling you mine :)

lets start posting on te october thread now!