flaxseed replacement

DreaDrea Raw Master

Although I do like flaxseeds, it would be nice if there was an option for something else.

Is there any other seed that can “glue” things together in my dehydrator?

Comments

• I can’t eat more than 1/4 cup of flax in a recipe. I don’t know why, but I can’t stand the taste, the smell, just can’t eat it! I’ve recently discovered Chia seeds, and it is definitely gluey too. I haven’t substituted it for flax yet in recipes, but I found a recipe here for chia crackers. I actually am not eating sesame anymore either, since my daughter is allergic to it, so I used soaked then dehydrated buckwheat instead of the sesame. :)

• DreaDrea Raw Master

littlegems, wow that does help, i have some chia. is the taste better? Sometimes the smell and taste of flax can be overpowering.

It’s weird because the smell is off a little, when I first started using them, I thought the seeds were bad. But I do like flaxseeds.

Is there any other suggestions?

• CHIA are WONDERFUL seeds! I don’t dehydrate my stuff, own one but don’t care to use it much at all… so I’m not sure how hemp seed would do but it’s right up there in nutrition… black sesame seeds are wonderful too. How about sprouted sunflower seeds?

Have any of you tried raw poppyseeds? I’ve been wanting to experiment with them for awhile, might encourage me to make some muffins with my dehydrator.

• DreaDrea Raw Master

Well…I dont think hemp seeds are “gluey” enough for pizza crust and stuff like that.

• Hi Dreasraw, I’m with you on the flax seed thing. I tend to get tired of them from time to time and then I usually use psyllium seeds instead. They are really gluey and a great sub! Good luck!

• DreaDrea Raw Master

what do psyllium seeds taste like? and do I use the same as I would use flaxseeds?

• Well in my opinion they don’t taste much at all actually. The seeds are much smaller than flax but I usually use about the same amount as I would flax. If you want to try them, start with a little bit less than the reciepe calls for and add little by little until you get the right consistency.

• DreaDrea Raw Master

forgive me jennyhelga for all these questions, but you might be making m raw experience an even better one! Would I soak in water to make them guey like flaxseeds? Since it doesnt taste like anything, should i lower the spices in my recipes? because usually i beef the spices up to overpower the taste of flax. Are they as cheap as flaxseed?

• Sorry for my late reply…I’m on the other side of the world so I usually sleep when the disussions on this forum are the most active… :-) Yes, you soak psyllium to make them gluey, and they can be used instead of flax in flax crackers etc. Maybe you should go a little less crazy on the spices the first time you try them. However, I don’t think they taste as much as flax, but maybe your taste buds won’t agree? Hope you won’t be disappointed! There is one difference between the two seeds; the psyllium are much smaller and can be a bit harder than flax when soaked and dehydrated. I think flax changes its texture more than the psyllium, but that’s something I have gotten used to. I don’t know how much psyllium cost in the US, but here in Sweden they are quite cheap, maybe a little more than flax, but not much. Hope I have answered your questions? Good luck!

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

AArgh! Flax! I hear you! I make these delicious crackers and everytime I’m just bloated and just cannot handle this kind of fiber??? Yet i tolerate psyllium just fine. Every once in awhile I like a raw bread, but maybe i’ll try it with psyllium instead of flax. Great burgers on this site—I think they are Sprouted Black bean burgers – I make them w/ sunseeds instead of black beans and this is one recipe i make weekly. They are fast! Delicious! No flax!

• DreaDrea Raw Master

ok, Ive been looking around a little. Please tell me the differnce between psyllium seeds, psyllium husk, and psyllium seed husk. Because I’m trying to place an order and there asking me which one and honestly, I dont know (LOL) HELP

• Hmmm, I’m not sure about the difference between the psyllium husk and the psyllium seed husk. All I know is that I usually use the whole psyllium seed, and it works fine for crackers and stuff. To me it sounds like there would be more substance to the seed than the husk, which would make them more suitable for crackers. Maybe someone else can tell you what the husk is used for?

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Dreasraw~ I would order the psyllium seed…

I soak sunflower seeds over night, rinse, drain and toss into the food process to make a goop to hold my crackers together… When I add chia, it is so I am adding omega’s therefore my crackers will be more nurtritious for my brain…